Talk

Advanced search

Hammer drill (?) at 8am.

(33 Posts)
LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 08:22:31

They are building an extension a few doors down. For the last week it's been really noisy but yesterday they started doing something that involves a rhythmic loud banging. One of the neighbours said its a hammer drill.

They've started this morning at 8am on the dot. It's making my house shake, I'm literally sitting on the sofa bouncing.

I'm in a message group with some of the neighbours (small estate) and it's the same for them.

I know the work needs to be done but are they really allowed to start this early? And how much longer is this likely to go on for?

I don't know the neighbours in the house being worked on to ask.

Wah! I never thought I'd be THAT neighbour but it's really doing my head in.

originalmavis Tue 16-Aug-16 08:23:47

I'd saunter past when someone happened to be working outside and ask how long it's likely to go on for.

PitchFork Tue 16-Aug-16 08:24:48

I think from 8 is ok for noisy works.
but it eould be nice if your neighbours let you know boforehand about extra disruptive work.

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Tue 16-Aug-16 08:25:27

8am during the week is considered working hours and unless the noise was continuous and not just temporary during the construction period it's unlikely to be considered a nuisance by EH.

bombayflambe Tue 16-Aug-16 08:26:37

8am on a weekday isn't that bad. presumably if they are professionals it isn't going on late into the evening.
BT arrived at 7.40 to fit an aerial yesterday. I'm sure the neighbours weren't thrilled, but perhaps not as shocked as the teenagers sleeping all over the house!

molyholy Tue 16-Aug-16 08:28:30

Agree with pitchfork. 8am is okay for noise, but a bit of a warning would have been neighbourly.

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 08:28:30

Ugh. One of my neighbours has a brand new baby, another works night shifts. We've all got children who are still in bed.

It feels like my house is going to fall down. I actually can't hear the tv over the noise, it's that loud. And I live in a big solid detached house, not a flimsy terrace.

LadyPenelope68 Tue 16-Aug-16 08:28:31

YABU 8am is a totally acceptable time to start work on a normal working week day.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 16-Aug-16 08:29:51

8am is normal start time for builders, unfortunately. On the plus side, they'll be gone by 3.30pm or 4 at the latest.

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 08:31:51

I'm usually alright with noise. Kids playing out? Lovely. Dogs barking in gardens? Not a problem. But this? It's actually triggering my monophonia. It's the rhythmic-ness of it.

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 08:32:11

*misophonia. My phone is a twat.

OnionKnight Tue 16-Aug-16 08:32:31

8AM is perfectly acceptable, the world doesn't pause for babies or night shift workers etc.

Honeyandfizz Tue 16-Aug-16 08:32:46

We have neighbours directly at the back of us who have virtually knocked down and rebuilt their house, their cowboy builders start around this time and its been 8 months now with no end in sight. I think 8am however is an acceptable time to be starting in all fairness, fortuantely they usually end their working day by 2pm so its not all bad!

NavyandWhite Tue 16-Aug-16 08:33:37

When we had our house renovated the contractors turned up at 7.15 some days!
I told them no noise till 8am.

Sorry Op I think you'll have to put up with it. Hopefully won't go on for too much longer.

Amelie10 Tue 16-Aug-16 08:34:25

Yabu, 8am is perfectly fine as most people are already on their way to work and households are up.

Amummyatlast Tue 16-Aug-16 08:35:12

I was worried for a moment when I opened this thread, as our builder is using a concrete crusher as I type. As others say, 8am seems to be the normal start time for builders and we did warn our neighbours.

stonecircle Tue 16-Aug-16 08:37:16

My neighbour is a diy enthusiast but works through the week. He regularly starts selling and hammering at 8am - but on a weekend.

I think 8am on a weekday is reasonable. When we had an extension built the builders always started at that time.

PseudoBadger Tue 16-Aug-16 08:39:08

Generally accepted hours for noisy work are Mon-Fri 8-6, Sat 8-1

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 08:39:15

It's a huge fucking house already. Wtf do they need an extension for? <grump grump grump>

heron98 Tue 16-Aug-16 08:40:51

8am is not early for a work day. I think YABU.

JaniceBattersby Tue 16-Aug-16 08:42:39

It's a huge fucking house already. Wtf do they need an extension for? <grump grump grump>

This was what our actual neighbour used as an objection during the planning process when we renovated our last house grin

You have my sympathies OP. Building noise is a horrible, but unfortunately inevitable, part of living in proximity to other people. I hope it stops soon.

LewisAndClark Tue 16-Aug-16 08:47:01

Ha! I'm not quite THAT neighbour yet then. Did the planning people laugh at them?

lovelybangers Tue 16-Aug-16 08:48:54

8 am isn't early.

NavyandWhite Tue 16-Aug-16 08:50:58

Silicone earplugs OP.
I have misophonia. It's quite debilitating at times, so I have earplugs with me all the time, it just takes away the harshness of noise.

cherryplumbanana Tue 16-Aug-16 08:53:07

Around here, according to the council, acceptable hours are 7.30am to 6pm Mond to Fr.
Saturdays 8am to 1pm. No noisy work will normally be permitted on Sundays and bank holidays.

Why do people think it's acceptable to build an extension at 11.30pm (really!), and start their lawn mower at 8pm, I will never know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now