Talk

Advanced search

To think that if my Facebook "friends" really cared about Breast Cancer Awareness they would have liked & shared my status?

(63 Posts)
Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:20:22

My feed is full of these obscure 'I'm getting married/going on Masterchef/using my boobs to get out of a speeding ticket statuses" at the moment that are supposed to be raising awareness of breast cancer. You like & comment thinking the status is real then you get sent a PM asking you to do the same.

The very first time this went around years ago with the bra colours it was unique & a bit humourous but it's getting ridiculous now.

So I posted a status stating I'm not getting married & I quite like wearing underwear but I was paying a link to a website showing you how to check your breasts for lumps etc.

So far not one person has liked, commented or shared. If they really cared about raising awareness surely they would promote this and the importance of recognising the early symptoms etc?

MadHattersWineParty Sun 21-Aug-16 12:22:49

Honestly? I don't like people telling me what to do with my Facebook.

idontlikealdi Sun 21-Aug-16 12:23:25

I don't get involved with anything like that on Facebook.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Sun 21-Aug-16 12:24:11

A couple of points.

The bra colours one was not funny.

Any status update requiring me to publicly declare my awareness of or sympathy to ANY cause gets immediately hidden and the poster goes in the Cunt Book.

Maybe that's just me.

Thefitfatty Sun 21-Aug-16 12:24:36

I don't think any of them do it because they care about breast cancer awareness, they do it for attention.

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:24:47

That's fine if you are also not one of those people sharing these daft "I'm using my socks for toilet paper statuses".

They can share that to allegedly promote awareness but not something that may actually make a difference.

Amelie10 Sun 21-Aug-16 12:24:47

You sound controlling to think adults should do as you say.

AliceInUnderpants Sun 21-Aug-16 12:25:01

hmm

NeedACleverNN Sun 21-Aug-16 12:26:02

If anyone posted a status asking me to share on behalf of xxx it immediately gets ignored

I don't take notice of chain mail statuses.

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:26:23

I havnt told anyone to do anything. They are the ones filling my feed up with these statuses & private messages telling me what to do.

TheNewSchmoo Sun 21-Aug-16 12:26:30

I ignore stuff like that, my Facebook is mine. A close friend of mine is a breast cancer survivor. I don't love her or understand what she went through any less because I don't share Facebook spam. (Which is what I consider it).

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 21-Aug-16 12:28:33

Theres nothing duller than shite on FB telling you what to do.
Pray for this, share for that, read this and you'll be blown away, you will not believe your eyes if you click here, say amen if you don't want this kid to die of a horrible disease. It goes on and on.

It's just FB, not anything life changing

MadHattersWineParty Sun 21-Aug-16 12:28:49

So you don't want to share their status but you're pissed off as they don't want to share yours? confused

I ignore all stuff like that. Doesn't mean I don't give a shit or am not unaware of a vast array of causes, ta very much.

WannaBeDifferent Sun 21-Aug-16 12:30:00

Sharing something on FB bears no resemblance to real life . I wonder how many people that did the ice bucket challenge actually donated? Not many I bet.

I can't beat all these stupid posts that say if you don't share , you don't care. Those that don't share are probably out raising money without the need for recognition and back slapping from fellow FBers .

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:32:57

I'm just saying that if they really cared about raising awareness they would post a link to a site detailing early symptoms or how to check yourself or whatever rather than those statuses.

A friend's partner died from pancreatic cancer. A hugely underfunded cancer that not many were aware of. I wasn't & would have had no idea what the symptoms to look out for were.

Before he died he bravely took part ina national campaign that did raise awareness. I for one am grateful he did & I hope lives have been saved because of it.

Baeb Sun 21-Aug-16 12:34:52

So you've posted a judgey preachy status ("this is how you REALLY raise awareness"), and are shocked by the lack of response from people who will feel, er, judged by it? confused

I hate all that FB stuff by the way and ignore - not what I use the site for...

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:35:48

Can I reiterate that I would never expect anyone who ignores all these daft statuses to comment.

mrsfuzzy Sun 21-Aug-16 12:36:36

christ, how ever did charities manage before face shite turned up ?

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:39:10

The large ones used expensive press adverts. Plus mail shots & tv adverts which of course still happen.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Sun 21-Aug-16 12:40:08

The large ones used expensive press adverts. Plus mail shots & tv adverts which of course still happen

No shit?

shock

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:42:25

Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

Charities have always had a multi pronged approach to its campaigns, press, billboards, mail shots & now the Internet.

They do have limited budgets though & social media must have bee a boost to them

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:43:58

Well. I'm obviously unreasonable.

I accept that it's better for people to post obscure statuses about going on Masterchef than to share how to spot the early signs of cancer & I'll leave it at that.

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Aug-16 12:46:18

I honestly can't imagine how low the level of intelligence was, of the person who dreamed this up confused

An 'awareness' campaign that involves secrecy and inbox messages?

Riiiight

ilovesooty Sun 21-Aug-16 12:46:47

I don't have anything to do with shared awareness spam on Facebook either.

Now a friend of mine is hosting an entertainment evening with all proceeds going to pancreatic cancer. I'll gladly attend that and donate.

Justawaterformeplease Sun 21-Aug-16 12:47:21

How do you know your Facebook "friends" haven't read your link and subsequently checked themselves? Surely that should be your motivation in posting a link like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now