Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to say that it's God Save The Queen

(47 Posts)
SwearyGodmother Sat 20-Aug-16 13:42:54

Not God Save Our Queen?

This drives me mad at sporting events in general, so is concentrated at the moment with all that pesky winning at the Olympics, but I'm really dismayed at how few people seem to know the words to the National Anthem. It seems that say our gracious queen, our noble queen confuses people because they then don't sing the queen in the third and last lines.

I appreciate I'm being a grumpy wotsit but AIBU to think if you're going to sing the national anthem at least get the words right.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 20-Aug-16 13:47:25

Nah, no one knows the words anyway, they just mumble along.

You can see the panic in the Olympian's eyes when they realise there's a crucial bit they didn't practice.

MrsSippy Sat 20-Aug-16 13:57:56

it's a rubbish anthem anyway

LucyLucyLou Sat 20-Aug-16 14:06:25

I'm just pleased when they try. Best singers I have seen so far were the rowers Stanning and Glover.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 20-Aug-16 14:09:19

It is a rubbish anthem, Land of Hope and Glory is much more stirring!

zingally Sat 20-Aug-16 14:36:16

I think it's not that they don't know it, but more that their either a bit embarrassed to sing in front of an audience, or their too busy trying not to cry or just trying to soak up the moment.

Marcipex Sat 20-Aug-16 14:52:18

I noticed Andy Murray was singing it.

ThoraGruntwhistle Sat 20-Aug-16 15:03:51

The anthem should be about the country, not whoever is currently on the throne of it.

CordeliaFrost Sat 20-Aug-16 15:22:45

It's a shit anthem anyway.

I've noticed that the flag barely reaches the top, by the time GSTQ is over, in fact a couple of times the anthem was over and the flag still a cm or two from the top.

DH said, "perhaps they should play another verse," to which I said, "don't be ridiculous, hardly anyone knows the words to the rest of it!"

CancellyMcChequeface Sat 20-Aug-16 15:41:28

As an atheist republican, I say that's the least of the problems with the anthem. grin

HackAttack Sat 20-Aug-16 15:43:09

Who gives a crap?

SwearyGodmother Sat 20-Aug-16 15:58:24

I agree that it's not that great an anthem but surely if you sing it you should sing the actual words. They're not hard. It's not just athletes that do it, it seems it's everyone! The crowds at football and rugby matches, and the professional singers, all seem to sing God Save Our Queen too. It's maddening.

Thatsmeinthecorner2016 Sat 20-Aug-16 15:59:51

It's God Save the Queen, I remember that from the Sex Pistol song.

Thatsmeinthecorner2016 Sat 20-Aug-16 16:00:15

Sex Pistols, of course smile

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sat 20-Aug-16 16:11:47

I agree with Cancelly Personally I'd have the Archers theme tune, no words needed. GSTQ is dire, I refuse to sing it on the rare occasions when people around me are.

Tum te tum te tum te tum, tum te tum te tum tum etc

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Aug-16 16:32:55

the sex pistols version is so much better imo smile

MLGs Sat 20-Aug-16 16:52:31

Yes, was going to say, the second line is "her fascist regime", isn't it?

EvansOvalPies Sat 20-Aug-16 16:58:00

Ahh yes, Middle - Billy Connolly suggested this back in the 80s. Hilarious idea, but never took off, unfortunately. Singing the words incorrectly is the least of our worries - "Sir" Bradley Wiggins making stupid faces and sticking out his tongue annoyed me (and believe me, I'm not a Royalist). Childish and disrespectful.

EvansOvalPies Sat 20-Aug-16 16:59:00

Oh, the Sex Pistols version would be so great, wouldn't it?

Thatsmeinthecorner2016 Sat 20-Aug-16 17:33:42

Oh, the Sex Pistols version would be so great, wouldn't it?

Tried thinking about the second line of the British anthem and all I could get was the Sex Pistols version grin

Egosumquisum Sat 20-Aug-16 17:50:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Egosumquisum Sat 20-Aug-16 17:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DotForShort Sat 20-Aug-16 17:51:28

My favourite lyrics are the "King George, he had a date, he stayed out very late" version. grin

If you google the lyrics for God Save the Queen, the first version that pops up is the Sex Pistols'. I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from that!

confusionis Sat 20-Aug-16 17:52:12

Compare the anthem to other countries, and its completely rubbish. Lets hope that when the new monarch comes on the throne, we get something a bit better.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sat 20-Aug-16 17:55:43

I'm in Scotland. The issues doesn't arise. I'm struggling to remember a single occasion I have attended an event where God Save The Queen was sung.

thank fuck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now