Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about the number of poos?

(15 Posts)
Vebrithien Thu 18-Aug-16 18:22:52

Posting here for visibility. Got a 7 day old daughter. My milk didn't come in until day 5, so she had to be given formula to top up (midwife advice), whilst I also expressed to increase supply.

Milk is now here, she is feeding every couple of hours, currently cluster feeding, so she is only getting formula if she seems very hungry (twice today 30ml). But, she has only produced one poo per day, for the last 2 days. They have been massive though, including an explosion!

AIBU to worry that she is not poking enough or breast feeding effectively?

Whatsername17 Thu 18-Aug-16 18:25:39

That's absolutely fine and normal considering she has has a mix of milk. Congratulations on your first explosive nappy - it's a parenting milestone!

monkeysox Thu 18-Aug-16 18:27:53

Very normal. Congratulations

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 18-Aug-16 18:28:35

Very normal! Congrats!!

MachiKoro Thu 18-Aug-16 18:29:54

1 poo per day is fine, honestly!
Some babies go far less frequently (and then, I'm afraid they're 'all up the back' jobs- don't miss those days!)

Congratulations on your DD thanks

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 18-Aug-16 18:31:40

Awww, baby diarrhoea!

Cute!!

Vebrithien Thu 18-Aug-16 18:35:49

Am just worrying, as due to my milk not coming in until day 5, she was effectively starving. Good to hear that 1a day isn't too much of an issue, all of the literature says it should be at least 2.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Thu 18-Aug-16 18:39:23

Babies can't read, so take the literature with a pinch of salt.
Every baby is different - my two were once a day whoppers!

Mouikey Thu 18-Aug-16 18:42:49

Entirely BF babies may only go once every couple of days! Mine (3 weeks) is a poopy baby and goes literally every nappy!!!! You'll get more comfort once you get your little one weighed... Downside of BF is not knowing how much they are getting, so weigh ins are brilliant!

Bishybishybarnabee Thu 18-Aug-16 18:52:58

Sounds normal!

Polska03 Thu 18-Aug-16 18:53:09

Be thankful grin My DS is now nearly 15 months and goes 4 times a day!! I long for the 1 poo a day days.....!!

Polska03 Thu 18-Aug-16 18:53:54

Oh also, complete normal op x

Ifiwasabadger Thu 18-Aug-16 19:04:16

My DD has only ever dumped twice a week, even as a newborn. Everyone is different.

FireflyGirl Thu 18-Aug-16 19:14:04

DS as a mixed-fed newborn went once every 3 to 9 days. It really just depends on the baby. If she's happy, lots of wet nappies and putting on weight, just go with it and be very thankful you aren't changing her every hour like one of the other babies in our NCT group

Vebrithien Sat 20-Aug-16 01:41:02

Status update- DD went 2 days without a poo, and then went twice in three hours! Woo hoo for the poo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now