Baby name sequence

(46 Posts)
MermaidTears Thu 11-Aug-16 12:02:24

I met for a coffee earlier at soft play with a couple of friends, one is pregnant and trying to find a name that 'goes' with her D's name. We was talking about how we had all come up with our DC name and where the inspiration came from etc....friend 1 has four daughters. I have never ever noticed before but she told me that she gave them names in order so that the first letters of each name spelt a word. Just by luck, she had four daughters in a row. 2&3 were twins. There initials spell love...which df has tattooed on her wrist. Which I have seen but just never asked why, thought love was just self explanatory haha. Anyway I thought it was lovely. Pregnant friend was sniggering and laughing once our friend had left, being a real bitch, she said to me, what fucking idiot does that? Called her a hippy etc. Just wondering what others opinions are? I just can't help but think how lovely thay was and I would do something similar myself!

Mummaaaaaah Thu 11-Aug-16 12:07:04

I think that's quite sweet, and quite clever. but even if I didn't it wouldn't be something to bitch about. your other friend sounds a bit off!?

LikeDylanInTheMovies Thu 11-Aug-16 12:08:49

Have I got this right

1st daughter (say) Lauren
2nd daughter Olivia
3rd daughter. Violet
4th daughter. Elizabeth

Seems a bit daft to me as it must limit the choice of names as it has to start with a certain letter. But each to the own.

MrsJoeyMaynard Thu 11-Aug-16 12:09:03

I think it's a bit odd, but it's really mean to make fun of someone for doing this.

CinderellaFant Thu 11-Aug-16 12:09:56

I think it's nice! I guess

Lacey
Olivia
Violet
Evie

MermaidTears Thu 11-Aug-16 12:10:17

Shes more of a friend through our DC school. She has some lovely ways about her but she often slags off my other friend disguised in a joking way....like if she's late friend 2 will say....oh where's friend 1... collecting eggs from her farm/making a Dreamcatcher etc I think she may be jealous of her lifestyle. But anyway I think it's a lovely idea, and definitely smaller tattoo than all four names wink

myownprivateidaho Thu 11-Aug-16 12:12:19

I think it's lovely! Your pregnant friend is a total bitch.

MermaidTears Thu 11-Aug-16 12:12:46

I don't think she originally set out to do so, then had one daughter names picked which was obviously L, then got pregnant again and by coincidence the girls name she picked was a very popular O name. Found out it was twin at the scan and decided to go with the idea, in the thought that she may well have dd4 or a ds and give him an E name one day. And she liked the names anyway so no harm done if she didn't!

toadgirl Thu 11-Aug-16 12:12:56

I just can't help but think how lovely that was and I would do something similar myself!

Tell mean friend that and see what she says smile

Sounds like you have more in common with the "hippy" friend. She certainly sounds like a nicer person.

WaitrosePigeon Thu 11-Aug-16 12:14:11

I think it's really sweet, actually.

MermaidTears Thu 11-Aug-16 12:14:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DramaAlpaca Thu 11-Aug-16 12:15:56

I think it's a really sweet thing to do.

myownprivateidaho Thu 11-Aug-16 12:16:02

I like her even more now I've heard the names.

DramaAlpaca Thu 11-Aug-16 12:17:50

I don't think you should've posted the names on here though, even if the mother isn't on MN.

wigglesrock Thu 11-Aug-16 12:19:22

I'm usually the most eye rollery person when it comes to tweeness grin but I think it's lovely. I mean obviously if you like names that begin with the appropriate letters it's going to work better, I wouldn't do it just for the sake of it but yes it's sweet and not overly nauseating.

I've each of my three kids initial on discs on a necklace, unfortunately it looks like I'm a huge fan of a biker gang tv series blush.

MermaidTears Thu 11-Aug-16 12:19:27

I did say to her I thought it was lovely and actually quite clever. Added with 'you are such a bitch sometimes ' which a half hearted laugh....she knew I wasn't impressed. I usually say something like 'now now let's all be Nice' in a mock teacher kind of way, to let her know I don't want to sit and listen to my friend be slated. Hippy friend would probably actually feel complimented at being called a hippy, bless her! She reminds me slightly of Phoebe from friends, in own wistful land half the time grin

crje Thu 11-Aug-16 12:20:10

Not sure what's make of it but the mean friend does sound very bitchy.
Which can be fine but it's a bit off to bitch about a friend.
I think you should stand up for hippy friend if it happens again.

cherryplumbanana Thu 11-Aug-16 12:20:35

I know quite a few people whose initials were chosen to make a word.

Completely made-up example, obviously can't give you a real one
Will Smith, would be Will Arthur Sasha Pedro Smith
WASPS

Can't see the harm in the way your friend chose her names, pregnant friend sounds awful.

NeedACleverNN Thu 11-Aug-16 12:21:33

That's really clever

My two are just MC..... Which I'm kinda worried about cos dh used to go by MC Smudge in school hmm

LikeDylanInTheMovies Thu 11-Aug-16 12:21:35

Whoah op regardless of her being Mumsnetter or not are you sure she won't mind their names being bandied about on here? It is quite identifying as I can't imagine many families with that precise combination of names. I included names in my post as an example as I wasn't quite sure what you meant, not because I wanted to know.

Also, she may well know people who are Mumsnetters and will tell them " x friend was talking about you on AIBU and says friend y was mocking your choice of names."

MermaidTears Thu 11-Aug-16 12:22:06

I love it, especially how the twins names rhyme. Drama you are right, how do I remove it? They are just beautiful names though!

DoinItFine Thu 11-Aug-16 12:23:12

Those names are really identifiable as a sibling set.

You should probably have that post deleted.

I think her names are lovely and the sequence is sweet.

DramaAlpaca Thu 11-Aug-16 12:24:30

OP report your post with the names to MN and ask them to edit it for you.

AlpacaPicnic Thu 11-Aug-16 12:25:19

I think that was a lovely pattern to follow... a bit sweeter than naming a child so their initials spell out Everton or whatever.

Although it did remind me of that thread in BabyNames where someone needed a boys name with certain letters in certain places so it would fit in with Dads crossword puzzle tattoo. Wasn't the name also a brand of foreign crisps or something? <dredges memory>

MermaidTears Thu 11-Aug-16 12:28:30

I have reported it so it should be gone soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now