Advanced search

Taking ex's name off council tax

(5 Posts)
OhhBetty Mon 15-Aug-16 08:57:38

Am I allowed to do this? He moved into his parents after I discovered his affair. We have an 18 month old son. We jointly own our house. I will be putting a claim in for council tax support. I think as he isn't living here I should take his name off it. He says I can't as he owns the house as well. Does anyone know if this is true?

MsVestibule Mon 15-Aug-16 09:02:40

I believe that it's where you live that counts, not whether you own the house or not. He should come off yours, and go on to your parents.

Why don't you just phone your council this morning and ask? It would set your mind at rest.

QuiteLikely5 Mon 15-Aug-16 09:03:21

Of course you need to take his name off! Hurry up so you get your 25% single person discount!!

Him being in the mortgage is neither here nor there

Blushingm Mon 15-Aug-16 09:05:05

Yes - I did just that on Saturday

OhhBetty Mon 15-Aug-16 09:11:02

Thanks everyone! I've taken his name off every othee bill. I think the only thing keeping me going is being practical!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now