To stick a needle into my ear?

(18 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:26:48

Ok, not really.

My ear is killing me. I can feel/hear fluid sloshing around inside there. I just can't get comfortable in bed and it feels like my ear is about to pop.

Any advice?

Currently waiting for my current dose of paracetamol to wear off so I can take cocodamol.

Haven't had an ear infection since I was a child. This is sooooo painful!!! I'm convinced it's infected!!

Fluffsnuts Fri 19-Aug-16 00:28:38

Hot compress.

kitnkaboodle Fri 19-Aug-16 00:29:09

Don't pop it!!shock You might find that your eardrum bursts naturally soon. Not as bad as it sounds. It will be a relief and will heal. Dont introduce a foreign unsterile object there ...

PaperdollCartoon Fri 19-Aug-16 00:30:51

Does it hurt at all in your neck/throat/jaw? Ear infections tend to run all along that area. Book a doctors appointment first thing, catching them early with antibiotics is the best thing, they'll kick in quickly.

I've had a shit load of ear infections over the years!

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:36:04

I know the last time a doctor looked in my ears they said my eardrum was scarred from all the perforations as a child. I can help thinking/worrying its so scarred up and tough now that it won't pop.

I really want it to just pop and release this pressure!!

Will try a hot compress now.

Which position is it best to sleep in? On the ear itself? To encourage drainage?

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:36:43

•can't help

kitnkaboodle Fri 19-Aug-16 00:42:18

I guess maybe sleep on your back propped up - will still drain that way without putting pressure on it. Hope you get to sleep. Now I'm dying to know if it bursts!!

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:42:36

Ouch ouch ouch!!!!

Kidsrulethishouse Fri 19-Aug-16 00:42:57

Heat will ease that pain, also anti inflammatories can be taken with paracetamol/cocodamol x

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:44:12

Ok will try that. DP is now in spare room as I'm fidgeting too much.

I got water in my ear swimming a few weeks ago. It's never really felt right since.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:44:58

Ok going to dose up in 15 mins.

What about sudafed?!!

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 00:46:31

I'm constantly fantasising about it popping!

Have tried holding my nose and swallowing. Not brave enough to blow....

DanceWithThePoets Fri 19-Aug-16 01:01:02

Stick the tips of your index fingers (gently, and not too far) into both ears.

Lift your fingertips upwards, and hold for a second.

From here, push your fingertips backwards towards the back of your skull.

Yawn.

Then yawn more.

Deep, exaggerated yawns.

Your ears will pop.

YourNewspaperIsShit Fri 19-Aug-16 07:51:35

Hot salt water on a flannel as a compress and press firmly, good luck

YourNewspaperIsShit Fri 19-Aug-16 07:52:52

Sorry not salt water salt wrapped up in the flannel itself that didn't read back very well blush The thick granule kind like sea salt

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:05:05

Thank you! I made it through the night thanks to cocodamol!

My ear crackled a bit at one point and virtually all the pain went away. It's cracklings every now and then this morning but definitely not as painful.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:06:38

Nothing coming out of my ear though. Must admit I expected a bit of an explosion of ear pus. But nothing to show for my agony at all!!

Bellyrub1980 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:00:42

Gradually building up pressure and pain again. Back on the cocodamol and ibuprofen.

NHS site says ear infections can settle themselves in 2-3 days so I'm waiting till Monday before seeing anyone about it.

It's a bloody horrible pain though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now