Talk

Advanced search

That I think our holiday home is haunted?

(24 Posts)
happyvalley4 Sun 07-Aug-16 17:58:50

We arrived in our 200 year old holiday cottage yesterday. As soon as we walked in it felt very cold but I shut all the windows and put the heating on and it seemed to improve. 

As it got dark I had a horrible feeling of foreboding and it wasn't helped when the front door just flung open! DH said it was just the wind and I calmed down a bit. 

I dreaded going to bed. The bedroom seems the worst. Every time I go in there the hairs go up on the back of my neck. Last night I lay there with my heart beating twenty to the dozen and then suddenly there was a bang on the bedroom window! Again DH reassured me it was just the wind. But despite that I didn't get a wink of sleep all night. 

We're here for 6 more days but I just want to go home. 

Please reassure me that it's all just my imagination. 

mrsfuzzy Sun 07-Aug-16 18:11:35

that sounds very weird, i'd see how things are tomorrow if you are really uncomfortable then go home, this isn't a holiday for either of you otherwise. women are more receptive to this stuff so dh might not be aware of your discomfort.

lilyboleyn Sun 07-Aug-16 18:13:12

It'll be dodgy electrics or something. If you're not used to old houses, they can seem spooky, and especially the bedrooms because that's generally a quiet area and you spend most of your time there in the dark.
Chin up.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 07-Aug-16 18:13:28

YABU it's imagination. If it was advertised as a new build built to resemble an old house you wouldn't feel the same.

Gottagetmoving Sun 07-Aug-16 18:16:38

YABU.
It's not haunted. There is no such thing.

pussinasda Sun 07-Aug-16 18:19:27

oh i'd love to stay somewhere like that, i love abit of ghosty bumps in the night nothing like abit of fear to get the adrenalin going

MidnightVelvettheSixth Sun 07-Aug-16 18:25:19

No it's not haunted, it's your imagination because it's unfamiliar and old smile

And even if it was, banging doors and windows is the absolute most that can happen, nothing can hurt you!

Oakmaiden Sun 07-Aug-16 18:27:11

It is your imagination. It really really is. I have done the same myself - you start to think about it and then everything makes it seem spookier and spookier.

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 07-Aug-16 18:42:49

Bang on window, wind, a small bird/confused bat/ insomniac stag beetle.

Get some tea lights, they used to be called night lights for a reason, put one beside you And go to sleep. You don't need to blow it out. You'll feel much better. Also a nice warm cup of milky tea or cocoa with a biscuit.

Old houses settle.

happyvalley4 Sun 07-Aug-16 19:03:12

I've just googled all the reviews I can find from previous holidaymakers and they've all given very high marks and said how lovely it was. Some have been 2 or 3 times. No mentions of "atmospheres" or banging noises so I think you're all right - it's just my imagination. Thanks for the reassurance everyone.

MaudeandHarold Sun 07-Aug-16 21:07:27

There's such a thing as Infrasound, it's very low frequency sound, undetectable to the human ear,but can be sensed by the body. When present, it makes you feel frightened,panicky hairs standing up etc....it's responsible for some ghost experiences....I watched a documentary about it. I have insomnia, so have watched a lot of documentaries grin google it and feel reassured!

MrsPurchase Sun 07-Aug-16 21:14:09

^^ this. Old house = dodgy electrics. Maude - were you watching the documentary 'Ghosts on the Tube'? They had a huge section on infrasound. In summary, all the areas on the tube that had reported ghostbusters style shenanigans had off the clock levels of infrasound.

Catsize Sun 07-Aug-16 21:15:55

Who ya gonna call?....

justilou Sun 07-Aug-16 21:17:40

Dammit, Catsize..... You stole my line!!! grin

Catsize Sun 07-Aug-16 21:19:24

Sorry just grin

TwistNshout Sun 07-Aug-16 21:20:02

Could the cottage be made from cob (mud and horse hair plastered over) rather than brick? Cob holds moisture and can make a house feel cool/damp even Summer. It has a very different feeling from a modern house.

acasualobserver Sun 07-Aug-16 21:22:26

No mentions of "atmospheres" or banging noises

The owners delete those pretty sharpish.

toldmywrath Sun 07-Aug-16 21:23:25

I know exactly what you mean OP. We've recently got back from a holiday cottage (200 years plus old) & I was really unsettled in the upstairs bedroom. Luckily there were 2 bedrooms, so I slept in a single bed with the dog. OH slept in the spooky room which had the most sumptuous comfy bed. I liked the rest of the cottage, but that one bedroom sent chills through me.

MaudeandHarold Sun 07-Aug-16 21:26:39

MrsPurchase I sure was. Terrifying and reassuring at the same time.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 07-Aug-16 21:29:35

Old houses do creak a lot, it is unsettling if you aren't used to it.

We stayed in a very old holiday cottage in the Yorkshire dales, the hall way was so long I never ever felt comfortable walking to bed at night. It felt spooky and wrong. Nothing I could put my finger on but I felt unnerved but the length of the upstairs corridor and it had a weird feeling about it. We still went back though! It was a gorgeous house and we loved it but it took on a life of its own in the dark.

It also had a weird locked door through to next door which was obviously a relic from once upon a time when it was one huge house.

samlovesdilys Sun 07-Aug-16 21:31:02

Oohh, sounds like a place I stayed. Do you get lights randomly turning on and off?? Shadows going past the door?? Feeling of constantly being watched?? I was freaked all week with DH telling me I was being stupid...then, as we left he admitted he was scared too...the worst was when we realised there was a window on the outside we couldn't find on the inside...not going there again!!

MrsPurchase Sun 07-Aug-16 21:41:36

Maude it was, wasn't it!
All so über explainable.....except for the 'faceless' blonde woman on the District Line.

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 08-Aug-16 10:36:40

I think I've stayed in a couple of 'haunted' holiday lets before. One was a Manor House that had been divided up into flats. We kept finding our dd on the bedroom floor asleep, even though she's never fallen out of bed before or since and dead bluebottles kept collecting on the windowsill of her bedroom, even though none of the windows were open. Even DH wanted to keep the landing light on at night, because it 'felt weird' (DH is a strapping 6ft 3 and not normally prone to flights of fancy).

The other place, we stopped in, gave me a peculiar feeling, just like there was something 'off'. Nothing more than that, but I told DH I wasn't stopping there again. It was by chance that I later found out someone had recently committed suicide there.

Even then, I don't actually believe in ghosts. It's probably down to the electrics as someone else has previously said, plus my ridiculously vivid imagination.

roseteapot101 Mon 08-Aug-16 10:49:15

i am pretty open minded i believe if theres proof fair enough if theres no proof fair enough also

but what your describing is new home fears they are completely normal

old buildings tend to be colder as modern homes have better insulation,old homes also tend to be drafty

the foreboding its our natural instincts to be wary of a new place especially if we are sleeping in it.This dates back to our race cave man days were you needed to be on the alert in a unfamiliar place in case of sudden danger

before we consider the supernatural consider the natural the science see if it can be explained.If it cant then start thinking ok this is a little odd but still research before considering this

In old houses you may find wild life living in the roof
birds might crash into a window
tree branch may have hit window
old building something loose

so many things to consider before considering the supernatural =)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now