Talk

Advanced search

This was just posted through my letterbox...

(138 Posts)
NamingIsTough Sun 07-Aug-16 14:51:34

It's real, it moves. What the fuck do I do!?

DerekSprechenZeDick Sun 07-Aug-16 14:52:36

You keep and you name it and you love it

Just posted?!

You need Stratters I think. She's a bird whisperer I think

RNBrie Sun 07-Aug-16 14:53:14

Fuckity fuck. I have no idea. I'd take it to the vet around the corner and let them deal with it.

Who would put that through a letterbox?? Wtf???

Lilicat1013 Sun 07-Aug-16 14:54:09

Contact the RSPCA or a local vets for advice?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wildflowermeadows Sun 07-Aug-16 14:54:35

Poor little thing, I would pop it in a box with a soft cloth of some sort and maybe see if you have a bird sanctuary in your area as they may be able to care for it. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along to advise you. Have you got a dropper to give it a drink?

NamingIsTough Sun 07-Aug-16 14:55:23

I know, how odd? Maybe they thought I was some kind of rescue? confused

TheSpottedZebra Sun 07-Aug-16 14:55:44

It's a very very very young starling I think.
I really doubt it will survive without immediate expert attention,I hate to say.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 07-Aug-16 14:56:47

No one that would take a bird to a rescue, would post it through a letterbox.

Have you cats or kids that might have disturbed a nest?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 07-Aug-16 14:56:48

I second Spotted. That's going to need some pretty urgent attention. Poor thing.

PeekAtChu Sun 07-Aug-16 14:57:37

Have you got a cat? Maybe your cat caught it and a neighbour chased them off it and then posted it to make a passive aggressive point, like the turd thrower in the other thread.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 07-Aug-16 14:57:56

Are you rural or city?

Euphemia Sun 07-Aug-16 14:58:38

shock

Pineapplemilkshake Sun 07-Aug-16 14:58:58

Aw poor little thing. I got some great advice here a few weeks ago when I found a baby house Martin ended upon our garden. I think the consensus was to put it near the nest it may have come from and hope the mum is looking for it. Not as easy though if it was posted through your letter box though.... A local wild bird rescue may be of help too. We fed ours a crushed dead spider and dripped water from a child's paintbrush. Although someone said it's easy for birds to aspirate water. Ours was a fledgling though, this looks way younger.

GobblersKnob Sun 07-Aug-16 14:59:17

Poor little thing, who the fuck does that?

Ginmakesitallok Sun 07-Aug-16 14:59:40

Very little chance it would survive. When a nest collapsed from our house the wee ones were bigger and looked near ready to leave nest, I called sspb (I think!) And someone came and picked them up.

wildflowermeadows Sun 07-Aug-16 14:59:50

www.garden-birds.co.uk/information/birdcare.htm

This may be helpful...

Stratter5 Sun 07-Aug-16 15:00:12

That's v v v young, and needs immediate care. For now pop it it a woolly hat with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel under - you should be able to feel warmth but not heat.

Then ring your vet, and ask them for help. Good luck flowers

NeedACleverNN Sun 07-Aug-16 15:00:29

Poor little thing.

Make sure it's warm. Pop it in a box with a towel and and a hot water bottle if it's a bit cold. Then find a vet or a rescue centre that deals with birds

Poor little thing. Can't believe it got posted!

NamingIsTough Sun 07-Aug-16 15:02:18

No cats.

Oh no sad DH is sorting it out a little box now. I'll look for some local places then, so a vet, or local bird place? We are more city.

Lumpylumperson Sun 07-Aug-16 15:02:32

Hoppinggreen Sun 07-Aug-16 15:06:10

vets will treat wildlife for free so find your nearest one with an out of hours.
Sadly from my own bird related experiences it's not looking very hopeful though

RosieSW Sun 07-Aug-16 15:08:03

IthinkIamsinking Sun 07-Aug-16 15:10:54

Don't bother with RSPCA..... they are worse than useless with abandoned baby birds..... They told me just to leave a bird not much older that the one in the pic where i found it next to a road in the pissing rain even though I said there had been no sign of mum for a while. Looks like that little one fell out of a nest. I tool mine to a local wildlife hospital where they cared for it and it grew into a very noisy crow. I went back to see him. smile

Silvercatowner Sun 07-Aug-16 15:11:56

vets will treat wildlife for free yes, they will wring its neck and put it out of its misery quickly and painlessly. Which is what I'd do, it has no chance of surviving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now