Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not know how to reconnect with DD

(3 Posts)
Rollonbedtime7pm Fri 12-Aug-16 22:49:42

I have 3 DC - DS who is 6, DD1 is 3 (nearly 4) and DD2 is 3 months.

DD1 has firmly had her nose put out of joint by the arrival of her sister. She loves her immensely but her behaviour is awful! I know she is attention seeking but her constant poking, prodding and yelling at the baby is wearing me down and I feel like DD1 feels very alone as all I seem to do is tell her off sad

I try my hardest to praise her when she is being kind and gentle but it feels like there is a bit of a gulf between us and I don't know how to bridge it!

Am I totally useless for not knowing how to start to deal with this? My 'let's be positive and be friends today' attitude never seems to last past breakfast!

MartinaMartini Fri 12-Aug-16 22:55:43

I don't have any magic words of wisdom but just sharing some empathy. My youngest (4) was very very put out when my youngest arrived a few months ago, despite being super excited while I was pregnant, and was very heavy handed/ proddy/ even asked to give the baby back as we don't need it! I think he just found baby boring and wanted one that crawls or does something other than need my attention. Haven't got any advice other than a few quality days with my parents seemed to help as he got that 1:1 time that I could only give in short bursts. Things are much better now a few months on, think he'll be in his element once baby is crawling/ in a walker and he's got over losing his baby status in the family.

Sorry can't really help...just sharing your pain! X

Missgraeme Fri 12-Aug-16 23:08:41

U need to give her proper big sister jobs so she can grasp that being the oldest is more important than being a baby! Do something together when baby is asleep- so baby won't spoil the game! Let her choose daily outfit for baby /blanket /coat etc because she is big enough to choose! Let her stay up after the baby has gone to bed - even ten mins because she is older!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now