Talk

Advanced search

to think people are arseholes?

(112 Posts)
RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 08:50:09

Not all of them. But another thread reminded me of something that happened to me when I was young and naïve (pretty much c+p from thread - those who read both aren't having déjà vu!):

In my early twenties I got chatting to and then bought a(n assumed) homeless man a drink in a pub.
My friend took a shine to him and invited him back to his flag where the three of us had an impromptu party - drink, drugs etc. he partook in both.
Woke up on the sofa the next day and our new friend had gone. So had all excess alcohol, plastic bags which had trace amounts of drugs in etc. The flat was actually comparatively tidy.
Went home, two days later went to withdraw some money from the cash point - card gone. Went bank - account empty.

The police had CCTV of him at the cash point down the road that morning, but because he must have seen my PIN when I bought him the drink there was no official crime committed according to the bank, I should have been more careful. Which I agree with.

My passcode on my phone was the same as my card at the time (^I knooow^) so I've always assumed he saw/kind of saw my PIN and then when I yelled my passcode to my friend who was wanting to change a song he had a lightbulb moment.

People are arseholes sometimes despite your best intentions.

Discuss.

makingacupoftea Sat 13-Aug-16 08:53:27

I agree - but it's a bit odd to randomly take a homeless man to your flat for drink and drugs confused maybe I have just led a very sheltered life.

SuperManStoleMyPants Sat 13-Aug-16 08:53:45

I hate it when people end a post in discuss.

So...no, shan't.

gingerboy1912 Sat 13-Aug-16 08:55:11

Some are assholes, some are tits, some are twats and others are right dicks.

But he sounds like he was an absolute cunt of the highest order. sad

DesolateWaist Sat 13-Aug-16 08:55:17

So you met some random bloke back to yours and drank and took drugs then acted all surprised when he robbed you blind.
What did you think was going to happen?

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 13-Aug-16 08:56:14

I think you were the arsehole in this scenario.

Magazinepile Sat 13-Aug-16 08:56:31

Had you ever met him before?confused

itsmine Sat 13-Aug-16 08:57:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoreenLethal Sat 13-Aug-16 08:57:18

Discuss

If you have only encountered one arsehole in your life, then presumably you never go out or are living a gilded life of Riley. And you should use the term 'person' not 'people'. 'This person was an arsehole'

Yes some are arseholes. Some are not. If you are taking randoms home and allowing them access to your alcohol, bank cards and PIN numbers then you are relying on their good will not to take advantage of you and as you don't actually know them [because they are a random] then pretty much anything can happen.

ApocalypseSlough Sat 13-Aug-16 08:58:32

Don't like discuss posts either.
Maybe he was a runaway desperately trying to turn his life around and his night of drink and drugs was the start of a slippery slope ending in prison or worse. In which case you're the arsehole- partying with a vulnerable man, inviting him into your home and engaging in recreational drug use.

TeaRexit Sat 13-Aug-16 09:00:30

Discuss what?

How its probably wise to not let a stranger in your home & let him work out your pin number.

Discussion over grin

PeggyMitchell123 Sat 13-Aug-16 09:00:46

Yes he was an arsehole but let's face it you took a strange man home for drink and drugs. Pretty careless. My thought now would be at least I only had money stolen. Anything could have happened to you.

At least it was a harsh life lesson for you.

RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 09:04:33

I've not seen 'discuss' on mn before I don't think - now I know why!

Yes, I was incredibly, incredibly careless and naive. And stupid, because worse could have happens, I know.

And I get that this man probably needed my £700 more than I did and I hope he had a bloody good day, but it did kind of tar my young and rose tinted view of people and karma. You live and learn.

It wasn't my flat - friend's flat, friend invited him back.

neonrainbow Sat 13-Aug-16 09:06:21

What a bloody stupid situation to put yourself in.

Birdsgottafly Sat 13-Aug-16 09:07:02

You got off lightly, that was very risky behaviour.

I'd also worry that someone is vulnerable enough to go back to s flat with two people that they've just met, on the promise of drink and drugs.

RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 09:07:11

Peggy agreed. And it was

Apocalypse he wasn't there under duress. I had a drug problem myself at the time which is how I ended up in this situation (cliche ahoy) and I'd never think of blaming anyone, let alone one night's worth of someone, for my own issues and actions

MiddleClassProblem Sat 13-Aug-16 09:07:12

Of course he did. I'm sure many people in his situation would have done the same. You're an idiot. I bet you thought you were all care in the community giving him a night like that when really you should have bought him some food.

You're the kid of person who is confused why their wallet is missing when you just had it in your back pocket walking around Barcelona.

Good on him I say. Hope he gets some hangover good as well as whatever naughtiness he might buy.

MiddleClassProblem Sat 13-Aug-16 09:07:25

*food not good

RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 09:12:29

MiddleClassProblem (ironic) - I actually agree. As if happened years ago now the sting has gone and I do hope he had a whale of a time with that money. He might have bought something to sell and started a business etc.

The 'discuss' was RE: would most people in his situation do this? I think yes, regardless of kindness* shown to them by the people/person they robbed

*^ive already acknowledged that I was an idiot. I thought a couple of lines of coke, some cans of red stripe and a few slices of frozen pizza was kindness. I was a stupid hipster cunt^

RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 09:12:55

MiddleClassProblem (ironic) - I actually agree. As if happened years ago now the sting has gone and I do hope he had a whale of a time with that money. He might have bought something to sell and started a business etc.

The 'discuss' was RE: would most people in his situation do this? I think yes, regardless of kindness* shown to them by the people/person they robbed

*^ive already acknowledged that I was an idiot. I thought a couple of lines of coke, some cans of red stripe and a few slices of frozen pizza was kindness. I was a stupid hipster cunt^

Elllicam Sat 13-Aug-16 09:14:40

Some people are arseholes, he does sound like one sad

RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 09:16:49

The bold in my last post was accidental

RosieWithTheGoodHair Sat 13-Aug-16 09:17:27

Also 1st line should read 'as it' not 'as if'

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Sat 13-Aug-16 09:19:27

You did a stupid reckless thing - the fact that he was able to see your PIN was careless. Not really surprising he took advantage.

And if you were all doing drugs then you were all twats.

Oh and 'Discuss' is always a dickish thing to put at the end of a post.

Are you the poster who keeps posting pics of their arse or have I got you mixed up with someone?

HuskyLover1 Sat 13-Aug-16 09:22:03

You're very lucky you weren't raped or bludgeoned to death.

Grow up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now