Talk

Advanced search

Biting the medals

(18 Posts)
Pettywoman Sun 07-Aug-16 22:03:35

When the athletes bite the medals for a photo it gives me the rage. It not only makes me cringe because it looks all metallic and teethy but also why? It's so pointless. Not funny ever.

I know once upon a time you'd bite a coin to test it was real gold or something but these aren't exactly going to be fake Olympic medals are they.

Rant over, I need to get a life.

Pettywoman Sun 07-Aug-16 22:33:22

Just me then.

Itis6oclocksomewhere Sun 07-Aug-16 22:41:11

Not just you!
I saw this earlier and thought it was a bit odd.

Pettywoman Sun 07-Aug-16 22:48:43

Thankyou, I feel vindicated.

HugItOut Sun 07-Aug-16 22:49:34

It's not just you. I think it's naff and unhygienic grin

Nadal does it to cups. It's dumb.

PlaidMaid Sun 07-Aug-16 22:55:05

Not just you, I made the same comment to my DH. Looks ridiculous - worst photo opp ever and makes me feel a bit queasy, like nails down a blackboard. They had the female road racers all biting their medals - why bite the silver and bronze?!

paxillin Sun 07-Aug-16 23:00:04

Hm, not much else you can do with a medal for a photo. You can lift a cup or wave a certificate. Wonder why they became so widespread with their lack of photogenicity.

WorraLiberty Sun 07-Aug-16 23:05:26

They're secretly hoping they're made of chocolate.

VotePedroPony Sun 07-Aug-16 23:18:28

Oh, thank you for saying this! I cringe at all those photos. Have an utterly irrational loathing of them.
YANBU!

icebearforpresident Sun 07-Aug-16 23:55:56

worra apparently there's an old wives tale when it comes to sport about the real medals being swapped for chocolate! They bite them to check they're the real one. I read about it in one of those '10 Olympic facts you never knew' type articles back in 2012.

It also drives me nuts though,definatley not just you OP.

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Aug-16 00:17:49

Christ, it would have to be a whole lot of chocolate to weigh the same as a gold medal.

I would definitely be hoping for the choccy version grin

Leeds2 Mon 08-Aug-16 00:22:11

It doesn't bother me in the slightest! Although I don't think I would do it, were I to win one.

BadToTheBone Mon 08-Aug-16 01:06:33

I hate it but the media shout for you to do it, you get caught up in the moment and do it.

icebearforpresident Mon 08-Aug-16 08:47:07

badtothebone you sound like you speak from experience

BadToTheBone Mon 08-Aug-16 09:00:26

Ha ha, I wish. Not me, but I know a few people who do.

specialsubject Mon 08-Aug-16 09:48:30

Annoys me too, what a bunch of sheep. Its like the girls that think a fish pout is sexy. No, sweetybumps, you just look dumb.

If the world needs more photos of you, just smile like a normal person.

HeddaLettuce Mon 08-Aug-16 11:21:51

I think when you've won an olympic medal you can do what the fuck you like with it.
How about you be the very best in the world at something then you can do the same?

Pettywoman Mon 08-Aug-16 11:35:02

I forgot about Nadal doing it to the cups. I've noticed that in the past and been annoyed by it too.

I'm such a misery guts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now