GB National Anthem at the Olympics

(12 Posts)
WanderingNotLost Sat 20-Aug-16 16:27:31

Am I the only person who's noticed that they're playing the tune wrong? I notice it every time now and it's bugging me

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Aug-16 16:41:42

eh? haven't heard it, what's wrong with it ?

CantChoose Sat 20-Aug-16 16:45:47

Haha you're right but I quite like it grin

WanderingNotLost Sat 20-Aug-16 16:54:19

That little bridge bit between the verse and the chorus, there's usually a 4-note ascending scale leading into 'send her victorious' but they're playing it differently. It's pissing me right off!

Mirandawest Sat 20-Aug-16 16:54:53

It annoys me too.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Sat 20-Aug-16 16:59:36

Get an anthem worth listening to and I might give a shite.

God Save the Queen isn't an anthem it is a slow wet fart of a tune.

OddBoots Sat 20-Aug-16 17:05:43

Didn't they miss that bit in London too? I remember something about the queen not liking that bit.

Birdsgottafly Sat 20-Aug-16 17:12:55

Yes, but it's nice to see even the Daily Mail cheering on the 'right sort of immigrants', especially the Women's Relay team that got Bronze.

I'm finding my FB, quite funny, every person whose page usually only have non-White/Christian etc people on, in memes that declares them as Benefit Scroungers and cowards are appauldung them and wanting Bolt to be British.

I couldn't help but notice that most of the medal winners also have names that MN would take the piss out of and declare 'Chavy'.

marcopront Sat 20-Aug-16 17:16:23

The Indian one which has only been played at the beginning of games is not right either. It is much slower than normal. I hear it three times most weeks and at the cinema so sing along.

Tablefor4 Sat 20-Aug-16 17:21:26

It's not wrong, it's just a different setting. The National Anthem tune is fixed, but there is not an agreed harmony. The Rio organisers have got a different, but perfectly fine version.

If you want to be offended find the version used at the Commonweslth Games somewhere (? Malaysia) that was very odd and practically out of tune.

NotYoda Sat 20-Aug-16 17:22:46

They've sexed it up a bit. I am no mudcian but they've done something with the chords, or something. it's the same tune

RedHelenB Sat 20-Aug-16 17:23:08

I think it's sounded unusually good this games tbh, a bit more peppy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now