To think that karate belt gradings are based on arbitrary assessment criteria?

(7 Posts)
wellsoftunbridge Sat 13-Aug-16 19:28:19

Are karate clubs obliged to give a reason if a kid doesn't pass a grading? I've watched a lot of gradings over the years my DCs have been doing it and the Sensei's never write anything down. There's usually at least two hundred adults and kids grading at the same time and they don't watch all of them closely. It must be difficult to even keep track of who is who.

As each grade seems to cost around £50 (and £150 for the blackbelt gradings), the clubs must be raking in a fortune, and so long as they keep passing, we keep on paying. But if they fail, what level of feedback can we expect? From what I've heard, the reasons given are sometimes a bit arbitrary.

birdsdestiny Sat 13-Aug-16 19:34:55

I have never seen any child fail. And that in itself makes me a bit sceptical. However I am talking
about belts below a black belt. We certainly didn't have 200 in 1 grading , maybe 20 at most. That sounds impossible to manage.

gettingtherequickly Sat 13-Aug-16 19:36:31

We never had more than 30 in a grading, and I have seen people fail.
I think you need to change sensei

AlwaysDancing1234 Sat 13-Aug-16 19:40:34

I think you need to change instructors.
Ours may have 50 grading in the same day but they get split in to smaller groups for the actual grading exam, no way should 100 or more be assessed together.
Also seems quite expensive, ours charge £27 which covers a warm up lesson beforehand, grading and the belt.
Sensei won't put people in for exam if he thinks they won't pass so a fail is rare.

BabyGanoush Sat 13-Aug-16 19:42:26

150 for a blackbelt grading! shock

Here it is 30

Takes about 3-4 hrs

Groups of about 8

FoxesOnSocks Sat 13-Aug-16 19:46:07

Maximum of 4 at a time in our club!! Also not seen a child fail, but have seen children have several 'pre-tests' which I've a sneaky suspicion would have been a test if they'd actually passed everything.

FoxesOnSocks Sat 13-Aug-16 19:46:37

No charge here!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now