We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that when you're using play equipment in the park it's rude for parents to stand next to you waiting for you to finish

(559 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:04:14

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who hates this or if I'm being unreasonable.

When I'm in the park with my Sons and we want to go on something we play on something else until it's free and then quickly go on it once it becomes available. We don't stand right next to the parent and child waiting for them to get off! If we know something is really popular we will only stay on 5 mins so that everyone gets a chance to play.

One thing I've noticed consistently, is that there are a small number of parents who will stand right next to you with their child, literally waiting for you to get off the equipment. In the process, making you feel rushed and uncomfortable. Especially if they make a big deal of the fact they are waiting by saying stuff like 'won't be long now and you can go on once this boy has got off'.

Today I was in a large, fairly busy park and I put my Son in the swing. I had only just put him in when a woman went right behind me and said to her daughter 'we will go on once this boy has finished' she then proceeded to stand still, right next to me, with a grumpy face until we took our Son out of the swing'.

It's something I would never ever do. I think it's rude and unnecessary. Standing nearby is different but right next to the person is rude.

If a park is so busy it's necessary to queue for things I suppose that's different, but i'm not talking about parks like that. Just normal parks.

I know I probably am being a bit unreasonable but it's happened a few times now, and it's really getting on my nerves.

VenusRising Sat 13-Aug-16 00:14:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RunnyRattata Sat 13-Aug-16 00:17:14

YABU
They are just waiting their turn.
Maybe they suffer from Bitchy Resting Face. Google it. smile

Jizzomelette Sat 13-Aug-16 00:18:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

excessiveparanoidNNchanger Sat 13-Aug-16 00:19:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:21:43

I never let my Son's stay on longer than 5 mins at most. All my friends have said they've had the same problem so it's nothing personal.

I understand when there's a queue. I'm not talking about very busy parks where that's necessary. I mean when it's not massively busy and the child would get a go anyway.

I distract my Son's and then as soon as the swing is free go over to it. I've never once found it necessary to stand in people's personal space and intimidate them into giving the swing up! It just isn't necessary. Especially if they stand there as soon as you put your child in.

I'd always considered the polite thing was to move onto another piece of equipment until it was free.

I use the gym almost every day. I can only imagine if I started standing at the treadmill waiting for the next person to get off. I would rightly be told to move onto something else until it's free.

Maybe I'm just overly polite, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't annoy me. Maybe I just need to learn not to be bothered by them standing there.

HobnailsandTaffeta Sat 13-Aug-16 00:23:00

Yep YABU if we go to the Central Park and dont wait by the swings by the time someone is getting off then someone else will be getting on and DCs won't get a go. It's queuing!

And I would say repeatedly to little DC "you'll go after that little one it won't be long" so that she will wait patiently. It's nothing to do with you or expecting you off!

angryangryyoungwoman Sat 13-Aug-16 00:23:58

They are teaching their children to take turns. Comparing it to adults in a gym is not the same thing really..

honeysucklejasmine Sat 13-Aug-16 00:24:01

Playground etiquette like these makes me just want to get my own swing, slide etc so I don't have to worry about this.

Someone standing waiting would make me very uncomfortable. I would probably offer to wave them over when we're done, but then I guess someone else would queue and it would get messy... argh. Nightmare.

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:24:13

I'm a Father, not a Mother.

I don't think 5 mins could ever be considered too long. It's just right I feel.

Of course I teach them to share. They're well behaved boys.

I just would never stand there waiting for someone to get off equipment that's all. It's something I would never do.

NoMudNoLotus Sat 13-Aug-16 00:24:55

It's called a queue . Yabu.

HobnailsandTaffeta Sat 13-Aug-16 00:25:00

Today I was in a large, fairly busy park

So busy then.

Haggisfish Sat 13-Aug-16 00:25:31

Yabu. It's a queue. It's in peppa pig and everything.

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:27:10

Teaching your children to take turns has no relation to whether or not it's rude to stand waiting for someone to get off equipment.

In fact, I always tell my Son's they need to let the child play on it in peace and run over once they've finished. If I stood there waiting for someone to finish with them next to me, I feel that would make them more impatient than the way I currently do it.

Luckily we do have play equipment in the garden. I do find park etiquette a mind field some days!

Haggisfish Sat 13-Aug-16 00:30:17

But what if someone else stood beside swing and got to it before your child?

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:30:25

But I do feel it's rude to queue by a swing in a park that's only moderately busy! Just play on something else and let people swing in peace. No one wants someone stood still waiting for them to finish!

There's other ways to teach Children to share/take turns etc.

I mean, I am willing to be corrected here. But, I can honestly say I would feel really bad queuing in this way. I would feel like I was making the person uncomfortable. I would never do it.

I have found almost all parents don't. It's just a few.

Lewwat Sat 13-Aug-16 00:31:29

Yanbu! Really not understanding the reply's you are getting!

BurningBridges Sat 13-Aug-16 00:31:32

When mine were small I would stand a short distance back and wait, but not right on top of anyone and I know exactly what you mean OP, its like they are in your face wanting your child to GET OFF NOW!!

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:32:08

But what if someone else stood beside swing and got to it before your child?

Then they get there first. My Son's go back to play with something else. It's never been a issue. They've always managed to get to use them eventually.

Wondermoomin Sat 13-Aug-16 00:32:46

Yabu of course it's not rude to stand and wait your turn. If you don't do that, then your child might never get their turn if there's a constant stream of kids rushing to the equipment whenever it becomes free. It's a queue, and it's the fairest way.

eyebrowsonfleek Sat 13-Aug-16 00:34:03

Yanbu - It's very passive aggressive to give a child The Look and be a loud parent about the fact that the equipment that your child wants to use isn't available. Children have a finite time at the park and don't want to waste it queuing (the slide is the exception as the wait time is normally pretty short)

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:35:59

I don't think I've made myself clear and I apologise if that's the case.

I am not talking about a polite queue or people standing back and waiting their turn while also being friendly and/or occupying themself with something else.

I'm talking about parents who get in your personal space waiting for you to get off. Often making comments such as ' we will get on when this boy is off' or 'in a minute the swing will be free and you can go on'. Often when I've only just put one of them on!

There's a difference between being polite and friendly, standing back and keeping an eye on the swings and standing right next to someone. I do think when a parent does that they are trying to make parent feel uncomfortable so they take their child off quicker.

All a bit unneccessary for a swing!

Jizzomelette Sat 13-Aug-16 00:36:03

MadamDeathstare Sat 13-Aug-16 00:36:59

Qedwai Sat 13-Aug-16 00:38:48

People seem to have missed the part where I said

'Standing nearby is fine but right next to the person is rude'.

There's a thing called personal space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now