to think it is ok to turn up to a church service half an hour late?

(139 Posts)
NoahVale Sun 21-Aug-16 09:27:51

i have to take both dds at the same time in different directions.
one is a church service, to do with the NCS she has just done.

church service will surely be all accepting?

SoupDragon Sun 21-Aug-16 09:28:36

I think it's pretty rude to turn up anywhere half an hour late.

davos Sun 21-Aug-16 09:29:03

Is it just a Sunday morning butch service?

I would say it's ok, but at the church I grew up going to, it would be over 15 minutes after I arrived so I wouldn't bother.

Amelie10 Sun 21-Aug-16 09:29:06

No it's rude

DropYourSword Sun 21-Aug-16 09:29:35

Why not turn up at the first place half an hour early and get to the church on time?

Amelie10 Sun 21-Aug-16 09:29:36

No it's rude

almostthirty Sun 21-Aug-16 09:29:45

Personally I don't think it's a ever good to turn up late unless it's pre arranged. Could you call in advance and let them know, that may make it slightly better.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 21-Aug-16 09:29:46

I imagine the church will be fine with it but I wouldn't do it, it's disruptive to the service and the other people there. Surely you're going to miss most of the service anyway? At least 50%.

Where does the other DD need to be? Can she get there half an hour late instead? Otherwise I think I'd let them do alternate weeks so nobody is horrendously late or rude and try to arrange other transport.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 21-Aug-16 09:30:36

Rude. Also, thirty minutes late and you've missed the Gospel, so it doesn't really count as attending.

ScallopedSkirt Sun 21-Aug-16 09:30:40

No, it's rude.

almostthirty Sun 21-Aug-16 09:30:48

Sorry just realised it's a church service, no its not good to be late. Either drop early or not at all.

NoahVale Sun 21-Aug-16 09:31:07

no, the other dd needs to be at work.
i did suggest she arrived at work early, ie, drop her first but neither are ready

rude it is

acasualobserver Sun 21-Aug-16 09:32:03

Yes, it's perfectly fine ... if you meant to be on time.

Lules Sun 21-Aug-16 09:32:38

Loads of people turn up late to my church. No-one cares as long as you're quiet and sit somewhere unobtrusive. I wouldn't want to go somewhere that wasn't accepting. However my church is big so it wouldn't be noticed much. I guess it would be a bit different in a small parish church.

Egosumquisum Sun 21-Aug-16 09:34:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 21-Aug-16 09:35:25

It's not so much the disturbing others aspect though. It's the respect issue. You don't waltz into church when you're deliberately thirty minutes late. You go to another service that you can attend properly.

Leviticus Sun 21-Aug-16 09:36:44

Of course it isn't rude!

You're not late because you couldn't be arsed.

NarcyCow Sun 21-Aug-16 09:37:13

If it's a big church it's not likely to be that noticeable. Back when I used to go to mass, people were popping in and out all the time for various reasons but you only really noticed if you were sitting at the very back (which you would only have been doing if you had turned up late yourself or were planning to nip out before the end).

T0ddlerSlave Sun 21-Aug-16 09:37:16

If you're late you just hover in the foyer til they break for a hymn or someone is walking up to the front or something. Just don't bang heavy doors during prayer or sermon and you're good.

LittleBearPad Sun 21-Aug-16 09:38:38

is it just a Sunday morning butch service?

Awesome autocorrect

NoahVale Sun 21-Aug-16 09:39:20

it is only a one off, it is not a normal occurrence. dd doesnt normally go to church.

I thought God wouldnt mind

Egosumquisum Sun 21-Aug-16 09:39:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Slave2thecat Sun 21-Aug-16 09:41:32

Depends on the church - they are all different. Some have longer services than others, some are generally louder. Some have cafe style spaces you can sit in others have very little space so it would be really obvious and more disruptive.

Generally you should be able to drop in and be accepted as you are tho.

ApocalypseSlough Sun 21-Aug-16 09:43:18

God wouldn't mind but the NCS organisers might. Drop worker off early and get there ASAP

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 21-Aug-16 09:43:53

Ah, so is it a church service to do with an event or something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now