Advanced search

To ask a CTC question?

(6 Posts)
gardenangels Wed 10-Aug-16 00:20:33

Turns out I have been underpaid in the 2015-2016 tax year. The amount is under 5k. However the underpayment will be repaid and taxed in the 2016-2017 tax year. P60 has already been issued. Which tax year should I put this amount in for CTC?

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Aug-16 00:37:03

CTC go on your earnings and you earned that money in 2015-2016 period.

If you didn't know that you'd been Underpaid, then you haven't made a false declaration.

You should still inform them, just to cover yourself. Do you claim HB? It might make a difference.

gardenangels Wed 10-Aug-16 00:53:22

Don't claim HB. Is there a rule about them ignoring the first 5 k over your estimate?

My P60 is 1k under my estimated but this amount makes my 2015-2016 income 4k above my estimate. Only just found out about underpayment...

botanically Wed 10-Aug-16 01:09:53

You would declare it for the 16-17 tax year - that's the year it's being paid and taxed in (at least that's what I'd have advised you when I worked there).

botanically Wed 10-Aug-16 01:16:23

To elaborate HMRC define employment income as '...any earnings from an office or employment received in the tax year...'

You haven't received this money in 15-16. But you'll receive it in 16-17.

RubbleBubble00 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:21:54

Guessing it will appear as part wage on the 2016-2017 p60? If so include in 2016-2017 wage calculation and phone to tell them wage increase for this year. Don't tell them about overpay or anything as u will just confuse them, just think.of it as 5k wage increase for this yr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now