Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about this tomato

(37 Posts)
Okay377 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:34:14

I bought a packet of 6 on the vine tomatoes from tesco this afternoon. Opened when I got home and one is manky - split on two sides and leaky. AIBU to return to the shop?

And yes, I know I could buy from a market where I could check tomatoes before buying (I couldn't see this through the packaging) but Tesco is convenient. And I know

I could chop and cook but wasn't planning on that for dinner tonight.

It was only a pound a pack but that's a lot for me at the moment.

Bearbehind Sun 14-Aug-16 15:35:38

Wouldn't it cost more to go back than it's worth?

Penfold007 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:35:50

I would return the pack. One manky tomato will spoil the others in the pack.

Sparklesilverglitter Sun 14-Aug-16 15:36:00

For 1 split tomato I personally wouldn't but I'm lazy!

If you want to go back to the store and get another pack why not? Yanbu to go back to the shop

NeedACleverNN Sun 14-Aug-16 15:36:57

Well yes yabu

It's one tomato. Chuck it and eat the rest. It's £1. Too much faff for a £1

Just chuck it in the bin. I had to throw away a mouldy strawberry that was in a brand new bought that day packet. The rest were fine so I ruled the loss and just threw it.

PovertyPain Sun 14-Aug-16 15:39:47

If a pound is a lot for you, OP, and it doesn't cost you anything in time and money, then take it back. I've been in the situation where a pound is to me, what £10 is to others.

OpenMe Sun 14-Aug-16 15:42:22

Of course you wouldn't be unreasonable and I'm sure it would be replaced without question if you did but I really couldn't be bothered. I'd just use one less tomato in whatever I had planned.

It does seem to a bit odd to spend £1 on fancy tomatoes if £1 is such a lot of money to you ATM that you're going to worry about this TBH.

Okay377 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:43:49

It doesn't cost me to go back - I walk there. That's what I was worried about penfold I've laid the others out on the side to dry if they had juice spread from the manky one. I guess I wonder if the shop will think IABU and a cheapskate

Pearlman Sun 14-Aug-16 15:45:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Okay377 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:45:21

I'm not on the breadline open but they were a treat to have in salads this week. I still have five so I guess IABU

Okay377 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:46:21

And I see it as one less portion of fruit/veg this week!

Babyzoo Sun 14-Aug-16 15:46:51

Yanbu to. Whether it's worth the hassle is another matter.

pigsDOfly Sun 14-Aug-16 15:48:29

Don't worry about what the shop will think of you.

If it's not too much of a faff to go back why not. If one tomato is bad it's possible they're all off especially if they're on the same vine.

PavlovianLunge Sun 14-Aug-16 15:49:46

Not unreasonable to return/exchange the pack, and I doubt the shop staff will judge you in any way - they certainly shouldn't.

AyOhRiver Sun 14-Aug-16 15:51:01

You could tweet/post on their facebook page with a picture of the offending tomato and see what they say. A friend did this a few weeks ago with some manky apples, also Tesco, and got a voucher in addition to refund for the hassle of returning them.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 14-Aug-16 15:51:09

If I get dodgy produce and am going to be in the shop anyway I usually do take it back. If I'm not going in that dirrection I don't make a special trip. It's not really about the actual money to me. Some supermarkets will refund the cost and replace the item.

PhoneNumberQuestion Sun 14-Aug-16 15:55:55

It's one tomato. Chuck it and eat the rest. It's £1. Too much faff for a £1

Take it back and make a fuss but politely - reference the inconvenience to you, time to bring it back, spoiled your planned dinner etc etc
They'll probably give you something +++ - like a money off voucher or something beyond £1.

nennyrainbow Sun 14-Aug-16 15:59:04

YANBU to take it back. They will refund or replace without any questions - it is substandard goods after all.

ginghamstarfish Sun 14-Aug-16 16:05:20

Just call their CS - they will refund you with clubcard points or send you out a voucher. I do my shopping online with Tesco and anything manky or not fit for purpose means a call to them and a refund/voucher. Never had any problems with them.

Amelie10 Sun 14-Aug-16 16:07:37

Please don't embarrass yourself and tweet about it. Rather return it if you really feel you need to.

elephantoverthehill Sun 14-Aug-16 16:08:29

YABU. A few times the person on the checkout has noticed stuff like this and asked someone to get a new pack for me. If that had been the case then you would not have been embarrassed. Once in Asda the checkout operator checked my eggs, which I had failed to do. One was broken so she gave me the box free. You have the right to enjoy all the tomatoes you paid for. smile.

Bluechip Sun 14-Aug-16 16:15:26

Thanks elephant and amelie I have no intention of tweeting about a split tomato although I'm not sure how I'm embarrassing myself hmm

I'll take back. Thanks all.

Amelie10 Sun 14-Aug-16 16:25:15

confusedI didn't say you were going to tweet, just referred to the suggestion to do that from a pp.

elephantoverthehill Sun 14-Aug-16 16:31:29

I guess I wonder if the shop will think IABU and a cheapskate
I would be embarrassed if the shop did take on that attitude which I an quite sure they will not.

Vickyyyy Sun 14-Aug-16 16:40:37

Return it, you may also get a voucher for a fiver or so for the inconvenience.

I wouldn't bother personally, but it seems to have upset you somewhat so why not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now