Talk

Advanced search

Parents & holidays

(6 Posts)
SexNamesRFab Tue 09-Aug-16 10:32:32

We are going away next week for a fortnight - me, DH, DD8 and DS6 in a 2 bed static caravan. DM and DF are also holidaying about 5hrs drive from us. DM said they would come and stay with us on the pull out sofa in the living area for 2 nights (note said, not asked). All dandy, except DF doesn't want to stay on a sofa bed (bad back)or share a loo (explosive poos).

They've been arguing about it for weeks, both calling me separately to complain about the unreasonableness of the other. It was stressing me out so much that on Sunday I sent them details of very nice, reasonable B&Bs near us. DF happy. I just asked DM if she's looked at them, she said no as DF had shut up about it. I said TBH I'd prefer it if you booked a hotel (didn't even get into explaining why). She said fine we won't come then. The fallout from this is going to be massive. WIBU?

Mendeleyev Tue 09-Aug-16 10:45:06

No you weren't. A caravan with just 4 of us I find bad enough. There is no way I would want extras on the couch. I think a B&B is a great idea. Anyway you can stop there while your parents stop in the caravan with the kids? 😀

SexNamesRFab Tue 09-Aug-16 11:45:36

I suggested that Mendel, it didn't go down too well wink

Their arguing was starting to make me feel stressed out about going on my own holiday. I really didn't mind them coming, and even offered to upgrade to a 3 bedroom when DM first suggested it. What I can't cope with is being made to be a part of their domestic dispute. I had years of that as a teenager. Also, I didn't think it was fair on DH.

ADishBestEatenCold Tue 09-Aug-16 11:51:29

Does the site you are on do short breaks? Would it be possible for your parents to rent a separate caravan on the same site for just two or three nights?

That way they would be part of your holiday (much more so that booking B&B nearby and driving back and forth), but have their own space.

SexNamesRFab Tue 09-Aug-16 12:13:36

No it doesn't. I told DF that DM could stay with us and he could stay at the B&B, or we'd drive them back. I didn't get a chance to suggest this to DM and she probably won't talk to DF about it. It's all the sulking that I can't stand, with each other and now with me.

5Foot5 Tue 09-Aug-16 13:04:29

What I can't cope with is being made to be a part of their domestic dispute. I had years of that as a teenager.

Well tell them that for goodness sake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now