AIBU to ask my neighbours to remove a cable on our roof?

(84 Posts)
Mouse510 Sat 20-Aug-16 20:58:33

We have just noticed that our new neighbours have run a cable from our TV aerial into their house. This would have entailed someone going up on our roof and running the cable along the whole length of the roof. We live in an old cottage and have had some leaks from our roof in the past. My DH has been on the roof and sorted them but now we may well have more slates moved/slipped.

We are now in the position of having to ask them to remove the cable, find out why they did it in the first place without so much as a by your leave, and I want to tell them that if any repairs are required then they will be liable!!

AIBU to think they have been a) cheeky and b) bloody rude? We don't want to fall out with them but I'm not happy to just ignore it.

AliceInUnderpants Sat 20-Aug-16 20:59:58

Tell them to feck off. I'd not even mention it, just passive aggressively go up there and disconnect the cable myself
Cheeky bastards can get their own aerial!

AntiHop Sat 20-Aug-16 22:11:43

Yanbu. That is not acceptable. But perhaps they weren't aware that whoever they hired to sort their aerial actually did that?

RaspberryOverload Sat 20-Aug-16 22:24:13

I think you need to talk to them first. As a pp said, they may not know exactly what's been done.

Then you can insist that everything is properly restored and any damage fixed.

Mouse510 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:33:32

I did say to my husband that a contractor has probably done it, but they have hooked up to an aerial that is clearly ours (on our roof, a good distance from their house). The aerial that used to be on their house is now gone! We paid for a new aerial to be fitted a few years ago after our old one was damaged in wind (it had been fitted badly by previous owners). So it's annoying that they are just making use of something without asking that we paid for. Plus the fact of someone scrambling about on our roof without our knowledge.

We will be going to speak to them although I am very tempted to just cut the cable! wink

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 20-Aug-16 22:34:35

Rip it out.

Masketti Sat 20-Aug-16 22:37:15

On your roof? Just get it disconnected. No need for dramas and demands. You can do what you like on your own roof.

I'm presuming you both work out of the house hence you didn't notice it being fitted?

MimiSunshine Sat 20-Aug-16 22:39:50

I'd speak to them and say "are you aware there is a cable running along our roof from our ariel to your roof?" Gives them chance to explain but if they deny all knowledge then just say "well no problem we just thought we'd mention it and we're having it removed anyway" it will be interesting to see what they say at that point

ChasedByBees Sat 20-Aug-16 23:08:10

Is it a new cable?

Therealbumshady Sun 21-Aug-16 11:09:10

I'd be very cross it can cost £££ to fit new Ariel , so either they are taking the piss or the contractor is angry

TeaStory Sun 21-Aug-16 11:17:23

I'd just go up there and remove it, if I could.

Berthatydfil Sun 21-Aug-16 11:33:23

Gosh cheeky sods. I would just get up there and cut it off.

StackladysMorphicResonator Sun 21-Aug-16 11:40:29

Wow, some people have more front than Blackpool!

Come back and update when you've spoken to the cheeky feckers!

MrsMushrooms Sun 21-Aug-16 11:49:42

That's so rude! Personally I'd just remove the wire and check for any damage while I was up there. If there is any, confront them. If not, just leave it once you've got rid of the wire.

Waffles80 Sun 21-Aug-16 11:56:14

That is BEYOND rude. What are you going to say to them?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 21-Aug-16 12:03:23

Actually I don't see why you should put yourselves at risk climbing up on a roof (unless you are experienced climbers)
Ask /tell them to arrange to have it removed and pay for any repars

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 21-Aug-16 12:03:45

I'm so placemarking! grinshock

mummymeister Sun 21-Aug-16 12:04:18

Either a contractor has done it and will probably have charged them for a new aerial and they have been ripped off. or they knew that they were using your aerial and have been incredibly cheeky.

either way, you have to go round and speak to them. what next? they break into your house and raid the freezer?

you need to take it down. if you leave it there then there are all sorts of issues about this in future. if you just ignore it then it almost becomes a right to continue to supply.

I am hoping that they had no knowledge of this but suspect that they are banking on you being too nice to stop it.

StuffandBother Sun 21-Aug-16 12:05:55

who would actually do that? I sometimes wonder if I live on a different planet!

seven201 Sun 21-Aug-16 12:08:41

Unbelievably rude! I bet they just thought you wouldn't notice. Let us know what they say.

dominogally Sun 21-Aug-16 12:09:42

Cheeky buggers! shock

TheHobbitMum Sun 21-Aug-16 12:11:06

I'd cut the damn cable! How rude! Unbelievable

Hastalapasta Sun 21-Aug-16 12:15:10

I would ask them if they knew about it, not sure what I would say if they admitted it! Hope you can resolve this peacefully. grin

PovertyPain Sun 21-Aug-16 12:15:21

Start as you mean to go on, OP. It may be a misunderstanding or they may be taking the piss. If it's the latter, then nip it in the bud or they may start pushing other boundaries.

HeathOnTheRight Sun 21-Aug-16 12:16:04

Omg!
I'd bet that they didn't realise that the contractor had done it. Surely no one is that cheeky?

I'd be pointing it out & telling them to remove it though. Also agree they would need to pay the cost of repairs if there's been damage to slates etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now