Talk

Advanced search

To find this odd

(6 Posts)
Summernights56 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:56:11

Dd age 20 had an appointment with cmht due to taking multiple overdoses and mood swings. The person doing the assessment said she might have bpd as she fit some of the criteria but won't dignose her as he said the brain is still developing to 25 so it might just be a temporary thing for her. I think this should be fully investigated so dd gets the right help.

flanjabelle Tue 09-Aug-16 21:04:25

I had the same situation.

To be honest, it isnt a great thing to be labelled with bpd. She won't get less help without a firm diagnosis, they will treat due to the symptoms of mental illness. Personality disorders are not treated the same as other mental illnesses in the NHS. There is a stigma and a lack of understanding from many professionals unfortunately.

I was diagnosed at 22 even though my symptoms started in my late teens.

I would forget about the diagnosis, but push for psychotherapy and or dbt. These have the best chance of working for bpd.

flanjabelle Tue 09-Aug-16 21:05:07

Also the person who assessed her, we're they a nurse? Nurses will not diagnose. It needs to be a doctor.

VoldysGoneMouldy Tue 09-Aug-16 21:07:35

Get a second opinion - most mental health teams will diagnose it from 18, just not before.

Summernights56 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:41:04

He wasn't a nurse. They was a cpn present but she wasn't doing to assessment.

Summernights56 Tue 09-Aug-16 23:48:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now