To think going bowling for a stag do is a bit crap?

(131 Posts)
ShockedABC Sat 13-Aug-16 17:35:37

DP just text me to tell me his best man and a couple of other friends are taking him bowling soon and then off for a meal for his stag do tonight.

If that really is it, I'd be gutted for him. His brothers don't even appear to have been invited.

I really, really hope they are just faking and going to pull something out the bag.

tryingtobestronger Sat 13-Aug-16 17:36:52

I think that's what my husband would be happy to do to be honest.

I guess not everyone wants the club scene or whatever else they do on stags lol

FeckinCrutches Sat 13-Aug-16 17:37:43

Is he disappointed?

HSMMaCM Sat 13-Aug-16 17:38:11

My dh would be happy with that.

Willyorwonte Sat 13-Aug-16 17:38:14

Yabu
It's a lot better than a weekend abroad that costs a fortune.

HSMMaCM Sat 13-Aug-16 17:38:35

Maybe that's what he said he wanted?

ShockedABC Sat 13-Aug-16 17:39:39

I suppose I'm reflecting my own disappointment of the idea of no effort being put in.

Not even inviting his brothers?!

I specifically asked for no bars, clubs or shots for my hen do and I know already that effort has been put in to make it fun for my hen do. Everyone is really looking forward to it and it's a secret.

Bowling and a meal just sounds so 'can't be arsed'.

Lovefromhull Sat 13-Aug-16 17:39:54

That's what stag and hen dos used to be like. Sounds great to me!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sat 13-Aug-16 17:40:43

I think YABU. I'd love to go to a hen do that was just bowling and a meal. They seem to be completely out of hand nowadays.

Someone I know was complaining that every wedding he goes to costs him about £1000 shock by the time he has factored in a stag weekend, usually abroad, hotel for wedding, alcohol, gift etc.

spankhurst Sat 13-Aug-16 17:42:28

I think it's fine. Don't really get the stag/hen extravaganzas these days.

tryingtobestronger Sat 13-Aug-16 17:42:33

Oh wait it's your husbands stag do, not that your husband is attending his friends.
That's crap if he was expecting more tbh

JenLindley Sat 13-Aug-16 17:42:53

Well I hate bowling so I'd be dissappointed at that but it makes a change from all the "5 days in Vegas" stag dos that seem to be the only way to do it these days! I'd much rather have a meal out and drinks after. Like what used to happen!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 13-Aug-16 17:43:06

My DH went to the rugby club for drinks with a couple of mates. It's not about you, it's about him.

JenLindley Sat 13-Aug-16 17:44:46

OP if you have ruled out bars, night clubs and shots but also want more than bowling (or similar) and a meal then what exactly are you expecting for you hen? confused

mrsfuzzy Sat 13-Aug-16 17:45:08

if that's what he wants to do what's the problem ? not all men are into the strip club bit, if he was getting a lap dance you'd probably moan about that too, leave the poor guy alone.

PotteringAlong Sat 13-Aug-16 17:45:33

I went bowling for my hen do. It was awesome

WannaBe Sat 13-Aug-16 17:47:05

There was a time once, not so long ago, when a stag or hen do involved going out for a meal and a few drinks. Now this seems to have escalated into a weekend or more away at a cost of a vast fortune. why?

Yabu. Stag and hen do parties have got ridiculous - I think it's great that they are taking it right back to basics.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 13-Aug-16 17:48:26

Jeez you sound like hard work

Do you want them to strip him naked, handcuff him, and put him on the overnight train to Inverness?

And if he wants his brothers there, he should invite them and not just expect other people to sort things out.

tryingtobestronger Sat 13-Aug-16 17:49:54

Think people are over looking the fact that they've not even invited his brothers?

WyldChyld Sat 13-Aug-16 17:50:00

I had a sleepover with daft games, lots of food and drink and no pressure. The stags were so jealous they crashed the party (we knew they were going to)

BoGrainger Sat 13-Aug-16 17:51:11

It used to signify the last night of 'freedom' but most people live together already so seems a bit daft to do anything apart from a piss-up really. Bowling sounds great

CigarsofthePharoahs Sat 13-Aug-16 17:51:32

That's exactly what my DH did.
It's what he wanted to do. He didn't invite his brothers either, but they've never been close.
The last thing he wanted was one of the mega celebrations and he said he spent part of the time worried someone had booked a little "surprise" for him.
He said afterwards that he'd probably not have bothered at all, but for some of his friends.

BoGrainger Sat 13-Aug-16 17:53:20

Why does a groom need someone else to organise it? Especially one who doesn't know the 'guest list'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now