Talk

Advanced search

to not want to go on holiday next summer holidays?

(8 Posts)
mendimoo Tue 16-Aug-16 00:19:32

DP is badgering me to book something for next year's summer holidays but I really don't want to go on holiday. I have DS (7) from my previous marriage and we have DD (nearly 2) together and DP works shifts. He had annual leave at the beginning of the holidays so we went away the day after DS finished school for 16 days (camping.) DS went to his dad's the day we got back and I had two days of unpacking and washing before my brother, SIL and DN came to stay for a week and needed entertaining. Both DC had friends over the day they left, and then DS went to his dad's again for a few days. DD and I had a couple of 'normal' days (library, park, painting, national Trust place, baking, swimming) but then had to pack up again as DP has booked another four days camping from tomorrow.

I haven't had time to catch up with anyone we planned to, I haven't had time to sort school shoes or uniform, I haven't had time for a couple of day trips I wanted to take the kids on and we missed loads of local events when we were away at the beginning of the holidays. We have something booked/planned for every remaining day and I think it's ridiculous we won't have had a single day just spent indoors or with the chance to be bored. I don't feel like it's been restful at all and though I enjoy going out, I'd like more of a balance next year. DP however, wants to go away for 16-18 days again. AIBU to want to stay local and go away for 5-7 days max, with several days kept free to just 'be'?

peppercold Tue 16-Aug-16 00:36:34

Yanbu at all! Sounds like a fair compromise.

KC225 Tue 16-Aug-16 04:35:17

It does all sound a bit hectic. You need to space things out next year. Have at least three of four breather days inbetween. Tell DH it's not that you don't want to go on holiday but you want less

CodyKing Tue 16-Aug-16 04:41:20

Or - tell DP he's ping the packing and washing - you'll be going home earlier without DD for a rest - he can stay and enjoy the camping.

You are doing all the work so it isn't a rest for you -

Suggest he helps out with visitors as well

myownprivateidaho Tue 16-Aug-16 07:13:27

Definitely not unreasonable to want a shorter holiday. That said, I don't think that it makes much sense to worry about not having done enough day trips and local events because you've been on holiday- surely the holiday is a good alternative and you can do day trips and events in the holiday destination. You also did have your sister and her family to stay for a week of when you were at home which was presumably your decision. However, three weeks of camping sounds stressful.

I think cutting it down to five days might be a bit mean, since it's your DP's holiday as well. But a week or two would be a fair compromise. And maybe be if it wasn't camping it would be more restful.

TheGreatDessert Tue 16-Aug-16 08:04:50

I would never sacrifice going on holiday. I would, however, refuse to accommodate guests and limit friends coming over to a couple of times a week.

NavyandWhite Tue 16-Aug-16 08:11:56

I'd suggest to book for 10 days and maybe not plan so much during the holidays so you get a bit of time to relax?

CoraPirbright Tue 16-Aug-16 09:02:12

You sound like me - trying to pack too much in! Can you compromise on a slightly shorter holiday and then allocate specific dates in the diary where you will be Doing Nothing. Limit the number of visitors - that is exhausting and very hard work although lovely. Also set aside 2/3 days about 2 weeks prior to the start of term where you sort uniform/shoes/haircuts etc. Its all about planning and then being firm and not changing your arrangements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now