Aibu to think it's unreasonable to expect me to miss a few weeks medication because there are no appointments?

(45 Posts)
makingacupoftea Wed 17-Aug-16 18:37:50

I have been taking fluoxetine for 9 months since my dd was born. I had been on citalopram for 2 years before that. After my dd was born he citalopram suddenly stopped working and I was really depressed and anxious to the point where I was self harming and feeling suicidal.

I feel a lot better now with the occasional bad few days.

I normally get my prescription automatically done at the chemist so I just go once a month and pick it up. This month I went and they hadn't got it saying I would have to get it from the doctors.

So I tried to one from the doctors but was told they wouldn't renew it until they had seen me . The earliest appointment is that last few days of August. They said there was no way to get another as it was not an emergency and I should have made an appointment ahead .

I ran out of tablets a week ago and just had to stop taking them suddenly. I have felt OK until the last few days but the last few days I hVe starts to struggle not wanting to go out at all and starting to struggle not self harming again. Last night I starting getting really bad muscle pains I didn't link it at first but today I hVe had muscle pains in and off and wondering if it could be linked.

I feel very vey anxious now and think it's not really on that I am missing these weeks? I didn't know j needed an appointment to make ahead so that's not my fault really!

Aibu to think it's a bit off to expect me to miss weeks of medication?

Friolero Wed 17-Aug-16 18:41:54

I would say if you're feeling like this, then you should say you need an emergency doctor's appointment.

SquidgyRedBall Wed 17-Aug-16 18:43:34

It's quite bad to suddenly come off them from what I hear.

I would be insisting on an emergency appointment - or at least a call from the doctor so they can issue it to you or fax it to your nearest pharmacy.

YADDNBU

Amelie10 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:45:30

Yanbu, it's not really your fault. Did you know in advance that you needed to see the doctor before renewing? Anyway it seems like this is an emergency appointment situation.

makingacupoftea Wed 17-Aug-16 18:49:41

Amelie I had no idea I normally just got it he chemist and they are there!i asked about an emergency appointment and was told it's not an emergency confused

RaspberryOverload Wed 17-Aug-16 18:52:12

Actually OP, I think that when you do get an appointment, you need to highlight the surgery's poor procedure here, as it's their fault you are in this situation.

If they wanted to see you before issuing the next prescription, when you had clearly been simply getting it from the pharmacy, then they should have let you know in plenty of time so that you were able to make an appointment before your current stock of tablets ran out.

By leaving it until it was time to collect from the pharmacy and just waiting for you call them before telling you about the need to see you, they are the ones putting you at risk and causing you to feel the side effects you are getting.

RuskBaby Wed 17-Aug-16 18:52:33

I had to reduce the dose very slowly when coming off of them, I would call again and tell them you need seeing or you expect a prescription tomorrow to ride you over.

OvertiredandConfused Wed 17-Aug-16 18:53:37

Sounds like you had a batch prescription that needs to be renewed by seeing the doctor every 6 months. They should've probably explained it more clearly though.

You need to get an emergency appointment. Stopping this medication abruptly and without medical supervision is far from ideal. Are you able to be pushy with the receptionist? Or can someone do it for you?

londonmummy1966 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:53:57

I've had this in the past with venlafaxine as they do need to do an annual review of patients on these meds. Receptionist at surgery was really unhelpful so I booked the first available GP appointment and DH then rang the surgery and insisted on speaking to my GP. She agreed to let me have a further prescription to tide me over until the appointment. He was very firm with the jobsworth receptionist at the surgery pointing out that if something happened as a result of my not having the medication the practice would be liable. Once through to the GP there was no problem at all in getting what I needed. Worth a try - can you get your OH to speak to them if you are feeling a bit wobbly at the moment? I know how awful it is to be without meds for a few days as I always end up a blubbering wreck.

legotits Wed 17-Aug-16 18:54:23

It's an emergency now (of their making) call for the emergency app tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:56:05

In this situation, my drs issue another month until seen for medication review, they should not leave you without tablets. Maybe ring and explain and see if they can issue you enough until appointment?

ToriaPumpkin Wed 17-Aug-16 18:58:10

I have been given emergency appointments for similar feelings, I told the (usually utter jobsworth) receptionist that I was going to harm myself (I was, it was the lowest ebb I'd ever been to) if I didn't see a Dr and she gave me an appt within the hour. Are you able to call back and insist on an emergency appt?

makingacupoftea Wed 17-Aug-16 18:58:39

I will try to call again tomorrow - I feel pretty rubbish tonight which is scary since I was feeling so much better.

My main problem now is that I am in such a state about going out! Getting to the appointment and getting the tablets seems lien a huge thing (slaps self)

coughingbean Wed 17-Aug-16 18:58:55

tea it absolutely is an emergency. Call your surgery and make an appointment.
If they ask why tell the truth - you are close to self harm.

coughingbean Wed 17-Aug-16 18:59:58

You can do it! Just concentrate on how you will feel when you have your medication. flowers

pigsDOfly Wed 17-Aug-16 18:59:59

Was it the receptionist that told you it doesn't warrant an emergency appointment OP?

If so I think you should ask for a telephone callback from the GP so that you can discuss it with him/her.

It's really not good to just stop taking these kind of medicines.

If it was the receptionist who told you you couldn't have an appointment they've overstepped their powers, it's not the job of the receptionist to make those kind of decisions. You need to insist.

makingacupoftea Wed 17-Aug-16 19:00:51

Toria I feel bad exagerrating to the receptionist I am not feeling like I am going to seriously harm myself at the moment . I just hav this stupid thing where when I'm anxious I just scratch at myself withou even knowing.

I do have some pretty nice scars from that but it would take somethings pretty special to seriously harm myself jus doing that!

makingacupoftea Wed 17-Aug-16 19:01:58

Sorry for the typing I am on my phone on the floor of my daughters room smile

CurbsideProphet Wed 17-Aug-16 19:03:03

In my local area if I ring out of hours on 111 there is actually an option for repeat prescriptions. Tbh I wouldn't be waiting until tomorrow to try and beg the GP for an appointment. I would call out of hours and explain the situation.

I really hope you get sorted with your prescription flowers

toastedbeagle Wed 17-Aug-16 19:12:49

Ask to speak to the Dr on call, and ask for enough to tablets to last you til the first available appointment that they can see you for review.

Pythonesque Wed 17-Aug-16 19:13:04

I think - not sure - that the right hand side of the prescription form is often used for messages like "please make a review appointment". So if you haven't seen the actual prescription this may be something to raise with the pharmacist; or may have changed with electronic prescriptions. Mention it to the GP when you are seen, too - they want to have processes that work efficiently for stuff like this. If you've always (as I tend to do) just discarded the green slip of paper then now you know you need to look at it first.

ToriaPumpkin Wed 17-Aug-16 19:15:50

You don't have to be psychically at harm though, anxiety enough to keep you in the house/prevent you seeking help is just as severe. I hope you manage to get someone helpful in the morning and are able to get back on an even keel soon.

seven201 Wed 17-Aug-16 19:24:36

It sounds like you had a repeat prescription. On my ones it says at the bottom how many I have until I need to see the dr. I thought that was a standard thing. I think you should ask for an urgent phone appointment and hopefully they'll give you enough until they can give you a proper appointment.

StackladysMorphicResonator Wed 17-Aug-16 19:29:21

You need to make an emergency appointment first thing tomorrow morning - fluoxetine has a half-life of 4 to 6 days for those taking it regularly, so your withdrawal symptoms will only get worse for some time. They can be really brutal, please get an appointment tomorrow. Make sure you make a complaint (during the actual appointment, not before you get it!) as this is really poor of your GP surgery.

flowers

acasualobserver Wed 17-Aug-16 19:29:49

I agree with others - make an emergency appointment. If the receptionist asks what it's for, say you'd rather discuss that with the doctor. Refuse to offer any further explanation. Be firm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now