Talk

Advanced search

To ask what your 7yo 'does'?

(10 Posts)
bingisthebest Tue 16-Aug-16 21:27:27

My dd who is 7 is completely unable to do ,well, anything really on her own. She is able to do puzzles, colouring etc but only if I'm sat right next to her doing it with her. Big difficult with 2 other young dcs and all the other things I need to do.
Aibu expecting her to occupy herself? Driving me insane!

DailyFaily Tue 16-Aug-16 21:33:28

My 7 year old DS plays pretty well on his own - will build Lego or play with transformers/soft toys. He has no interest in drawing. Mostly he is happy to play video games (iPad, DS, Xbox) or watch TV both of which he'll do alone or with friends online - he would do that all day if I let him (which would be an easy life for me but obviously not terribly healthy!)

rewardformissingmojo Tue 16-Aug-16 21:36:30

Reads happily alone, drawing, colouring, art work. Play in garden, climbs trees, shouts over fence to neighbours, friendly-like....

Glittered Tue 16-Aug-16 21:39:14

My four year old doesn't do much alone I have to do colouring puzzles etc with her I was hoping she will get better as she gets older

yummumto3girls Tue 16-Aug-16 21:39:27

At that age you would expect her to be able to entertain herself for a while, play with younger DC's etc Perhaps it's a jealousy thing as she sees you with younger ones and thinks she should get the same level of attention?

AstridPeth Tue 16-Aug-16 21:42:14

Thankfully my 7 year old has 3 olders sisters to keep him occupied. Otherwise as a mummy's boy he would be glued to me all day. But he can independently play computer games,use his scooter and take things apart (he loves to tinker). This summer we are trying to crack bike riding, he is very nervous but getting there.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 16-Aug-16 21:43:31

Yanbu.
My 7 year old doesn't bother me at all. She reads a lot, does loads of self - created crafts, plays role play games with her younger sister, plays outside a lot in our garden.
Maybe I'm a mean mum, but I wouldnt tolerate her expecting me to entertain her.

Peppapogstillonaloop Tue 16-Aug-16 21:46:06

My 7 yr old dd is like this. She Cannot do anything alone, always wants input or company even when colouring/ Lego etc. In part I think she has fomo so can't bear for others to be doing something else in case it's more exciting. Her 4 year old brother is totally different and will play well alone..
It's bloody annoying! No top tips I'm afraid just sympathy!

ghostyslovesheep Tue 16-Aug-16 21:46:34

Minecraft
Minecraft videos on YouTube
Singing
Dancing
Colouring
Dubious activities involving nude barbies
Cat cuddling
Reading

Only really bothers my when hungry, tired or bored

ButtMuncher Tue 16-Aug-16 21:48:33

DSS is more independent than he used to be but is still quite reliant on us being 'around' - mainly to show us what he's built on Minecraft or a bit of a YouTube video we really don't care for grin we do end up finding ourselves constantly 'required' to be present until DP reminds him that he can watch/play it alone etc.

I think part of DSS issue is that he's an only child and his Mum is nearly constantly with him when he's awake (unless at school) - she'll sit with him no matter what, so he's used to always having someone there to facilitate whatever it is he's doing. DP and I are very much of the 'you're a big boy now, we trust you to play/watch nicely' which he's started to really appreciate.

He does colour and read sometimes but he's the typical technology obsessed child who was probably introduced a little too early to iPads etc (DPs fault entirely!) grin he's 7.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now