Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what's great about SE England?

(115 Posts)
Babyzoo Sat 13-Aug-16 15:35:14

I hear that everyone wants to live in the South East of England.

What is it that attracts everyone there?

Is it really a wonderful place to live?

Trills Sat 13-Aug-16 15:37:05

Where do you hear that?

Maybe ask the people who are saying it.

Living in London is different to living in Southampton is different to living in Canterbury.

Icklepickle101 Sat 13-Aug-16 15:37:31

It's bloody expensive and rains a lot, we are close to London but that isn't a fat load of help to us as we don't work in London!

eyebrowsonfleek Sat 13-Aug-16 15:38:37

I only people wanting to live there so that they can get further with their career.

Babyzoo Sat 13-Aug-16 15:38:43

Mainly on here trills, but also on property programmes.

Macarena1990 Sat 13-Aug-16 15:41:21

We live in London. On the plus side it is very multicultural, great shopping, lots to do and lots of education/career opportunities. On the down side it is bloody expensive - not just housing either.

I find the opposite on mumsnet - everyone seems very anti London actually.

HyunaRiddle Sat 13-Aug-16 15:43:09

For me it's the weather & of course each area has an image, the North is naturally colder then the south, I wouldn't be able to hack it in the winter and the Midlands just seems like the middle of nowhere to me, no offence to anyone who lives there. The SE has a very cosy, vibrant image, I think the beaches are better advertised as well & of course their proximity to London.

Sorka Sat 13-Aug-16 15:43:13

I live in SE as it's where I grew up and has high employment. I work in London, which means I'm tied to the place and can't afford to live in the kind of house I want and/or close to where I work.

revealall Sat 13-Aug-16 15:50:48

Two major airports and several easy boat and rail links to the continent.
Close to London but also countryside and sea.
Good weather.
People are nice.

DerelictMyBalls Sat 13-Aug-16 15:52:20

All my stuff's here.

BastardGoDarkly Sat 13-Aug-16 15:54:39

Norwich is here! Therefore it's ace.

Alconleigh Sat 13-Aug-16 15:55:11

The job market, largely. I greatly prefer many other areas but my job, for now, is London centric.

LewisAndClark Sat 13-Aug-16 15:56:24

We live in a lovely affluent village in the south east. There's almost zero unemployment. We're half an hour from the coast and London. The weather is mostly warmer than further north. Gatwick airport is about fifteen minutes away.

It's great. I'd never leave.

123rd Sat 13-Aug-16 15:57:14

We don't live in London but an hour ish away. I love where I live. Countryside, sea side, and good weather

idontlikealdi Sat 13-Aug-16 15:57:57

I would imagine most people that move into the SE do it for economic reasons.

I'm in the SE and would never move - I work in London and wouldn't get the salty anywhere else, or the amount of available jobs. I also line in a nice town with fab schools, good transport links locally, nationally and internationally.

crossroads3 Sat 13-Aug-16 16:00:24

All my stuff's here.

grin

Myusernameismyusername Sat 13-Aug-16 16:00:57

I live SE 30 miles out of London. I was born here lived here all my life. Very strong job market, it's very thriving and attractive (where I am at least, commuter belt), great transport links, tons of shops, things to do, good schools etc.
It's crippling financially so has become a place only the well off can enjoy.

Myusernameismyusername Sat 13-Aug-16 16:02:14

Also it's low crime area. My car insurance is crazy low. I like my kids growing up here apart from the financial side

Myusernameismyusername Sat 13-Aug-16 16:03:23

Good points from others too about the coast - it's not that far. Also good weather

Halfpastthelegofmyshirt Sat 13-Aug-16 16:04:21

I moved to the south east after living in Wales and the Midlands. It is so much warmer and sunnier here! The transport links are pretty crap here but the coast and the woodlands and countryside are beautiful. I love my adopted town.

Trills Sat 13-Aug-16 16:05:41

Do you really hear many people saying "I want to live in the South East" without it being clear that either:
a - they live there already
b - their family is there
or
c - they have a job there?

elQuintoConyo Sat 13-Aug-16 16:06:29

The desert.

(Google Dungeness).

Whinyleonard Sat 13-Aug-16 16:07:13

I agree. I am just looking to buy a flat for my retirement in about 10 years (if lucky) and am looking to live in the NE. Ice never been North of London though and rarely out of Devon when I am in the UK (live abroad). I want to know what's wrong with the North? I can buy, for a cash a nice 2 bed flat with a garden without even knocking out my savings. In Devon I wouldn't even be able to buy a garage and it's pretty crap. Only think for me there was my family and I am moving to NC. So please regale me with happy North stories and if you have a time weighing on your shoulders, find me a flat anywhere in the UK for 50k

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 13-Aug-16 16:10:40

There is some great wildlife at Dungeness!

I've always lived here and. mostly, love it. House prices and rents are crazy though and there are some areas that have huge pockets of poverty, like in Thanet.

Iggi999 Sat 13-Aug-16 16:11:32

There is coast all around the Britush Isles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now