Talk

Advanced search

To think saying x% of voters in the election is correct? Warning:AIBU suitable only for pedants

(10 Posts)
HoneyDragon Mon 15-Aug-16 12:51:57

Was discussing the statement released by the government in regards to leaving EU petition, not a debatey discussion, just chatting whys and what fors.

Until I made the comment, it is close when x percentage of particular constituent Brexit voters voted leave.

Other person went that's incorrect as not all voters voted. Your percentage is skewed.

I pointed out that I said Brexit voters, ergo my percentage was correct. Eligible voters that had not voted were not Brexit voters.

I'm right aren't I?

I can be civilised discussing politics, but pedantry NEVER.

SilverDragonfly1 Mon 15-Aug-16 13:01:46

You were discussing voters, not the electorate. You're fine.

IceBeing Mon 15-Aug-16 13:05:21

yanbu

Hassled Mon 15-Aug-16 13:05:51

I think you're fine. You were saying 30% of the people who voted in Balamory voted leave; you weren't saying 30% of the population of Balamory voted leave.

TheNaze73 Mon 15-Aug-16 13:06:28

Spot on op

OlennasWimple Mon 15-Aug-16 13:08:02

YANBU

I guess for full pendantry you should have said something like "x% of those in constituency X who voted in the referendum on leaving the EU", but "Brexit voters" is a decent shorthand smile

HoneyDragon Mon 15-Aug-16 13:09:31

I bloody knew I was! <struts victoriously>

Plexie Mon 15-Aug-16 13:11:17

Silverdragonfly1 has it: 'electorate' are the people eligible to vote; 'voters' are the people who actually voted. So the Other Person should have used the term 'electorate' and not 'voters'.

Although I'm not sure what you'd call the people who 'voted' but spoilt their ballot papers ...

tiggytape Mon 15-Aug-16 13:14:46

Yes you are correct.
Elections and referendum results tend to be reported in terms of "share of the vote" or "majority of voters" because around 40% of those eligible to vote usually choose not to.
The referendum turnout was about as high as it ever gets in a nationwide vote.

I guess for full pendantry you should have said something like "x% of those in constituency X who voted in the referendum on leaving the EU"
To be even more pedantic, the counting areas used in the referendum were for administrative ease only and do not directly correspond with MP constituencies.
The referendum was a UK wide one with every vote in every area and from every voter counting equally towards to the final outcome. Details about which counting areas voted each way are just for statistical interest - that information isn't part of any official result.

HoneyDragon Mon 15-Aug-16 14:17:38

Absolutely ....we were discussing on particular area though that statistically had surprised us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now