Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you sometimes feel terrible....

(11 Posts)
lightinmyheadyouinmyarms Sun 07-Aug-16 11:49:23

For others.

My dad's best friend died less than a year ago after putting up a brave fight against cancer. The family was obviously distraught as was My dad, who'd been his buddy for over 50 years was distraught.

I bumped into his daughter (who's the same age as me) last night and she was breaking her heart over her dad. I went to bed last night feeling so incredibly sad and I've woken up today feeling really down.

I've obviously been sad over the past year thinking about him but I feel truly awful for his daughter now.

Does anyone else get this? I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive sad

PaintYourWagon155 Sun 07-Aug-16 11:51:09

No I get this as well. I am quite sensitive (probably over sensitive sometimes).

SpecialAgentFreyPie Sun 07-Aug-16 11:55:03

I get this too. I often have to avoid the news as I get so distressed. Even crime books, if there's a rape I struggle a lot.

Birdsgottafly Sun 07-Aug-16 12:05:15

I also get this.

My Son-in-laws best friend was murdered, at the age of 22, I'd met him, but didn't know him, as such, but eight years on, I still feel an enormous sense of sadness.

I've lost quite a lot of people, both Parents/GPs/Uncles and my DH and when I hear of a Adult death, I feel for the family, in those days were they're planning the Funeral and it all seems a bit unreal.

I've cried over the murder of the happy smiling toddlers, in the news and it's stayed with me.

I don't want to think about the lives of the Refugees and have to turn over the reports about life in Syria. I also still think about the recent death of one of the few Pediatricians, working out there, with a sense of sadness.

minatiae Sun 07-Aug-16 18:12:30

very much so, yes

actually I feel bad for others way more than I ever do about myself when something bad happens to me.

lollipop28 Sun 07-Aug-16 19:25:59

I also get this too.

SoleBizzz Sun 07-Aug-16 19:27:30

Yes I feel others pain.

UmbongoUnchained Sun 07-Aug-16 19:33:04

I didn't until I became a mother. I had no sense of empathy at all before some reason but now I'll cry all day! I cried at a sad video on Facebook today before the sad bit had even happened grin

MaudeandHarold Sun 07-Aug-16 20:59:44

No, I'm incredibly over sensitive too. In fave, when I had counselling for agoraphobia et al, my counsellor said my problem was I was over-empatheticblush I cry at the news, when people tell me stories, when kids in my class tell me sad news....can't help it. Rather that than not giving a shit, mind you.

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Sun 07-Aug-16 21:09:34

Even more so since becoming a mum

Magicpaintbrush Sun 07-Aug-16 21:28:06

Better to have empathy for others than to not give a toss, even though it's painful. Your feelings of sympathy for the sorrows of others show that you are a caring person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now