Talk

Advanced search

To ask if this could be shingles?

(18 Posts)
Crisscrosscranky Tue 09-Aug-16 23:37:34

Had an itchy rash on my for for a couple days. It's redder than picture shows (flash) with lots of little bumps. Never reacted this way to a bite before but do occasionally get eczema. I've googled and now worried I've infected everyone I've come across over last two days with chicken pox confused.

Other than the itchy rash I've felt fine apart from a splitting headache last night that I put down to dehydration.

acatcalledjohn Tue 09-Aug-16 23:52:45

Maybe athletes foot (I'm guessing that's your foot)? I currently have a case between my toes. Which was red, scaly and bumpy, and ducking itchy.

Put on clean socks and shoes and check with a local pharmacist. If athletes foot, canesten cream is AMAZING!

Normally with shingles you'll see patches form a 'belt' (in a connect-the-dots sort of way) on one side of your body.

acatcalledjohn Tue 09-Aug-16 23:54:43

Oh, and shingles tend to be sore as its nerve endings that are affected. Have attached a pic of my athlete's foot rash.

Fourarmsv2 Wed 10-Aug-16 00:00:44

It looks like it could be dyshidrotic eczema.

www.aad.org/public/diseases/eczema/dyshidrotic-eczema

Crisscrosscranky Wed 10-Aug-16 00:05:57

blush I'm such a hypochondriac. I don't think it's athlete's foot- it's not peely/weepy if you know what I mean. I think it probably is infected eczema or some kind of sweat rash ( that probably won't make my foot fall off )

ReallyTired Wed 10-Aug-16 00:13:06

Shingles is incredibly painful. What is unusual about shingles is that it only affects one side of the body.

When I had it I started with awful back pain and then the pain spread to my goin. I had a slight fever. The rash appeared a couple of days after the pain.
I had a line of spots. I was in do much pain I considered going to urgent care at 5am. (I didn't but I did grovel for an emergency gp appointment.)

I suggest the op goes to the doctor. If it's shingles then you need antiviral medication.

ayeokthen Wed 10-Aug-16 00:17:08

ReallyTired sums it up, only on one side of the body, agonisingly painful, completely draining. I was fit for nowt for 5 days when I had them, my mum and dad had to take DS because I literally couldn't do anything.

Icallbullshit3 Wed 10-Aug-16 00:21:41

I think if it were shingles you would have a larger rash area. Also the sores would be open (to begin with anyway) before scanning over. Only way to know is a trip to a Gp.

Icallbullshit3 Wed 10-Aug-16 00:24:32

Splitting headache you say? I had that along with a fever when I had hand food and mouth... But my bumps looked more like spots. Hmm.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Wed 10-Aug-16 05:37:25

Pretty sure not shingles.
Shingles is an inflamation of a nerve... It causes a rash on the skin where the nerve ends. (Hence it only affects one side of the body.) If it was shingles there would be other patches.

Shingles is infectious when the rash oozez a clear liquid that is full of the virus...

1weekdown5togo Wed 10-Aug-16 06:08:48

Doesn't look like shingles to me. Mine was on my eye (common) and trunk on one side of the body only. Different spots to yours.

waitingforsomething Wed 10-Aug-16 06:21:46

When I had shingles I felt awful for a couple of days before (fever and tingling pain in my mouth and throat which I thought was tonsilitis). This then broke out in blisters on one side of my mouth and throat. It was seriously painful. I expect you would feel more pain and have more rash/blisters. Go to the doctor anyway as if it is the quicker you start antivirals the better.

Hippychickster Wed 10-Aug-16 06:33:36

Also don't think it's shingles. If you had shingles you'd be in a lot of pain with neuralgia and you'd feel dreadful. I've had it more than once on my back and it's like a band of pain round one side of your body. The sores are like cold sores. Hope yours clears up.

scaryteacher Wed 10-Aug-16 06:37:17

I had shingles in January. I only had one small line of the rash, but felt foul. Go to the doctor. I thought I'd been bitten by something!

ghostyslovesheep Wed 10-Aug-16 07:22:49

Looks a bit like Pompholyx - itchy as hell x

Fourarmsv2 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:35:04

DE has many names, including:

Cheiropompholyx (affects the hands)
Dyshidrosis
Dyshidrotic dermatitis
Foot-and-hand eczema
Pedopompholyx (affects the feet)
Pompholyx
Vesicular eczema
Vesicular palmoplantar eczema

TrickyD Wed 10-Aug-16 08:10:16

Shingles certainly does not always appear as a 'belt', so ignore everyone telling you that you can't have shingles.

I had a patch on my stomach, about 2" X 2" which looked very similar to yours, OP. I showed my GP, saying I thought had an infected mosquito bite which was disproportionally painful. He took one look and said "it's shingles" .

Rather than ask random unqualified strangers for a diagnosis, you would do better to get professional advice.

ReallyTired Wed 10-Aug-16 11:04:57

Even if it isn't shingles it might be something else nasty. A GP can tell the op if there is any treatment for the rash. I hope the op feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now