Wibu to have scratched this car?

(370 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1471432527 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:00:11

Taking dtwins out in our double stroller, cars parked right on the pavement , can't walk on the road, too much traffic. Was I unreasonable to force my pram though, scratching one of the bigger cars in the process?

TwistNshout Wed 17-Aug-16 17:03:24

Yes, YWBU. You probably caused £100s worth of damage.
Couldn't you have crossed over the road?

winchesterfan Wed 17-Aug-16 17:03:48

Yes you were!

I hope you left an note with your details offering to pay for the scratch to be repaired!

allthecarbs Wed 17-Aug-16 17:04:27

Of course yabu!

user1471432527 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:05:16

Too many cars parked illegally to see past to cross safely with the pram. Surely parking so far over you would expect somebody might damage your car by accident, a
Wheelchair user for example, the space was really tight.

Bambooshoots14 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:05:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Giratina Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:05

Well you YWBU but I can't get too het up on behalf of someone who parks like a nobhead.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:06

Surely parking so far over you would expect somebody might damage your car by accident, a Wheelchair user for example, the space was really tight.

Gizlotsmum Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:11

Ywbu to scratch it but they were bu to cause an obstruction to the pavement

Optimist1 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:18

Pixilicious Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:23

I don't thing YWBU. People who park on the pavement are arseholes. Why is their car so much more important than a person who needs to walk on the pavement.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:27

originalmavis Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:55

My heart sinks when I see yet another scratch on the car. It's a company one and costs us a fortune to get these fixed.

We don't park on the pavement but some git always decides to scrape past it or sit on the bloody bonnet. Or lean their bike against it. Or pop their rucksack on the roof. Or park too close and take a chunk off the bumper.

user1471432527 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:07:57

Bamboo why should I take my newborn dsc onto busy road because some wanker in his big Range Rover wants to park across the whole pavement, which is for pedestrians.

SquidgyRedBall Wed 17-Aug-16 17:08:10

Was the car parked illegally?

If so, could the scratching have been avoided?

The road I live on has cars parked on the pavement, no way could a double buggy get through. They aren't doing anything wrong by parking there though so why should someone come along and scratch their car just because their buggy can't get through. Nasty.

originalmavis Wed 17-Aug-16 17:08:40

2 wrongs don't make a right.

Lunar1 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:08:40

I scratched a couple with my first husbands wheelchair. If they don't want their cars scratching they should park legally!

LifeInJeneral Wed 17-Aug-16 17:09:08

User it's ok to be pissed off and even if you want to be arsey leave a note saying it's not ok to park like that as it blocks the path but you can't just vandalise somebodies property because you were annoyed, that's awful. YABU,it doesn't matter if they were parked inconsiderately. I'm sure you could have waited until the traffic calmed down and crossed if you really needed to

CharminglyGawky Wed 17-Aug-16 17:09:23

Yep, very very unreasonable. Are your DC old enough to understand that you have just shown them that if someone gets in your way it's ok to break their stuff?

Although I do get that parking like an idiot is selfish at what point did 2 wrongs start to make a right?

SeraOfeliaFalfurrias Wed 17-Aug-16 17:10:23

You won't get many agreeing with you, OP, but to my mind YWNBU. Twats shouldn't park illegally on pavements. If I have to squeeze past a car on the pavement I always elbow the wing mirror out of the way with extreme prejudices. If I had a pram, I wouldn't deliberately scratch a car but if I couldn't get by without scratching I wouldn't care.

Planty18 Wed 17-Aug-16 17:10:33

I have been in this situation many times with my double stroller and it is a very dangerous choice so I understand why you needed to go past the car, I face this and have to walk down a road with four kids because of it on the school run, but that's because I wouldn't feel comfortable knowingly causing criminal damage. You weren't unreasonable to want to do this but I am shocked anyone actually would. They were parked illegally I assume if blocking the pavement but two wrongs don't make a right. I might have leaflets made up though for my daily annoyance ;)

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 17-Aug-16 17:10:44

Really? This part of your post is particularly vile. This was NOT an accident, you did it deliberately and now you want us to tell you how clever you are? You should be embarrassed, not boasting. And what the actual fucking have wheelchair users got to do with it? They aren't destructive twats, their legs don't work... HTH

YelloDraw Wed 17-Aug-16 17:11:40

I don't think you were U if it was an accidental thing. If you deliberately scratched it that is different.

If you cause an obstruction on the pavement you take your chances with your car getting scratched when people squeeze by.

rightguard Wed 17-Aug-16 17:11:45

Nope not at all. It drives me crazy when people parking half on the pavement. How is it more helpful than parking completely on the road? Cars will still need to pull out to get past it, and it obstructs the pavement. Just park on the road!

Jizzomelette Wed 17-Aug-16 17:12:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now