We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

To think I won't get any help

(14 Posts)
thatthingdoesitagain Sat 20-Aug-16 17:27:35

I work 4 days per week.
I haven't really got any savings yes I know that's not very responsible
I'm in a toxic relationship and I want out. We have a young DC.
AIBU to think that I won't get much support from the council because I work?

Birdsgottafly Sat 20-Aug-16 17:32:05

You'll get the same wether you work or not.

There are special rules adopted for people fleeing DV.

The people on the Relationship board, know their stuff when it comes to situations like yours.

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Aug-16 19:09:42

you need to get sorted asap don't stay in this toxic situation. flowers

lazyarse123 Sat 20-Aug-16 19:49:55

Don't have any advice but good luck flowers

sophiestew Sat 20-Aug-16 19:59:43

What do you mean by "support from the council?" Do you mean housing?

Have you called Womens Aid? They might be able to give you housing advice. Or speak to someone at your local council - people here just cannot advise you as the situation is so different depending on where you live.

As you work, you should be entitled to tax credits. Have you checked what you will be entitled to? Here is the calculator www.entitledto.co.uk/

Do you have anyone you can confide in in RL who will help you?

Good luck flowers

INXS Sat 20-Aug-16 20:00:22

Good luck OP, you are doing the right thing for you and your child. Very brave, Relationships board will help.

WrinklyBathToes Sat 20-Aug-16 21:05:25

Good luck, stay strong flowers

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 20-Aug-16 21:34:06

What special 'DV' benefits?? I know of nothing

You'd be able to apply for same as anyone

Babyroobs Sat 20-Aug-16 21:43:05

Where does op says there is domestic violence? Is that the same as a toxic relationship?

Babyroobs Sat 20-Aug-16 21:50:25

Op if you were to leave your partner then you could claim lone parent tax credits ( depending on your income), child benefit, help with childcare costs and possibly housing benefit. Do you jointly own a house with your partner? If so then you may get housing benefit for a short while until the maritial home is sold.

CazY777 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:58:41

You can get housing benefit and council tax benefit if you are working but are on a low wage and you are renting - they only pay up to a certain amount though, depending on how many bedrooms they decide that you need and the maximum local rate. If you put all your details into one of the online benefits checker that will give you a pretty good idea of what you can claim.

CazY777 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:00:10

Or speak to Citizens Advice, they will do a benefits check for you

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 20-Aug-16 22:01:09

birds mentioned DV... And special rules

I saw toxic mentioned

thatthingdoesitagain Sun 21-Aug-16 11:59:53

Thank you for your comments.

Yes I meant regarding housing help. He owns the house. I really don't want to end up in a women's refuge. He won't give me any notice either.

So far this morning I have been called a dumb c**t as I said I didn't think he should have done something regarding money that I didn't think was right considering we haven't got loads left until payday.

I am worried his attitude will rub off on our dc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now