Advanced search

someone is in my kitchen downstairs

(79 Posts)
Pendu Fri 19-Aug-16 08:22:04

I probably am BU but anyway...

My boiler went wrong (again) and I emailed my letting agent (we don't deal with the landlord directly). He said someone would contact me to fix it.

It's always going wrong and sometimes I come home and I can see someone has come into the house when I've been out. I never get a message or a call. So I emailed my agent said I do not want anyone in the house without permission - it doesn't make me feel comfortable, I have no chance to have a little tidy up , I don't get to even point out the problem and DH sometimes works nights and doesn't want to be woken up with these surprise visits. (They are usually unexpected like a week after we report a problem)

Anyway 8am and I hear banging - I ignore it. I had no sleep due to one dc being sick and I have bad spd.

I have a peek and it's the damn damn plumber.(he's rude aswell but that's another story).

He kept banging, I kept ignoring because I had no call no message.

Now he's let himself in.

What shall I do? I'm reeling

The2Ateam Fri 19-Aug-16 08:25:24

Get dressed and call the letting agent and ask them how & why he has a key, and why they think it's ok? Make a complaint, ask him to leave. I would be putting my chain on the door at night.

Pendu Fri 19-Aug-16 08:26:45

We don't have a chain.

The agent always says the plumber has asked but I just heard him on the phone being told to used my side door.

Bearfrills Fri 19-Aug-16 08:27:27

Ring your landlord and ask for their formal complaints procedure. They have no right to let themselves I to your home without your knowledge or consent because you have a right to peaceful enjoyment. YANBU to be seething.

My HA would send workers at random times with no prior warning and always at inconvenient times. I remember having an argument on the doorstep with a joiner who insisted he be allowed in to repair a door even though I was on my way out for the day. I told him he should have rang ahead to tell me the time and day and I'd have arranged for access to the property.

PageStillNotFound404 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:28:03

It's unacceptable that this is happening as a matter of course and you need to get firm with the letting agent about your right to quiet enjoyment of the property, but it's possible in this instance that it has been deemed an emergency repair (if it's a gas boiler and there could be even a small risk of an explosion) in which case it is permitted for the landlord to send in a builder without notice, including being able to let himself in.

RayofFuckingSunshine Fri 19-Aug-16 08:28:11

Phone the police and say someone has broken into your house and you daren't confront them? They're rummaging downstairs.

I'm half kidding

Pendu Fri 19-Aug-16 08:29:10

Already done formal complaints over other matters (leaking sewers, bees in the wall, ceilings falling down). Even tried the MP. All this for over a grand a month, they just think they are above the law. The landlord is a high end property development company. angryangryangry

Ledkr Fri 19-Aug-16 08:29:36

That is disgraceful. Call the agent immediately.

The2Ateam Fri 19-Aug-16 08:30:02

Get a chain babe, or something which means no one can get in your home without you letting them in- even with a key. Complain to agent and demand it doesn't happen again, or you'll be calling the police.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 19-Aug-16 08:30:23


Report a break in.

Pendu Fri 19-Aug-16 08:32:01

I am so easily contactable - email, phone etc. They literally never bother . I could have been naked in the dining room for all they know (we have a day bed in there and only a hatch into the kitchen.

It wasn't an emergency - they've left us weeks before without heating and water, I said the boiler was making noises like before (it was drowning in the sewage backlog)

ADogCalledLamb Fri 19-Aug-16 08:32:18

That's absolutely appalling, I'd be furious too.

I'd demand he leaves and be having very firm words with the agents that workmen only come with prior warning/arrangement.

dowhatnow Fri 19-Aug-16 08:32:33

Someone is on your property without your permission. Tell them to leave or you will call the police.

If you do call them say you feel intimidated and scared as they wont leave.

Mishegoss Fri 19-Aug-16 08:33:40

Ffs do not waste police time and call 999. Appalling advice, she knows it's not a burglar. Complain again to the agents and get a chain.

SuperHeroesForKids Fri 19-Aug-16 08:34:30

I'd get a chain for all exterior doors.

Make a formal complaint with the letting agent.

And if it happens again then call the police and report a break in.

Landlords have to give 24 hours notice for entering your property (unless it's an emergency)

DiptyqueandDiamonds Fri 19-Aug-16 08:34:31

Can you change your locks whilst you are occupation, then put the old locks back in when you move?
I understand most tenancy agreements require notice to you before a landlord or managing agent visits. They shouldn't need a key whilst it is your home.

RayofFuckingSunshine Fri 19-Aug-16 08:35:17

A chain doesn't help the OP if she is out when the workmen arrive.

DesolateWaist Fri 19-Aug-16 08:35:28

That is dreadful and I'm sure it's not allowed, but I'm not sure what recourse you have.

Bearfrills Fri 19-Aug-16 08:35:50

Actually, you can call the police on 101 and make a complaint of harassment against the landlord.

You can also call your local authority and ask to speak to the Tenancy Relations Officer. They deal with issues around private landlords acting like this.

Pendu Fri 19-Aug-16 08:36:37

Can I change the locks?

It's not the first time this has happened and I never feel right here because people can just let themselves in willy nilly. We have a security guard at the main gate who has a master which pretty much anyone can just get.

Bearfrills Fri 19-Aug-16 08:37:11

Landlords have to give 24 hours notice for entering your property (unless it's an emergency)

And even then they don't have the right to enter if you don't want them to, unless it's an emergency.

catmombaby16 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:40:46

Agents by law gave to give you at least 24hrs notice to enter your property. Or at least call you and see if it's convenient in less time than that.

Call the agent and complain immediately

Pendu Fri 19-Aug-16 08:42:21

Now he's drilling or hoovering? I think he has a death wish. I've never heard him use such a machine .

MummaGiles Fri 19-Aug-16 08:43:31

The landlord is in breach of your lease. Call the letting agent and explain that you will not be paying this month's rent as a consequence. Actually, you should put it in writing. Make sure you have a paper trail of all complaints and log all instances of breaches.

Pendu Fri 19-Aug-16 08:43:35

I'll phone the agent once he's gone. If he hears me on the phone he'll probably come up to my bedroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now