To not want kids to pack my shopping

(81 Posts)
Banana99 Sat 20-Aug-16 11:47:30

Just did a flying visit to the supermarket with a very grumpy child and a broken shopping bag.
I didn't want anymore bags for life as I have a few 1.2 million

Kids ask if they can pack my bag, I say no, I have one bag and I want to get everything in - THE FACES! And then their coach or whoever comes over is also giving me looks!

I have a £20 note in my purse, nothing else, just used all my change to pay for tea whilst child was at lesson

It's the pulling of faces! Isn't it a choice. I have used them in the past, used a billion plastic bags.....

Sparklesilverglitter Sat 20-Aug-16 11:51:09

I never want them to pack mine. I normally put a bit of change in the charity bucket they have with them but don't want my shopping packed by a child so I end up with squashed cakes

milpool Sat 20-Aug-16 11:52:28

Yup YANBU, I hate this. And I hardly ever have any change to chuck in their bucket because I just take my debit card with me.

LadyPenelope68 Sat 20-Aug-16 11:52:48

I ALWAYS say no to children packing my shopping. I absolutely HATE those bag packing things, and the fact they just stand there giving youvthecevilscwgen you've said no. Really irritates me.

Banana99 Sat 20-Aug-16 11:55:26

Shouldn't they have thought of something else to do now - especially now the whole deal with plastic bags has changed now.

Amelie10 Sat 20-Aug-16 12:00:36

It's the first I'm hearing of kids packing shopping bags? Where is this op? I haven't ever come across this.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 20-Aug-16 12:00:43

Ynbu. I don't like my bags to be packed by someone else. For the simple reason. I have my own way of doing it. However I do put say £1 in their charity box.
All that said however. I don't think they should be allowed to put pressure like that on the public And make them feel obligated to give money that they may not have. A lot of people don't carry any cash do they. They do everything on card, or someone could be on the bones of their arses and just have bare Money.

snoringdog Sat 20-Aug-16 12:03:18

Nbu. They should be taught before hand to step back, act distracted and smile if someone doesn't want help.

Banana99 Sat 20-Aug-16 12:04:04

Have you never had them at the supermarket Amelie ? I think it does tend to be on Saturdays

HereIAm20 Sat 20-Aug-16 12:06:08

Amelie - quite often groups like Cubs etc will hang out in supermarkets at weekends and offer to pack (for donations) as a charity fund raiser. I would decline but donate or ssy I have no change. But I don't want my tins bring shoved on top of my eggs etc!

MargotLovedTom Sat 20-Aug-16 12:11:00

I've had to take part in these things with dd's Brownies - hated it! (Obviously no one was forced into it but you felt bad if you didn't).

Ginkypig Sat 20-Aug-16 12:16:29

I tend to only see it at my local massive morrisons
They are normally trying to raise money for a trip of some kind, there is a few different groups that do it I think.

I normally just tell them to put the shopping in the trolley for me then I pack it after Iv paid and am away from the till. That's what I do when I'm on my own too.

I hate the pressure of trying to get it bagged and away while at the till with people waiting

Willow2016 Sat 20-Aug-16 12:16:38

Yep I woldnt mind if the adult with them actually showed them how to pack! I have certain bags for certain things and it drives me mad having to either explain what goes in where i.e. large wide bag for cold/frozen stuff, heavier bag for the veg etc, dont put the bananas and satsumas under the damm neeps, and potatoes please. leave the bread and eggs till last... or just suck it up!

If its someone I know then I let them otherwise, no thanks. Plus I dont like being jigacked at the end of the belt to donate to something that has nothing to do with me or my kids. How do you know if I can afford to donate anything? Its blackmail.

IggyPopsicle Sat 20-Aug-16 12:17:50

I don't know why any of the supermarkets allow it in the first place. It is more of a hindrance than a help to the customer. If Tesco et al want to be seen to be helping the local community, why don't they just give them the damn money as a sponsor.

Stopyourhavering Sat 20-Aug-16 12:18:44

Thing is, these bag packing malarkeys do raise a fair bit of money for the clubs/schools/societies they're collecting for...(without this money many clubs would go under) so although I prefer to do my own packing don't want squashed bread/broken eggs I will give what loose change I have

TwentyCups Sat 20-Aug-16 12:19:20

I always say no. I have a system and the kids just chuck stuff in.
I rarely have any change either.

Recently in morrisons they had scouts packing. I said no thank you, and they continued to hover anyway, and pick my stuff up and hand it to me! I didn't have any cash, and I had said no once! Very awkward.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Aug-16 12:20:09

I hate my bags being packed by the kids, they are never any good at it and something invariably gets squashed.

But I let them do it, with a bit of bag packing training as they go along. They are taking time out on a Saturday/Sunday when they could be playing on their xbox doing something much better, I don't think they particularly enjoy it themselves but they are doing it to raise money for their school/club/sport which I think is to be encouraged.

I also get the local paper, which is full of crap adverts and rarely read, delivered weekly because its always done by a school kid and I think its great they are out earning some money for themselves.

CheesyWeez Sat 20-Aug-16 12:20:19

I've never seen this but I'd hate it. I pack my bags by destination (fridge / utility room / bathroom / sideboard / food cupboard). My own kids are used to it. I think I'd just make a donation and say "no thanks." Do they carry it to the car for you? That might be useful.

chough Sat 20-Aug-16 12:21:31

YANBU, I don't like it either.
I don't want a load of tins packing on top of bread, etc.
And I always pay by card and don't take cash with me at all.
However, I've only ever known them step back politely when I've said" no thank you."

MrsGsnow18 Sat 20-Aug-16 12:21:54

I'm not a huge fan of this really. I've rarely been asked if I want help, they usually just have started to pack. If asked I would say yes as I'd feel awkward saying no, but I'd try help pack so I get things in the right bags blush
I usually give whatever change I can find in my purse, which often isn't much.
Sometimes they are for good causes which I am happy to give money to.
Other times it's for team kits/ other fundraising which I don't think is as worthy a cause as a charity, but still good to see young people trying to do something to raise the money.

Kirriemuir Sat 20-Aug-16 12:23:04

Our sainsburys have clubs in most weekends but they are always placed on checkouts 1-4. Numbers 4-8 don't have them so you have the choice which to go to. Works well.

Kirriemuir Sat 20-Aug-16 12:23:19

That should be 5-8!

TwentyCups Sat 20-Aug-16 12:27:35

Kids in the car park fundraising by washing cars is another, sorry but I'm not going to risk you scratching my car, and I don't think my insurance would be covering it if damage did occur!
Not seen this in supermarkets but some of the smaller car parks have it round here. Don't like to park there when I see it, as if the car next to mine opts for it there's a good chance my car will get a knock.

BarbarianMum Sat 20-Aug-16 12:27:37

I won't let anyone help pack my shopping control freak but I don't resent them asking. Ds' cubs/scouts do bag packing once a year and they usually make over £500, which to their group is serious money. And it's them earning it - unlike the endless jumble sales, sponsored walks etc when it's either parents doing it or parents forking out. Last year one kind gentleman tipped ds1 £10 for packing up his Christmas shop! I usually just bung them a couple of quid to leave mine alone.

Gatehouse77 Sat 20-Aug-16 12:29:41

I always decline too. I am very specific about how I pack my shopping - DH knows not to interfere unless he wants to do the unpacking!

And whilst I appreciate it's a good way of fundraising for local causes (some people seem to think they can't say no) I, personally, find it annoying. Over time I have now switched to volunteering for a charity rather than give money. Sadly, the big charities have left me feeling wary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now