Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to report my neighbour's caravan ?

(22 Posts)
Emochild Fri 19-Aug-16 17:48:00

4 weeks ago a caravan appeared on the road outside my neighbour's house

They don't have a drive so it has been left on the road

It was the start of the school holidays so I just assumed they were going away -no big deal.....except it hasn't moved since

I'm not one of those that thinks I own the road, it doesn't rob me of a parking space and I can't see it from my house -but it means i'm pulling off my drive blind

We have pcsos walking down the street at regular intervals so i'm guessing it's not illegal but I've started parking on the road outside my house rather than on the drive to make pulling out safer

Would I be unreasonable to report it to the council to see if they could move it

I've tried talking to them and they just keep saying 'soon'

booklooker Fri 19-Aug-16 17:49:56

What would you report it for?

Being a caravan?

HeddaLettuce Fri 19-Aug-16 17:51:30

If its not lit at night its illegal, so call the police.

Emochild Fri 19-Aug-16 17:51:59

For obstructing my view whilst driving off my drive?

It's massive -and not see through!

Akire Fri 19-Aug-16 17:55:43

If it's causing obstruction the council can asked for it to be moved.

TheGoodEnoughWife Fri 19-Aug-16 18:02:20

Is it a Motorhome or a caravan?
If it is a caravan it is illegal for it to be parked on a public highway

Grannypants1 Fri 19-Aug-16 18:03:24

Why not speak to neighbour first and see if they will move it? Going straight to the council before trying to come to a civil resolution is a bit shitty

TyneTeas Fri 19-Aug-16 18:04:24

Can't remember off hand what the limit is and whether it varies between councils but fairly sure there is a maximum period a caravan can be left on the street, something like 28 days

thecatsarecrazy Fri 19-Aug-16 18:08:31

There's a caravan and range rover parked on the side of the road on my way to work. Been there months and a man and dog live in it confused I'm pretty sure that cant be legal

TheGoodEnoughWife Fri 19-Aug-16 18:09:55

Actually it may be illegal - have find some info that it needs to be lit at night and then it is okay but speak to local council would be best

PickleSarnie Fri 19-Aug-16 18:11:16

We have a covenant in our deeds that say you can't keep a caravan on your drive/outside your house. Do you have anything similar perhaps?

Emochild Fri 19-Aug-16 18:33:28

grannypants

I have tried asking them -they keep saying it will move soon

Jelliebabe1 Fri 19-Aug-16 18:45:00

Granny! She has spoken to them!

wheresthel1ght Fri 19-Aug-16 18:50:39

I would perhaps speak to them again and explain it is causing an obstruction and ask for a specific date for it to be loved.

I believe if it is on the actual road then it is illegal as it is not lit up at night.

Perhaps have a word with the community Bobby and ask them to have a word?

TyneTeas Fri 19-Aug-16 19:08:27

For example

www.stevenage.gov.uk/street-care-cleaning/caravans-on-streets/

Porg Fri 19-Aug-16 19:15:50

By the way, covenants aren't really worth a toss as who is going to enforce them? Usually developers will until they have sold the last house on the street, after that they wash their hands of any responsibility.

PickleSarnie Fri 19-Aug-16 19:28:06

Seriously porg? Does that mean I can put a whirly gig up in my front garden and start drying my not very smalls on it then?!

GingerbreadGingerbread Fri 19-Aug-16 19:30:58

OK... But what is your problem with it? Someone could park a van there and you'd be pulling out of your drive "blind". Are you quite bored?

Emochild Fri 19-Aug-16 19:32:59

I'm quite bored of it after 4 weeks yes

Vans generally move at least for part of the day

KatieScarlettReregged2 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:38:17

We have that in our deeds too.
My NDN has one permanently on the end of her drive. Other than the 2 weeks a year it gets to go on its holiday.
I would rather eat my own vomit than be petty enough to complain. Even though it also obstructs my view. I just creep out of my drive instead.

Missgraeme Fri 19-Aug-16 19:48:40

I wouldn't be starting a possible neighbour fued it's a caravan not a camp of traveller's.

Porg Fri 19-Aug-16 19:53:36

It depends who were the original parties to the deed containing the covenants. So if your house is on land formerly owner ed by farmer Giles and he still owns land abutting yours then the covenants are likely to be enforceable.

If the original party was Taylor Wimpy 20 years ago then it is unlikely that Taylor Wimpy would want to get involved in enforcing the covenants.

If the original party was John Brown Builders Limited and Companies House tells you that the Company no longer exists (online, free and amazingly easy to do search ) then you are fairly safe to hang your smalls out wherever on your land you want.

In any case it is a civil matter so someone has to fund any enforcement action which would not be cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now