Talk

Advanced search

To give cleaner a week's notice?

(21 Posts)
ThisIsNotARealAvo Fri 19-Aug-16 09:51:06

We have had s fantastic cleaner for the last 3 years, but since then we have adopted 2 children and DH has started his own business which is not making that much money yet. We need to massively cut back on spending and can't really afford the cleaner any more.

If I give her a month's notice it will be really awkward, plus we could do with not paying her. A week seems a bit sudden. I know she cleans full time for quite a few different people and as she is so good is in demand and would probably get hours elsewhere quite quickly, but it still feels a bit wrong.

She doesn't have a contract or anything, we pay cash weekly.

Overthinker2016 Fri 19-Aug-16 09:52:14

I would give a month tbh

DiptyqueandDiamonds Fri 19-Aug-16 09:52:59

Can you stretch to two weeks? I'm assuming one weeks notice means she will do one more clean for you after you have given notice. That doesn't seem much time for her to fill that slot with other work.

MaudGonneMad Fri 19-Aug-16 09:53:03

Split the difference, give her a fortnight.

vanillaelderberry Fri 19-Aug-16 09:54:10

No, you wouldn't be unreasonable, it's the nature of being self employed.

EssentialHummus Fri 19-Aug-16 09:56:07

I'd say two weeks' to a month's notice - she's done a good job for you, treat her like you'd want to be treated. You can also ask her if she needs help finding new clients and post something on a local site/Facebook recommending her - we did this and our cleaner got a raft of new clients as a result.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Fri 19-Aug-16 09:57:40

Maybe a fortnight or I should say 1st sept or something. She comes twice a week atm and gets £60 at £10ph for 2x3hrs. So she'd do two more cleans before she went if I gave her a week.

ReActiv Fri 19-Aug-16 10:00:47

I used to be a cleaner and was never given any notice! At the end of my 'shift' for a client, I'd ask/text/call them and ask 'same time next week?'

They'd either say yes, so I would schedule them in. Or sometimes said I wouldn't be needed next week as they were going on holiday, had family staying over etc.

As someone else has said above, that is the nature of being self-employed. I didn't think it was the norm to be given notice, and never expected it.

rewardformissingmojo Fri 19-Aug-16 10:01:37

Could you just reduce her hours? With more children in the house, you'll really notice the difference if she stops. I'd give up a lot before giving up my cleaner!

BelladiNotte Fri 19-Aug-16 10:07:09

If you can stretch to 2 weeks,I'd do that. Would also be upfront in giving her the (regretful) reason, and also, as EH above, offer to promote and recommend her to others. And tell her you'll be doing that. Finally, send her off with a box of chocssmile
Could be, in the future, as your finances change,you'll be in need of a good cleaner...

Mummaaaaaah Fri 19-Aug-16 10:17:52

my cleaner gave me a day's notice! But i would give 2 weeks purely for karma

ClarkL Fri 19-Aug-16 10:18:44

Weekly pay = weekly notice
Don't feel bad, if shes that great you can recommend her to others, give her a glowing reference and for all you know she has people on a waiting list for her services.

Shizzlestix Fri 19-Aug-16 10:25:21

Week is fine.

fluffypacman Fri 19-Aug-16 10:28:05

Why don't you give a months notice but tell her if she finds work earlier you'd be happy if she needed to move on. That way you're being reasonable but you may get out earlier than the months notice. A month is the minimum notice I'd give. I think I said something similar to my cleaner as you don't want them turning down work just to fulfil their notice period either.

Overthinker2016 Fri 19-Aug-16 12:46:56

Can't believe people are advocating giving 1 weeks notice to someone who has worked for the OP for 3 years!

If you really can't afford it then fair enough but otherwise pretty shoddy.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Fri 19-Aug-16 13:16:14

Thanks everyone for your points of view. I think I'll probably give her a month notice but say she can stop sooner if she can find something else.

Ldnmum2015 Fri 19-Aug-16 14:12:32

I am a cleaner, as I am self employed I don't expect more than 1 weeks notice, however when I have had customers give me a couple of hours pay as a thank you for my help, it really makes me feel appreciated, and if they do change their mind or need me again, then I will really go the extra mile to reschedule them in. As a cleaner we do understand life changes, so best be honest about the cash, and who knows you may find they can fit you in monthly or for spring cleans.

Ldnmum2015 Fri 19-Aug-16 14:14:01

What I mean I you don't have to give a months notice if you cant afford it, just give a couple of hours as a thank you

Ldnmum2015 Fri 19-Aug-16 14:14:54

*a couple of hours in money terms

FetchezLaVache Fri 19-Aug-16 14:17:46

I thin fluffypacman makes a good suggestion. As she's so good and has worked for you for so long, you kind of morally owe it to her, I think. Also, when your financial situation improves, you may want her back!

JenLindley Fri 19-Aug-16 14:18:20

I'm a cleaner too and totally agree with LDNmum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now