Talk

Advanced search

To think there must be an easy way to long term weight loss?

(33 Posts)
Babyzoo Tue 09-Aug-16 14:19:56

I'm so frustrated with myself, all my adult life my weight has fluctuated between 9 stone and 11 stone.

I'm 5"5 and currently 10.5 stone. I need to lose a stone to be a weight I'm happy with. It shouldn't be too difficult, I've done it several times, but I never keep it off and always go back up to 10 stone.

My trouble is I just love all the bad things too much and I'm not a big fan off cooking and exercise. I'm kind of restricted in what I can do because I've got two young dc so I'm mostly limited to exercise that I can do with them in tow. Not much of an excuse as I can still get out walking.

But how do you teach yourself to change long term? I'm annoyed with myself because I put the effort in so many times I've got down to 9 stone or less but it creeps back up.

macromolecule Tue 09-Aug-16 14:39:13

I think if there was an easy way none of us would be overweight, sadly. It's like searching for the holy grail.

specialsubject Tue 09-Aug-16 14:45:49

No food is bad. Moving is exercise. Plenty of quick cheap nutritious recipes out there.

Is that weight realistic?

TheSparrowhawk Tue 09-Aug-16 14:47:59

Is there a reason you want to be 9 stone? It sounds like your body is happy around 10 stone so it would seem to make sense to cut out two treats a week and keep everything else, add two healthy things to your diet and make sure you exercise for half an hour three times a week (you can run up and down the stairs). Build that up over time and you'll be laughing.

Babyzoo Tue 09-Aug-16 15:04:10

I'd like to be 9.5 stone because I think I'd look better also at 10 stone I hardly do any exercise and eat way too much junk so it's probably not my healthy weight.

I suppose as well as being slimmer I want to be healthier and fitter.

For example I've been getting out walking with the dc for the past week, walking to places rather than driving, but it feels like a chore rather than enjoyment.

I'm probably in really lazy bad habits and I want to motivate myself to get exercising to set a good example to the dc.

Change one thing at a time, for at least a week, before adding another thing. Do some physical activity, walking counts but do it as much as possible (or try c25k). Like yourself how you are NOW and the changes will be easier to make.

TheSparrowhawk Tue 09-Aug-16 15:10:39

My own opinion is that focusing on a particular weight is a really bad idea because your weight is bound to go up and down and it can be very demotivating. It makes far more sense to aim for practical steps that may or may not affect your weight but that will definitely make you fitter and healthier.

Crunchymum Tue 09-Aug-16 15:12:25

It's got to be a lifestyle change and not a quick fix.

Whatever you do in order to shift a stone is kind of what you need to be doing (not as strictly of course) to maintain.

For me 1300 cals per day and I will lose, 1800 cals per day and I maintain BUT I make sure those extra calories come from "good" healthy food.

Crunchymum Tue 09-Aug-16 15:14:16

I caveat my above comment to say it does actually depend on how you lose the stone to begin with?

Starvation, cutting out complete food groups, fad diets etc are not lifestyle changes nor are they sustainable.... Cutting out refined sugar and alcohol and eating 3 meals a day is a lifestyle change and is sustainable!!!

fitzbilly Tue 09-Aug-16 15:14:30

I think it's about adopting lifestyle choices that become habit and routine, for example always only eating a salad and protein for lunch, always walking anywhere less than 2 miles away, never eating the biscuits in the staff room, and exercising at least three times a week whatever happens.

For example, I run. Between four and five times a week. I started four years ago, built it up, and now it is a regular part of my week, unless I am bedridden, even on holiday, even when visiting friends for the weekend, even when pregnant. It is just what I do. By making myself do it regardless had become habit, and very easy to fit in. You could go running in the evening example when the kids are in bed.

almostthirty Tue 09-Aug-16 15:15:57

Try the Paul mckenna I can make you thin app. It really helped me think differently about food and has helped me sustain my weight loss.

YouTheCat Tue 09-Aug-16 15:20:40

2 years ago I lost 3 stones. I've not put the weight back on because I cut down portion sizes and do plenty of exercise. I'll add extra veg instead of piling on the potatoes.

I don't deny myself anything and I don't count calories. But I do try to make reasonably healthy choices most of the time and if I fancy a biscuit, I'll have one rather than 2 or 3 or half a packet .

I don't do diets and I never go for the 'low fat' options because they are packed with sugar and crap.

I'm 46 and middle-aged spread has taken its toll.

Good luck.

Babyzoo Tue 09-Aug-16 15:21:23

Yes I think it's less about an actual weight and more just wanting to be fitter and healthier.

When I've lost weight before I've never done faddy diets, I've restricted calories a bit only by cutting down on junk food like cake and takeaways and I've exercised. But my default is sitting on my bum eating cake which is what I need to change.

TheSparrowhawk Tue 09-Aug-16 15:22:46

You need to plan in time to exercise. Do you have a partner? Can they help?

CatchIt Tue 09-Aug-16 15:22:53

It's shit isn't it! I ballooned after dd and spent a year losing the weight.

I was so much better with ds but I still managed to put on 3!

I hate exercise but really need to shift it. I'm breast feeding so think it will be tricky sad

ErrolTheDragon Tue 09-Aug-16 15:22:57

5:2 is easy once you get used to it - suits me very well. There's a great MN support board if you want to investigate it.

Babyzoo Tue 09-Aug-16 15:24:18

I love the idea of walking anywhere that's less than two miles that's a great start.

I used to love walking but I've become so unfit it's not as enjoyable.

annielostit Tue 09-Aug-16 15:24:41

As others have said, it's a lifestyle change.
You need to know how many calories you should have daily. I use my fitness pal (mfp). Then track everything you eat or drink for a week that's not water. You can then see what's rubbish & what's nourishing.
You don't need to starve but look at the long term goal. Exercise is on 20% of weight loss.add in a walk with the little ones,r in round the park, throw in some weights, check google for basic stuff.

Babyzoo Tue 09-Aug-16 15:30:36

Yes I've got dh but he does work long and sometimes unpredictable hours.

It's not much excuse though because the swimming pool is open until 9 but I guess come 8pm I just want to sit down with some chocolate

I really want to do exercise as a family too because the dc love being outdoors. It's making myself go out for those walks and bike rides.

LivingOnTheDancefloor Tue 09-Aug-16 15:49:10

A bit of unconventional advice, well not really advice, just what works for me:
I eat what i want when I want, meaning I can have a sandwich mid morning if I feel like it, however I don't top it up with the "usual" meals if I am not genuinely hungry (breakfast, lunch, dinner). In other words, if I am not hungry at lunchtime I am not going to eat just out of habit. I found that it balances out. Some days I will have a huge lunch, other days almost nothing.

Also, don't eat while doing something else. If I eat biscuits in front of the TV I will easily eat the whole pack, whereas if I take two biscuits out of the box and eat those I don't feel the need to eat more.

fitzbilly Tue 09-Aug-16 15:51:45

You could do park run with the whole family? It's every Saturday morning, is free, and is good fun.

We do that as a family, it's just a default thing we do on Saturday morning before anything else. Hundreds people attend my luck one.

roofio87 Tue 09-Aug-16 16:00:45

I work out at home most days, I do fitness blender routines, they are all free on YouTube and start pretty easy. I really rate them. I have a 2 year old and just plonk him in front of the TV with a snack for half an hour and exercise at the other end of the room. I can't afford or easily exercise any other way so I've made it work.

IdStillRatherBeKnitting Tue 09-Aug-16 16:17:21

Am 5'7", and found myself 12 stone after dc4, feb 2015. Here's what I've done...

Got a garmin watch, which counts steps reliably (like fitbit things). Then I did steps. Not even walking, just on the spot. Walked about as normal all day, and then sort of jog on the spot until it reached 10K before bed. I now sort of jog on a trampette infront of the telly once the house is quiet, always making sure it's over 10K before midnight.

I also did mfp at first, to stop the snacks. I am now 9st 11lb, and eat about 1800cals a day (am guessing). Plus I now have a road bike and try to do 50+ miles a week, but doing the steps got me started.

almostthirty Tue 09-Aug-16 16:22:27

Also I've got a trailer that attaches to my bike to I can cycle and take both dc with me. It's hard work but the dc love it.

Colourfulpast1975 Tue 09-Aug-16 16:28:20

I agree with the poster who said change one thing at the time. Up till 10 months ago I was really overweight. I was drinking too much booze, too much of everything as well...so 1rst I have joined an exercise group and took on running...later on I became teetotal (can't do moderation), following stopping wine I have joined slimming world..I have lost almost 2 stones so far without struggling too much...next on my list to change is my sugar addiction ! You can lose weight as long as you take your time and don't put unrealistic goals !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now