Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to consider taking DD away on a minibreak on my own?

(15 Posts)
ladydolly Thu 18-Aug-16 14:43:31

I travel a lot for work and for pleasure, this year has been a quiet year and we took a family holiday in the UK earlier this year. I’m itching to go somewhere I haven’t been before and I always had this slightly pretentious wish to take DD (20 months today) to at least one new country every year. DP doesn’t have enough holiday so I’m thinking about taking her away for a few days on my own. Am I mad?

She’s pretty flexible, confident, happy in new surroundings. Logistically I would still need to take a buggy for her to nap in but she will happily walk for miles most of the time.

So, if I do this later in the year, where should I go? Somewhere relatively small so I don’t have to deal with a subway.

Fanfeck Thu 18-Aug-16 14:45:24

Oh do it!

Me and DD have been going away ourselves since she was about the same age. I love it!

LemonSqueezy0 Thu 18-Aug-16 15:18:00

What does DP think? Would this likely become a yearly occurrence? If it works for the entire family I'd say go for it!

Planty18 Thu 18-Aug-16 15:19:18

That's so lovely!! Do it, as long as your partner is ok with it, guess it depends on how long he'll miss her for, have fun! What a lovely idea.

duskonthelawn Thu 18-Aug-16 15:21:31

Definitely go for it, sounds like a levely idea!

duskonthelawn Thu 18-Aug-16 15:21:44

*lovely, even hmm

ladydolly Thu 18-Aug-16 15:35:05

DP is totally behind it, thinks its a great idea. No plans for it to be a yearly thing but who know? If it goes well! So, any advice? Suggestions on where to go?

AgnesCactus Thu 18-Aug-16 15:42:41

That's a great idea. I found Sweden and Denmark to be very child friendly and easy to get around.

isanyusernamenotinuse Thu 18-Aug-16 15:44:53

Would you manage all your luggage and a buggy by yourself? If you can then go for it. A large rucksack rather than a suitcase might make it more manageable.

WhooooAmI24601 Thu 18-Aug-16 15:47:46

I take the DCs away with DH for a main holiday each year but we do mini breaks just the DCs and I every year, too. This year we've been to Venice; they loved it and DH has been so many times he couldn't have cared less about missing out, and we're off to Lapland in December. There's something liberating about being the type of parent who can just get out there and do stuff for yourself.

MarcelineTheVampire Thu 18-Aug-16 15:56:50

What a wonderful idea- I'm going to float this idea with my DP...

Mummaaaaaah Thu 18-Aug-16 15:58:41

Barcelona? Short flight. Great city to stroll around and advantage of having a beach too.

HouseworkIsASin10 Thu 18-Aug-16 16:10:40

I did this with a lightweight buggy and a very big rucksack, it was lovely.

lostoldlogin2 Thu 18-Aug-16 16:14:43

I go all over with my son including emigrating to Spain ;) single parent until this year and I am all for the travel alone with the kids thing. Of course she can manage on her own with luggage and a buggy - its a piece of cake smile
Have fun!

Charley50 Thu 18-Aug-16 16:18:36

Palma de Mallorca? cuz that's where I want to go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now