Talk

Advanced search

To think this pool situation is ridiculous?

(10 Posts)
NotaDinosaur Wed 17-Aug-16 00:47:08

We (DH, I and 3yr old DC) went to our local outdoor swimming pool today, and understandably in the heat and school holidays it was packed - we expected that. We queued for about half an hour to get in, again we expected that, maybe even longer. Once in we get given coloured bands, yet again to be expected and reasonable that there would be hour sessions or such to enable everyone to have a go. So off we go to get changed etc, so far so good.

THEN we find out that, actually the bands are not for a full session, but only entitle us to enter the pool for 15 minutes, then we have to get out and wait 45 minutes in the hot sun, with very little shade available and with nothing else to do and no room for DC to play or anything until we can get back in for another 15 minutes then repeat.

That's bonkers isn't it? Well I thought so! Obviously a system needs to be in place for busy times to stop people hogging the pool, but this really isn't it.

So as not to drip feed, I do have a disability that means by the time I had got to the pool, in the pool, played with the toddler then back out of the damn pool, I was in agony. Let alone sit on the hard floor for 45 minutes to do it all again. So this might be clouding my judgement somewhat.

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 17-Aug-16 00:54:39

Totally bonkers, yes.

They need to limit admissions.

1Catherine1 Wed 17-Aug-16 00:56:45

That is ridiculous. What idiot thought up that?

I too would have assumed you were going to be limited on time in the pool (up to an hour) then kicked out.

I went to a normal inside pool today - lovely and quiet with the kids. Brilliant afternoon, we debated going to the park after but decided against it. I seem to miss the point of outdoor pools...

EverySongbirdSays Wed 17-Aug-16 01:19:12

Bonkers and trying to maximise revenue for themselves at the expense of customer experience

They wouldn't get my custom twice.

Italiangreyhound Wed 17-Aug-16 01:35:16

Yes, it is mad.

snowy508601 Wed 17-Aug-16 01:37:23

Yes my family would 'lose their bands and forget which colour we were

AllieinWonderland Wed 17-Aug-16 01:54:40

That is crazy - especially considering the heat. They could at least have an alternate activity surely? Our local outdoor pool has an indoor pool as well and a big grassy area and cafe, so at least if they do that here we have other options.

As other posters have said, I wouldn't go back without making sure the system had changed.

HerRoyalNotness Wed 17-Aug-16 02:47:52

That is nuts!!

I went to our neighbourhood pool for the first time and they have a system whereby on the hour. EVERY hour, everyone has to get out to allow for a 10min adult swim.

The day we went, myself and 2DC, another woman and her 4DC all dutifully got out, sat in the 38C heat with no umbrellas, watched an empty pool and then got back in.

They even have a lane ropes off that could be used for the supposed adults to swim in alongside, the pool is massive. But no, rules is rules.

HerRoyalNotness Wed 17-Aug-16 02:49:47

...oh and you're not allowed to take outside food or drinks in. That's nice, except the 'cafe' is not open during the week, but if you want something the lifeguards can call across to the golf course who can make something and send it over. Bonkers! I might actually go to the next AGM.

YourNewspaperIsShit Wed 17-Aug-16 07:13:09

I'd be asking for a refund if you weren't aware of the system before entering, there's no way in hell I could put up with that. They're being grabby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now