To think its unusual for someone middle aged to have no mobile & no home internet

(53 Posts)
JedRambosteen Tue 16-Aug-16 18:34:02

Someone I know professionally who is in a senior role, so not an income issue. I'm trying to work out if he's a raging Luddite or a wrong 'un. It's the only two explanations I can come up with. grin For context, we are in an urban area with excellent mobile phone coverage and lots of broadband options. Basically, the scenario does not compute. Why would anyone be so unconnected in this day and age?

SuperHeroesForKids Tue 16-Aug-16 18:38:13

Because they don't want to contacted by the world selling them shit and receiving spam all the time?

Surely if you want to get in touch with them you could call their home phone or go round?

Sounds like a classy person to me.

scaryteacher Tue 16-Aug-16 18:38:23

Perhaps because they want to be? Why is there an imperative to be connected at all times? We hired a holiday cottage in a small village in Devon in June with no mobile reception at all. The world didn't end.

There are continual raised eyebrows at our small TV. I don't want a massive flat screen dominating my wall.....and I read and sew more than I watch TV anyway.

Lesley1980 Tue 16-Aug-16 18:46:22

connected to what though? strangers on chat pages? News he could read in a paper? Online shopping when he could actually just go out & shop?

People waste hours online adding no value to their life when they could be out in the real world.

Ragwort Tue 16-Aug-16 18:49:59

I have a friend who actually works in an IT based role but refused to use a mobile or internet at home - he believes in old fashioned communication.

Having spent two hours in tears today over an IT problem at work I think I agree with him grin.

There is a life beyond social media (and yes I know I am using Mumsnet grin).

Stillunexpected Tue 16-Aug-16 18:50:06

Presumably this professional person has internet access and a work mobile so feels he is connected enough? Maybe he just doesn't want to be bothered by non-essential calls and spam emails when he is at home? Maybe he is lying to you because you are one of the people he is trying to avoid?!

SquidgyRedBall Tue 16-Aug-16 18:50:09

It is unusual but each to their own I suppose.

What's classed as middle aged? Being youngish I have grown up with the internet but if I hadn't maybe I wouldn't be so bothered.

GFIL doesn't have Internet or a computer and he only turns his mobile phone on if he wants to call someone.

JedRambosteen Tue 16-Aug-16 18:50:16

I guess our life is different, in that our evenings & weekends are rammed with kids parties, family stuff etc and I couldn't cope without online food, clothes & gift shopping - plus catching up on news & telly as and when. I suppose its easier to make time to shop in the real world & similar if you have fewer demands on your time. We only grocery shop in actual shops when we are on holiday these days.

Ragwort Tue 16-Aug-16 18:55:15

Depends how you choose to spend your time - we all have 24 hours in the day - are you really doing 'family stuff' all the time hmm - personally I love to escape the family by going shopping, I actually find drifting around a supermarket quite relaxing grin. I very rarely buy anything on line.

Floggingmolly Tue 16-Aug-16 18:56:43

It's possible to shop in actual real life shops very occasionally, you know confused. It doesn't have to consume your every waking moment.
Maybe he shops monthly and has a large freezer?
All your stated reasons for the necessity of being "connected" are ridiculously puerile.

nancy75 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:02:19

I am 41, we have had internet for years but I only got a mobile a couple of years ago and to be honest I still struggle with the mobile aspect of it- the phone is more likely to be on the side in the kitchen than wherever I am. My view was always that if I am at home I am free to talk, if I'm out I'm probably busy and not free to talk! I have only been persuaded to have one because dd is getting older and more independent and might need to get in touch with me.

suspiciousofgoldfish Tue 16-Aug-16 19:05:36

This is my husbands dream.

I won't be telling him about this, I don't want him to get any ideas.

But seriously, I think it's actually quite cool (for other people, mind, I wouldn't want to live without the internet).

We might all have to though, when the zombie apocalypse hits.....

freetrampolineforall Tue 16-Aug-16 19:07:16

Their choice and not weird at all. Not really any reason to query it.

JedRambosteen Tue 16-Aug-16 19:09:21

Thinking back, I only got a decent mobile when I went back to work after mat leave, as I needed to be contactable for nursery. Up til then I was on PAYG with a crap old Erikson that only stored 10 numbers. I was a late convert.

JedRambosteen Tue 16-Aug-16 19:10:37

By the way, I'm loving all the bosom-hoisting in AIBU. grin

SnipSnipMrBurgess Tue 16-Aug-16 19:13:13

What age is middle age?

Ifiwasabadger Tue 16-Aug-16 19:13:14

I am one of the few people left in the world who doesn't have a smart phone. It is wonderful.

I do hope where have the Internet at home smile

Ifiwasabadger Tue 16-Aug-16 19:13:38

However that should have said!

JedRambosteen Tue 16-Aug-16 19:18:20

Late 40s to early 50s?

Ragwort Tue 16-Aug-16 19:53:37

I don't even know if my mobile is a smart phone or not? How do you know confused - obviously I am not smart enough. grin.

Does that constitute bosom hoisting? Even more confused.

Ragwort Tue 16-Aug-16 19:54:20

I'm clearly over the hill as good as dead in my late 50s.

JedRambosteen Tue 16-Aug-16 20:07:46

Can you access the internet on your phone, Ragwort? If yes = smartphone. If not = thickphone. smile

MsRinky Tue 16-Aug-16 20:18:31

I'm 43 and only have a thickphone although I do have internet access at home and and work. However, my idea of a good weekend is to head off in our campervan with a good book. Maybe have the radio on a little. No screens, no hassle, just relax. Lovely.

YesThisIsMe Tue 16-Aug-16 20:33:19

I do find it odd. Regardless of the professional contrarians of AIBU, I find the Internet pretty much irreplaceable. My DPILs don't have it and whenever they come down there's always a list of things for me to do for them online.

This week online I've ordered food, set up a wishlist for my DD's birthday with Amazon to make it easier for my elderly parents to buy her a present, booked cinema tickets, researched birthday party venues, ordered parking permits, bought insurance, checked swimming timetables, worked out which branch of the library has the book I want to read, downloaded The Periodic Table, Sweeney Todd and Blithe Spirirt to listen to on my commute, triaged my work emails, and done a shedload of admin for a local charity. Much of it could have been done on foot or by phone but by no means all and it would have taken a long time.

witsender Tue 16-Aug-16 20:42:51

I use the internet for a lot of things but don't have a TV. This makes us very odd according to many people I know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now