We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about 'On Planet Fruitcake'?

(9 Posts)
eiledon Wed 17-Aug-16 23:49:32

AIBU to think that 'On Planet Fruitcake' is not suitable suggested reading material for a 7 year old. i was reading it to my DS and had to give up after chapter seven. the premise of it is great. Philip is too shy to speak up in class, so develops a coping mechanism where he pretends to be on another planet so he can openly and confidently talk in front of the class and engage in discussion. all good. til he starts talking about a man running round with a bloody axe attacking people. then someones pet getting killed. then someones friend getting lost in the jungle, found by natives, killed, made into stew and fed to surviving friend. i could take no more and closed he book. i was skipping bits of it for fear DS would be traumatised and end up not sleeping for a week. i know tgere is probably a philosophical message in there somewhere but i found it quite disturbing.

eiledon Fri 19-Aug-16 08:21:06

hmm

OurBlanche Fri 19-Aug-16 09:04:14

So... you missed the bit about the 'morality' of vegeterianism because you were worried your 7 year old would be traumatised by a storybook version of cannabalism?

I think you may be overthinking it... I am pretty certain that by 7 most kids are starting to work out that storybook bloodfests are not real and start to see the underlying tales being woven. Think about all the original fairy stories, Enid Blyton was pretty evil at times, Beatrix Potter and all those deaths!

Maybe your DS wouldlike to read that one for himself, save you the trauma smile

eiledon Fri 26-Aug-16 22:31:09

OurBlanche, DS gets upset at the sight of blood or by someone getting injured. hence my thoughts on this book.

DoJo Fri 26-Aug-16 23:03:15

Who suggested it to you?

eiledon Sat 27-Aug-16 07:39:45

DoJo other parents with kids of same age as DS recommended the author and one suggested this particular book.

winewolfhowls Sat 27-Aug-16 08:09:20

Kids love bloodthirsty stuff, they (often) separate make believe and real life better than adults. They don't take things to heart. Anything that makes kids interested in reading is good imo.

winewolfhowls Sat 27-Aug-16 08:10:47

For example, look at how popular horrible histories is, it's got stupid deaths on itgrin

winewolfhowls Sat 27-Aug-16 08:12:33

I think parents know their kids best so if this book isn't right for your son then no problem, there are millions out there, but another child might love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now