Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think it's normal and polite to offer servicemen a drink?

(181 Posts)
NeedACleverNN Sat 20-Aug-16 19:50:52

We had the gas man round yesterday to do a boiler check. I offered him a drink and he gratefully accepted a coffee.

Dh saw the cup on the drying rack and asked if had guests round. Told him no it was the gasman and he looked confused.

I've always thought you offer them a drink. He thinks they are there to do a job and that drinks are not part of it

Yes? No?

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:52:10

Yes you do YANBU

boozysuzy16 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:52:24

Yes! I would offer a drink I always do to who ever is visiting. It's kind.

wowfudge Sat 20-Aug-16 19:52:25

You know YANBU. It's polite to offer a visitor a drink.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Sat 20-Aug-16 19:52:35

I think my DH would have trouble knowing if a cup was on the rack that wasn't meant to be. Sounds a bit odd that he even noticed it.

LaGattaNera Sat 20-Aug-16 19:52:47

I also offer them a tea or coffee

Creatureofthenight Sat 20-Aug-16 19:53:02

Depends how long they are there, if it's only a quick job I mightn't bother, but otherwise, yes I'd offer a brew.

ScarletOverkill Sat 20-Aug-16 19:53:12

I would say it depends how long they are there for.

Wigglewogglewoo Sat 20-Aug-16 19:53:22

I always do and thought that was normal. I think most people I know do too.

Why would he assume the cup on the rack wasn't yours? Just curious haha.

Squiff85 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:53:37

Ha ha snap DifficultWoman!

Anyway, YANBU, I always offer a drink

NeedACleverNN Sat 20-Aug-16 19:54:07

I think my DH would have trouble knowing if a cup was on the rack that wasn't meant to be. Sounds a bit odd that he even noticed

I don't get many visitors and I always use the same mug when I have a cup of tea so it's obvious if a different mug was used

MozzchopsThirty Sat 20-Aug-16 19:54:23

Yes I always offer a drink
Although like a PP I also think it's off your dh noticed a cup and questioned you about it

elderwand90 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:54:40

I always offer a tea or coffee to anyone who comes in my house workmen included. Dh also does this I think it's rather normal.

FeckinCrutches Sat 20-Aug-16 19:54:57

I think offering the gasman a drink is the least of your worries!

INXS Sat 20-Aug-16 19:55:33

"I think my DH would have trouble knowing if a cup was on the rack that wasn't meant to be. Sounds a bit odd that he even noticed it."

Agree with this, is your husband the jealous type?

EastMidsMummy Sat 20-Aug-16 19:55:55

Erm, a serviceman is someone in the Forces and I opened this thread thinking you were going to buy one a drink in a pub, which seemed odd!

But, yes, of course you offer the plumber, electrician or joiner a cup of tea.

Passmethecrisps Sat 20-Aug-16 19:56:13

I get massively awkward with service folk in the house and generally try to stay out of their way. DH is all about offering tea/coffee and a range of biscuits. Once he even made a round of bacon rolls.

I do if I am feeling sensible of mind and not weirded out by having a stranger in the house.

I am also utterly boggled that your draining board is so clear of usual that your DH would notice.

If there was only one cup on ours my DH would think I was staging some sort of elaborate set up.

NeedACleverNN Sat 20-Aug-16 19:56:27

hmm no he isn't the jealous type. Read above

Passmethecrisps Sat 20-Aug-16 19:57:30

I thought it sounded odd east!

I didn't know if maybe my normal term of workman/tradesman was no longer ok.

NeedACleverNN Sat 20-Aug-16 19:58:08

I couldn't think of the right word grin

Tradesman!!! That's the word I was looking for

MagicalHamSandwich Sat 20-Aug-16 19:58:27

It's definitely the done thing IMO, yes.

I had a plumber come and check out one of my drains last month and he was just generally nasty (turned up 2 hours late, rude, complained about the stuff in my bathroom being expensive crap, ...). He pissed me off to the point where I did not offer him a drink. I considered this silent protest.

TealGiraffe Sat 20-Aug-16 19:58:33

I always offer a brew to tradesmen, sometimes a biscuit if im feeling generous grin

I do it at work too, and as a result we have very loyal tradesmen that bump us up the list when they can. A cuppa / kitkat and a conversation goes a long way.

5moreminutes Sat 20-Aug-16 19:58:50

So I'm the only one who thought you were buying soldiers drinks? grin

Of course it is normal to offer people who do work in your house a coffee/ tea if they are there for a while (I wouldn't if they have just come to read the meter though).

I wouldn't notice extra cups drying, let alone DH, but then the kids use cups too... I assume you are a household of two very tidy people OP!

Wigglewogglewoo Sat 20-Aug-16 19:59:17

don't get many visitors and I always use the same mug when I have a cup of tea so it's obvious if a different mug was used

That makes more sense then! My 14 year old DD will only ever drink from one certain mug and that's a big tell tale sign when she's had friends over and left the the cups in her room. grin

5moreminutes Sat 20-Aug-16 19:59:50

Oops cross post east - blimin DH talking to me while I MN grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now