Advanced search

To organise desperate travel insurance

(24 Posts)
Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 08:48:58

Child is going abroad with father. I asked about travel insurance - was happy to buy her separately and a couple of days later he said he'd sorted it. Only I haven't seen anything and keep thinking if they all get injured together (lots of driving) I have no information about getting child home. I know that this is my anxiety getting to me, but he's also put her down as living at his house and child doesn't. Child is under 18.

Travels within the next 24 hours - would you buy seperately?

Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 08:49:35

SEPARATE (oh for crying out loud.....) - sorry

donajimena Sun 21-Aug-16 08:52:23

Hmm not sure in case he already does have a policy. I'm with you totally. Id ring an insurer asap and tell them what you have said here.

BrightOranges Sun 21-Aug-16 08:55:17

If he has put her down as living with him and she doesn't then it will be invalid. Just get insurance for peace of mind.

Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 08:56:06

Thank you both - that was my thought too

ColdAndGloomy Sun 21-Aug-16 08:59:59

If you get duplicate insurance then i think you risk neither company paying up if anything happens. You just need to get details off him. I don't think the address would be such a big deal.

NotPennysBoat Sun 21-Aug-16 09:06:41

Yes if she ends up 'double insured' both policies will be void in the event of a claim.

Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 09:07:03

That was my concern Cold, only her father behaves as if it's the secret servicehmm

Berthatydfil Sun 21-Aug-16 09:07:39

You can get single trip insurance from someone like travel and go for about £30.
You can get it the day before /day you go.
If you are in any doubt I would just for piece of mind. Print off the policy out it in an envelope in the suitcase for her.

ThePinkOcelot Sun 21-Aug-16 09:09:53

Would it be void though?! Would it not just mean that you couldn't claim twice?

iamamug Sun 21-Aug-16 09:12:02

Dual insurance does NOT mean neither Insurer will pay, they actually share the claim.

QOD Sun 21-Aug-16 09:12:40

Subrogation would be applied
Ie both ins co's would potentially initially say they wouldn't pay but in fact one would and the other would reimburse a proportion
Just make a note of the term to quote should it happen
I've been dual insured before as I saved my annual insurance to my desk top then got a new pc
Didn't claim but would have fought as above
Do it

Artandco Sun 21-Aug-16 09:15:17

You can defiantly be double insured

We have family insurance through bank. So covers us all seperate or together

Plus Dh and I have seperate through work

If we go somewhere like skiing we have additional ski insurance.

So if say we go skiing, and flights cancelled, Dh and I would actually be covered by three companies

reallybadidea Sun 21-Aug-16 09:15:38

Of course having two policies doesn't void both of them. Why would it?!

Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 09:17:37

Just messaged him asking for details - think I'll take the passport and medical card details and just do it anyway, at least that way someone would talk to me rather than has data protection regulations chucked in my face

sophiestew Sun 21-Aug-16 09:23:51

As she is 18, doesn't she have to make her own declarations etc? Obviously you can pay for it, but she's an adult. Is she with you now?

I would get her to take out a single trip policy and just use your card to pay.

nightandthelight Sun 21-Aug-16 09:33:44

DH works in insurance. The incorrect address makes the insurance invalid. Double insurance is fine.

Berthatydfil Sun 21-Aug-16 09:34:12

Sophie op said child is under 18

Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 09:34:24

Sophie - she's under 18 hence the issue

Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 09:35:55

Thank you nightandlight - I've photographed the travel doc and will sort once I've dropped her off

sophiestew Sun 21-Aug-16 09:35:59


So sorry - am blaming my new glasses!!!

3littlefrogs Sun 21-Aug-16 09:38:11

It is perfectly fine to have 2 policies, you just can't claim on both.

She is under 18 so you can go on line and buy a year's multitrip policy for her at very reasonable cost. The important thing is to tick the correct boxes WRT activities - so try and be as accurate as possible - overestimate if you have to. Things like scuba diving and snow sports do cost a bit more, but obviously worth it. I use Columbus travel insurance for holidays, gap year travel etc.

If they are going to Europe she will still need her EHIC as well as travel insurance.

specialsubject Sun 21-Aug-16 10:06:35

Buy the insurance.

Nb - annual travel policy means each trip must be under 31 days.

Foslady Sun 21-Aug-16 10:21:33

Sorted - thank you everyone, very must appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now