Talk

Advanced search

To ask what do you say when you meet a celebrity?

(195 Posts)
Mollymoo78 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:45:16

I feel like the only person who has never met a famous person and I wouldn't know what to say if I did!!

Heratnumber7 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:47:31

Well, you could start with "Hello"???

Mollymoo78 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:51:13

Ha! Well I saw a comment on FB a whike ago from this woman who had met the guy who plays Mr Bloom and she said she had a "lovely chat!" - about WHAT?! I really wouldn't have a clue what to say - "how's the talking veggies?@. I actually think I would have to ignore him just to avoid looking like a prat!

GertrudeMoo Sat 13-Aug-16 22:51:24

Yah.."Hello, how are you?" is a good start. I've met a few minor celebs from the music world. Most of them are quite down to earth. Some aren't though, and expect some adulation..in which case "Hello, so what do you do?" is always entertaining!

YouTheCat Sat 13-Aug-16 22:51:26

If they are just going about their every day business, I don't say anything to them. It would be intrusive.

I've been to a few comic conventions and usually start with 'hello, how are you today?'

Seren85 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:51:40

Every famous person I've ever met (so about 5, all musicians), I have made a prat of myself in front of. I've told the story of meeting Chad Kroger from Nickleback so many times that this will probably out me but I froze and then said, "I love you, touch me". In my defence I was quite young at the time but he looked very worried. DH says that I am no longer allowed to approach famous people.

TheRealAdaLovelace Sat 13-Aug-16 22:53:47

I say hi but let's honest, it's not an everyday occurence.
I was quite blown away by the lead singer of a reasonably famous band, but after 10 minutes of conversation, I felt quite bored and thought he was a bit of a tit.

TheRealAdaLovelace Sat 13-Aug-16 22:55:14

Once I sat near George Michael in his Wham! days but made a point of ignoring him....omg I was so cool I was icy

Champagneformyrealfriends Sat 13-Aug-16 22:55:42

I said "oh it's you!" to someone once. Then to the lead singer of my favourite band, "oh my god I love you!"

Not my finest moment.

Mollymoo78 Sat 13-Aug-16 22:57:13

ha Seren85 love it!

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 13-Aug-16 22:57:40

'Oh my God! You're Aunt Hilda from Sabrina!' Followed by bizarre noises.

NoCapes Sat 13-Aug-16 22:58:07

I bumped into Eamonn Holmes on holiday once and said "oh Eamonn hi! Where's Ruth?"
It took him a few seconds to realise that no, he didn't actually know me and I was just way over invested in daytime tv and felt like I knew him blush

OpenMe Sat 13-Aug-16 22:58:54

Aren't you married? I met a big celebrity who was comparing a corporate do where I was practically the only woman. He seemed to think I should be falling at his feet.

klmnop Sat 13-Aug-16 22:59:59

Err they're just people. Humans like you and me. I have met one or 2 and I have always aimed to talk to them the same as I would anyone else

WorraLiberty Sat 13-Aug-16 23:01:33

If they are just going about their every day business, I don't say anything to them. It would be intrusive.

This ^^

Why would you want to be the 100th person to intrude and piss them off?

If you have a reason to speak to them, then the conversation will pretty much take care of itself.

UncleHerbie Sat 13-Aug-16 23:02:15

I've met Johnny Vegas at John Lewis in Westfield Stratford. He was patiently queuing to pay for wrapping paper just ahead of me. I thought shall I ask for a pic (note: NOT a selfie), he graciously agreed. His wife offered then took a pic of the two of us. We chatted about his ceramics degree as my niece had also studied it at Central St Martin's. I found him charming, humble and he smelt great!

Whathaveilost Sat 13-Aug-16 23:03:11

I met an American hip hop artist that I really like a few weeks ago.
I said 'oh hello, I'm going to see you in London in a few weeks'

He gave a genuine smile and shook my hands and said 'oh really, that's wonderful' I couldn't think of anything else to say so said 'yeah, really looking forward to it, anyway I must dash'

(Cringe)

SuperManStoleMyPants Sat 13-Aug-16 23:05:43

S'up dude - Prince Harry
S'up dude - Orlando Bloom
Tent will be fine, drop the trowel - Michael Caines
So sorry she's still potty training - she who must not be named

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Sat 13-Aug-16 23:09:57

Seren I love that story!

BadToTheBone Sat 13-Aug-16 23:10:18

I've met some really big sporting names and some royalty but always in situations where it would've been plain weird not to speak, we usually just chat about things happening right there and then, general chit chat.

If I've simply been near someone famous, then I wouldn't speak TBH. I don't want to be the one that pesters them. I sat in the seat in front of Dermot O'Leary at the Olympics in 2012, he was obviously with his mates but plenty of people came up to him and some even sat down to chat, he was super nice to them but I felt sorry for him as he missed out on spending time with his mates.

HateSummer Sat 13-Aug-16 23:11:03

I would never approach a celebrity. They're humans like us. They don't deserve any special treatment.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 13-Aug-16 23:15:54

I finally met the object of my most enduring desire, the singer in a well known band, by hanging around the stage door after a gig (I went to many). When he materialised, looking a little tired and pale but smelling divine, I pushed a copy of their very first single under his nose and said politely, "Would you mind?"

He scrawled his name without looking at me and got dragged away by a publicist. Meh, he wanted me I could tell.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Sat 13-Aug-16 23:20:33

I discussed the zombie apocalypse with Danny John Jules, and Indian food with Hattie Hayridge 😀

scampimom Sat 13-Aug-16 23:23:55

I always thought I'd be so cool if I ever met a celebrity. The few times I actually have, I have devastated them with my wit and intelligence, variously intimating, "Ih!", "AHAHAHAHHAHAH" and "----" then running away.

Smoooooooooth.

Boogers Sat 13-Aug-16 23:25:34

I met a local newsreader in a professional capacity a year ago, he was doing something with H's work and he just appeared from nowhere and started talking to H's boss who was stood behind me. I coloured up and got a very embarrassing grin on my face! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now