Advanced search

To not be sure what to do/who I need to see about hurting ankle

(12 Posts)
WidowWadman Sun 14-Aug-16 09:59:49

Ankle has been hurting for about 10 days now especially walking downstairs/downhill, there's a swelling right underneath the anklebone and the spot is painful to touch. Pain radiates up to knee. I don't remember an accident or trip or stumble that could have caused it, but first noticed when doing light walking on hilly terrain. Haven't been to doctor's yet as I was on holiday abroad and expected it to sort itself with RICE, but after 10 days no sign of improvement, rather got worse, I think.

I'm back in the UK now and guess I ought to see someone but not clear if this is a GP job? Obviously it's not for A&E with it being an ongoing condition but not sure if GPs deal with sore joints?

AnneGables Sun 14-Aug-16 10:06:52

I would visit your gp, who will then refer you on/order xrays if necessary.

Hopefully it will be better by the time your appointment comes through.

WidowWadman Sun 14-Aug-16 10:08:11

I guess I'll give them a ring in the morning. Not keen on missing the gym for the foreseeable :-(

thelonelyhamster Sun 14-Aug-16 10:12:19

I'd go with GP for that... assuming you can get an appointment within a reasonable time and it's not really getting worse.

Does your Doctors surgery have an out of hours number, might be an option to give that a call and see if you can get some advice over the phone.

Or give the NHS 111 people a call, although they are likely to be a bit useless.

thelonelyhamster Sun 14-Aug-16 10:13:57

^ was supposed to say 'some advice over the phone if you're really worried.'

daisychain01 Sun 14-Aug-16 10:17:05

Your GP should be the first port of call for anything like this because they will need to refer you to the right specialist and before that, to get your ankle X rayed.

It could be a hairline fracture. If so it will heal on its own in about 10 week but if something else it's difficult to tell from what you've said.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 14-Aug-16 10:19:22

I get a swelling just under ankle bone on inside of foot - it's ligament damage on me - slowly improves - but been on and off for about three years now - invested in orthotics for my running shoes and dog walking boots, that helps - but basically need arch support now pretty much all the time ... And flip flops ( even my expensive ones with arch support ) make it worse !

Ask for as much info as you can get on it - especially if you like to be active !

My GP fobbed me off for the first couple of months and it got worse because of no support ! Don't let that happen to you !!

I find blasting cold air ( in the car - the AC is brilliant for this ) eases the soreness really well !

Hope it eases for you soon !

Noonesfool Sun 14-Aug-16 10:20:56

And stay off it till you've got some answers - you could potentially end up out of action for much longer.

WidowWadman Sun 14-Aug-16 10:44:58

GP it is then. Just wasn't sure if I'd be wasting their time and need to go to a MIU instead. At least they're quite good with quick appointments. I guess bodypump and climbing are cancelled this week :-(

IJustLostTheGame Sun 14-Aug-16 10:53:20

I'd go to a minor injuries unit.
I did the back of my foot in earlier this year. I could still walk on it. The minor injuries unit said my GP would have sent me in to them if I'd gone there.
I'd ruptured my achilles tendon.

SilverDragonfly1 Sun 14-Aug-16 10:59:23

I don't want to be alarmist, but bearing in mind that this is exactly how my DVT showed itself I'd say call whatever NHS Direct is calling itself these days. I assumed it was an ankle injury I couldn't remember getting- and which had me pretty much unable to walk for a couple of days- which meant I didn't get any treatment until the pulmonary embolism stage. If you went abroad on a plane it's especially worth checking out.

BusStopBetty Sun 14-Aug-16 10:59:58

Why don't you ring minor injuries and see if this is something they would deal with?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now