To think it is impossible to get 5 a day into some teens/ tweens and to ask for help re meal planning so we can all eat the same meal

(57 Posts)
2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 09:11:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 09:15:14

LizKeen Thu 18-Aug-16 09:22:10

Personally I think you are worrying about it too much. There are people that survive on a far worse diet than what it sounds like your DC have.

They are at a stage where they are needing more independence from you and I think there are probably more important battles coming up.

With the meal plan, just do what you have always done. If they refuse and go without then that is up to them.

I am also pretty sure that teens do get a bit carb heavy...lots of growing to do!

TrappedNerve Thu 18-Aug-16 09:22:35

Place marking as have 13 yr old ds who I'm in a similar situation with.
( how do you cope with 2 of them? grin )
His fruit intake is zero but likes smoothies, hardly any veg or salad but has massively increased his exercising thank god.

I was a fussy eater at his age and now eat tons of things I wouldn't have touched at 13. I only eat chicken so tend to do a lot of that or veggie based meals but do cook meat for ds and dp.
My 5 yr old dd seems to only like chicken too. Never touched ham, sausage, beef.
Am fed up of doing 3 different meals some nights, op I think it's great you've managed to stick to one meal for you all.

OpenMe Thu 18-Aug-16 09:22:48

I have this too, one really "good" eater and the other dreadfully picky

Poor eater genuinely isn't hungry for breakfast either. I do make him sit at the table and drink with us but lucky if he eats more than half a weetabix. That means I only have "control" over one meal a day.

Frustrates the hell out of me that after the lunchbox police etc at primary, in Secondary they sell them all sorts of junk.

I do put a plate of cut up fruit in front of them when I get home from work. It's not idea because dinner's only 40 min away by then and ds2's appetite is easily filled, but it disappears quickly. The fruit is always there for them to help themselves but they never do.

2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 09:36:54

OpenMe Thu 18-Aug-16 09:40:12

I've thought for a while actually that the efforts to get young children to eat well are aimed at the wrong place. It's the eating habits they gain in Secondary school that they'll take into adulthood and those are truly awful.

2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 09:47:24

2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 09:49:02

2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 09:49:21

2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 09:49:41

LizKeen Thu 18-Aug-16 09:55:21

You are starting to sound a bit smug and stealth boasty tbh. Wtf is wrong with ordering a burger when eating out?

I wouldn't be surprised if your outlook on food is what they are rebelling against and not the food itself.

sn1ce Thu 18-Aug-16 09:57:48

How is OP being stealth boastsy because her child ate a burger?!! MN is bonkers these days

crystalgall Thu 18-Aug-16 10:00:47

Actual OP DS is only nearly 5 but I know what you mean. I weaned him on all te veggies and fruit under the sun and cook a lot. And yet we have been reduced to carrots/cucumbers/peas/corn as veggie options only and a few fruits. I also don't really know where I went wrong. Going to do a lunchbox for reception and attempt lots of healthy food and hope it sticks.

The eating out thing is a bit ott thought. He only ever has chicken and chips or fish and chips when we go out. I don't fuss about that really.

SnugglySnerd Thu 18-Aug-16 10:02:01

I teach teenagers. Hardly any of them eat a cooked dinner. Most popular options are baguettes and paninis. Some will eat a jacket potato with cheese and beans.
I don't think you will win that battle to be honest, teenagers want to do the same as their friends. They like something they can wolf down quickly to save more time for playing football in their lunch break.

OpenMe Thu 18-Aug-16 10:02:06

I do think Op, that children who have a very controlled diet at home can be the ones who make the worst choices once they get a bit of freedom.

crystalgall Thu 18-Aug-16 10:03:18

Oh my only tip is pies. Especially with mash on top where you can bury lots of veggies under each forkful confused

So a lamb/chicken veggie mix (we are Asian so this is often curried style. Lots of mixed veggies in there. And then mash potato on top. He loves mash and so will happily eat the healthy stuff underneath.

Oh an he loves dhal weirdly. But not chickpeas. Sigh.

LizKeen Thu 18-Aug-16 10:03:21

The comments about future grandchildren and how much OP has done.

Maybe stealth boasty is the wrong term, but it very much feels like OP is having a dig at "pasty carb,crappy meat loving adults."

Its fine to want to eat well and pass that on to your DC. I want the same for my DC. But to complain about them eating a plain burger...just seems a bit overkill.

OTheHugeManatee Thu 18-Aug-16 10:03:50

I think you're overthinking this.

I'm an adult now and certainly haven't retained my teenage eating habits confused

crystalgall Thu 18-Aug-16 10:04:36

But that doesn't makes sense open. Of course you have tmcontrol their diet at home. You're not going to have sugary cereals/fizzy drinks/chocolate at home just so they don't rebel when they're older

Babyroobs Thu 18-Aug-16 10:07:56

My 17 year old ds has not voluntarily eaten any fruit or veg since he was around 3 years of age except for the odd banana. He seems to have some kind of phobia. I make sure he has home made smoothies ( I know they are not ideal as very sugary) and he drinks Orange juice daily. I try to sneak onions/ peppers etc into pasta sauces blended down but it doe sworry what will happen if he goes to uni next year and has to cook for himself. I should add he is very healthy and apart form the odd chesty cough in winter is never ill.

LucyLucyLou Thu 18-Aug-16 10:08:44

Don't worry about long term just yet. I have known poor eaters improve at late teen age because they finally make the connections. Even basic ones like not wanting to get scurvy - thank biology classes for that one!

But also noticing their skin condition and just feeling bleurgh when eating chocolate all day at Easter.

Make sure you encourage protein as well as fruit and veg, it's helps curb the endless carb craving.

I found mine ate veg in the form of pureed soup, stick blender ideal for this.

I also find putting a salad out to help themselves works eventually, with my dressing kept on the side to avoid contamination..

Notso Thu 18-Aug-16 10:11:01

Agree with OpenMe you are being far too strict and controlling. Get off their cases poor kids.

LucyLucyLou Thu 18-Aug-16 10:14:01

The older kids I know have ended up similar to their parents only more likely to go to the gym for weight training. Then you have the ones returning from university as vegan..that's a who!e other thread!

2StripedSocks Thu 18-Aug-16 11:04:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now