Talk

Advanced search

to think the BBC are trying to push an agenda with this housing benefit story

(6 Posts)
madhurjazz Sun 21-Aug-16 18:19:59

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37119403

What are they trying to achieve with this? Of course tax payers shouldn't be paying for an adult couple where only one works part time to have a 4 bedroomed house.

Anyone else sense this trying to create conflict to push through more cuts?

HornyTortoise Sun 21-Aug-16 19:03:25

Does seem to be an awful lot of stories about benefits recently (even more than normal). Fully expecting another round of cuts, though what is left to cut...besides pensions (which shouldn't' be included in the 'benefit' bill anyway really...) is beyond me.

worriedmother1929 Sun 21-Aug-16 19:10:46

YANBU. BBC are clearly trying to start something against private landlords, even though all they are doing is providing a house, and one newsreader in our local area described them as "money-grabbing", I've seen other articles saying that private landlords are "guzzling" money from the taxpayer.

As for the article - why on earth would 2 people need a four bedroom house?! Especially when one only works part-time, and the other doesn't. Downsizing is something deemed as essential for young families to enable them to save, so why should older people be exempt from having to downsize? Why on earth should they get something back because they've paid tax?! Maybe if they had three or four teenagers living under their roof, or couldn't cope with small space.
Seems to be a vendetta against private landlords really.

madhurjazz Mon 22-Aug-16 10:30:19

Humm I didn't really think of the private landlords angle on this. It just seems so obvious that they are all up to something.

I do laugh when people praise the BBC for how great and impartial it is and how its a world apart from rt.

seahorse106 Mon 22-Aug-16 10:34:22

They would be getting the equivalent of a 1 bed property in housing benefit and topping up the remaining rent themselves. It's up to them if they want to live in a 4 bed house.
I get housing benefit and have to pay £250 a month on top because my rent is that much more than what I get on hb. I live in a 2 bed flat with 2 children.

bloodyteenagers Mon 22-Aug-16 10:43:40

There's a huge change coming in November with housing benefit.
speye.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/no-job-no-house-begins-7-november/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now