Talk

Advanced search

To worry about my periods?

(11 Posts)
user1470516192 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:12:38

I'm aware that I should consult a doctor, but it's Saturday, so any helpful advice/similar experiences would be nice to ease my mind.

I've always had a longer cycle than most women, usually 35 days or so. Very sporadic after DC2 was born and didnt have one for nearly a year after birth (though did breastfeed which I hear can stop periods)

My last few periods have been really long, and really heavy. Sorry for TMI but lots of clots even on day one. Usually lasting 7/8 days. The last two periods I've had the cramping a week before it's due with some bloody CM, which I've thought was the period starting, but it would stop and start a week later. Then after bleeding for 8 days or so it stops completely, and then the cramps start again (almost like ovulation cramps) and I will get a small amount of bloody CM again, once a day or so for about 3 days. Which makes me technically bleeding for around 14 days a month. This isn't normal right?!

It's gotten worse since having the copper coil (which was fitted as emergency contraception 6 months ago - single and not sexually active so could technically have removed) I had a smear in April and it all came back normal.

Seriously hate periods.

user1470516192 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:16:48

Oh and DC2 is 4 so definitely not post partum hormones

MillionToOneChances Sat 20-Aug-16 22:48:10

How old are you? My periods have been all over the place. GP said it's v common in 40s, but did send me for loads of tests to rule out underlying causes before I had a Mirena coil put in which has pretty much stopped them.

user1470516192 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:56:16

Million I'm 27 which is what worries me. I've never had spotting or anything like this before, though periods did get heavier after having children (but both are school age now) I've been told to go on the pill but I feel it's unnecessary as I don't like artificial hormones in my body, and I am single

maisybobbins Sat 20-Aug-16 22:57:04

I'd seriously consider getting the copper coil removed OP. I felt like I was bleeding on and off all the time with mine - waited 18 months for it to settle but it never did. Had it removed and my periods immediately returned to normal.

MillionToOneChances Sat 20-Aug-16 22:59:15

Definitely see your GP anyway, but I've heard similar things about the copper coil. Love my Mirena, totally different (plastic with mild dose of hormones).

Boysnme Sat 20-Aug-16 23:00:00

I have the mirena coil and like Million barely have a period however have not long come back from a weekend with friends and two of them have recently been fitted with copper coil. Both of them were commenting on how bad and long their periods now were - similar to what you have described. There is a good chance it could be because of that but if you are worried then get yourself to a doctors when you can and get checked out.

ClopySow Sat 20-Aug-16 23:06:07

I had the same thing with the copper coil. I liked it as a contraceptive but i was bleeding really heavily and my periods were lasting 8 or 9 days. I ended up anaemic.

I'd get it taken out and try a diaphragm if you don't like hormonal contraceptives.

Heatherjayne1972 Sun 21-Aug-16 08:34:21

If you finished having babies you could consider a uterine ablation

abigwideworld Sun 21-Aug-16 10:28:51

Copper coil is famous for causing long extra heavy periods

user1470516192 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:03:30

Is it? It's funny how that's not listed as one of the side effects angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now