Talk

Advanced search

To be really nervous!!

(13 Posts)
facepalming Tue 09-Aug-16 08:45:17

We are due to complete today on our house sale / purchase.

I'm got the movers in packing, DH and MIL have taken the kids for breakfast so they don't see all the fuss and I'm sat here feeling like a spare part!

I know lots can go wrong with house purchases / sales up until exchange but aibu to be anxious about something going wrong with completion?!

KatyN Tue 09-Aug-16 08:54:25

It's hard for something to go wrong once you have exchanged. A lot of money comes your way if it does. But still it can be hugely stressful.
Good luck! Kc

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 09-Aug-16 08:59:02

It'll be fine smile realistically worst case scenario is a little bit of delay between you moving out of the old and into the new.

Technically either party could fail to complete but they'd then only have ten days to comply or lose their deposit - I've never seen this happen yet in the resi department at our firm (happens in commercial though!)

facepalming Tue 09-Aug-16 09:06:40

thank you both! I think all this sitting around is playing with my mind!! no idea where to put myself while these awesome guys pack up for us!!

DesolateWaist Tue 09-Aug-16 09:09:37

Have you got the movers doing the packing? If I ever move again I'm having that. That sounds like the most luxurious thing.

facepalming Tue 09-Aug-16 09:14:11

I have Desolate! It's great but feels weird not to help (not allowed because of insurance) so I'm just wandering around a bit lost!!

davos Tue 09-Aug-16 09:19:49

Can in suggest you make sure the other people have actually moved out?

It happened to us and on a thread here lots of people said the same.

We turned up to move in and they were still packing and cleaning. They should have been gone 2 days before.

I was working in the morning and had to go get our new mattress. By the time I got there it was 3pm and dh had started just carrying our stuff in while the woman flapped saying she didn't know they should have been gone.

And they left their cat angry

facepalming Tue 09-Aug-16 09:38:43

OMG Davos I don't know what's worse! that they didn't know they should have been gone or that they left their cat?!!

Our Sellers also have a cat so I will check that first!!

We are stopping in a hotel tonight and moving in tomotrow. I have cleaners coming to the new place this afternoon so I will make sure that they have all gone!!

davos Tue 09-Aug-16 09:42:09

I know. It was years ago now so it seems funny.

At the time it wasn't, especially as dh is really allergic to cats. Our solicitor called theirs and told them to come get the cat or it would have to go to Shelter. We couldn't keep it.

Glad you will be able to make sure they are definitely gone!

It's the one think I confirm over and over now when we move grin

facepalming Tue 09-Aug-16 09:58:14

oh no what a nightmare that must have been for you! and for their poor cat.

Definitely worth confirming

Liiinoo Tue 09-Aug-16 10:12:15

To be honest I think it would be odd if you weren't nervous. Quite apart from the practical things that COULD go wrong, but actually _very seldom do go wrong_, I think it is easy to overlook the psychological impact of moving house.

In the UK (and other places too of course), rightly or wrongly, our home is a vital part of our identity and security. We judge ourselves and others by where we they live. (We currently live in a naice detached house and I still can't quite believe that the little girl who used to live in a council flat with an outside loo now lives here). The emotional and social significance of where we call home should not be underestimated

So moving house means walking out of one identity and security into another. This is a massive life change and all change brings a measure of trepidation and uncertainty and so makes us anxious.

Try not to worry too much. Later tonight you will go to bed in your new home and start to put down roots there.

Virtual flowers and wine to welcome you to your new home.

A

facepalming Tue 09-Aug-16 13:09:20

Thank you liino! completEd on our sale - biting my nails on our purchase!!

hellsbellsmelons Tue 09-Aug-16 13:36:19

Exciting stuff.
It will be fine fingers crossed
Happy moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now