Talk

Advanced search

to think I have a normal 3 year old?

(41 Posts)
5minutestobed Mon 08-Aug-16 21:06:26

DH seems to think Ds is an unruly brat, I think he's a normal 3 year old.
Examples -

He wanders off/ahead when we are out/doesn't want to hold hands.

He asks for toys if we are looking at them in the shop (he doesn't mind if I say no though)

He can be whiny/demanding when tired/hungry/bored.

Likes things done a certain way/gets upset if say he can't fix a toy or if something he is playing with isn't working( again level of upset depends on tiredness/hunger)

He is loud and noisy.

He is also lovely, kind and gentle with his baby brother, polite, imaginative and happy.
Please tell me your three year olds are like this too and my DS is not a demon child like my DH seems to think?

brittabot Mon 08-Aug-16 21:08:39

Sounds normal to me. Is he ever around other three year olds?

allypally1983 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:09:23

Sounds perfectly normal to me. My dd was just the same

Noodle84 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:13:19

My DH just asked if I was describing our son who's 3.5! Sounds totally normal to us!

PansOnFire Mon 08-Aug-16 21:13:54

Sounds like a typical 3 year old to me, this is what my 3 year old is like. He loves to get his own way all and argues like a stubborn teenager.

My DH used to think his behaviour wasn't as it should be but then I made him spend more time with our friends' children of similar ages. He soon realised that most young children have the same tendencies.

Does your DH spend much time around other children? Does he see DS at the same times each day ie. when he is over tired or excited etc? The time of day makes a massive difference in the way my DS behaves.

YANBU

MrsJoeyMaynard Mon 08-Aug-16 21:14:35

Sounds normal.

MoonlightMedicine Mon 08-Aug-16 21:15:11

He sounds like a perfect 3 year old

Voddy4 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:16:08

Are you me?! You have honestly just described my 3 year old ds! Glad to hear it's normal

MySecondName Mon 08-Aug-16 21:16:46

Sounds like my just turned 4 year old. And like his 2 older brothers at the same age.

Comedyusername Mon 08-Aug-16 21:18:58

Yup, sounds like my boy

NapQueen Mon 08-Aug-16 21:20:10

Entirely normal

Your dh clearly is an impatient parent.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Mon 08-Aug-16 21:21:11

My 3yo is identical.

Purplepixiedust Mon 08-Aug-16 21:22:44

Sound a lot like my DS when he was 3.

yummycake123 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:23:06

Sounds exactly like my 3yo...

MrPony Mon 08-Aug-16 21:25:09

He would have hated my eldest! He's still like that now at 6.

3 is a demanding age. They can communicate in full sentences and can run as fast as their little legs will allow!

5minutestobed Mon 08-Aug-16 21:26:33

Thank you for all the replies!
No my DH doesn't really know any other 3year olds. and he is being a short tempered bugger today
I am a SAHM so by suggesting DS is a spoilt brat I took that to be a dig at my parenting. I'm glad DS seems to be a normal 3year old! (they do grow out of this stuff though at some point right?!)

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Aug-16 21:29:55

Sounds normal to me.

Although hand holding was never optional.

YokoUhOh Mon 08-Aug-16 21:31:28

Yes, you've just described 3.8yo DS1. He's actually a lot worse on holiday: he can't cope with a lack of routine. But the flip side is that he's creative, imaginative and loves his baby brother.

PIL can't cope with him at all, because they've forgotten what 3yo boys are like hmm

Reassure your DH that 3 year olds are essentially completely batshit, but they'll grow out of it at some stage.

YokoUhOh Mon 08-Aug-16 21:32:24

(Agree with worra that we don't leave the house of he won't hold my hand, though)

ipswichwitch Mon 08-Aug-16 21:33:10

Of course he's not a demon child. Totally normal. My almost 3yo is the same, with additional boisterousness, screeching , biting and hitting hmm, and his behaviour is totally normal too.

Planty18 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:34:45

Totally normal!

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:35:23

Sounds like my 4yo

Notimefortossers Mon 08-Aug-16 21:44:23

My DH also suggests at points that our kids are getting 'out of control' I too take it to be a dig at my parenting which it absolutely is. Our kids are fab. They're just 7 and 5 that's all. I tell him this and that he really should pack it in because if he carries on and there's ever any sign that it's impacting on their self esteem he'll be out on his ear

5minutestobed Mon 08-Aug-16 21:52:09

Hand holding on busy roads and crossing roads is not optional and he is ok with that, he's not keen on holding hands in shops/in the park etc which I am ok with if he walks beside me.

EweAreHere Mon 08-Aug-16 22:02:03

Sounds like DH needs a parenting course or a visit to someplace like Sure Start. They'll set him straight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now