Talk

Advanced search

To think old-fashioned cameras were a lot easier

(12 Posts)
notagainnellie Sun 07-Aug-16 11:10:53

Think I'm failing at modern life and it's probably my fault, but what are you supposed to do with the photos on your phone? I have tried dropbox, but it never worked. Now I supposedly have onedrive with my Microsoft phone, but that doesn't work either - can't make the computer synch with the phone. I have lost a year's worth of photos off an old phone - they weren't backed up because I couldn't get dropbox to work.

I don't really use FB, but I know people use it for photos so I've been trying to upload them on there. It has taken 20 minutes to upload 9 photos and I have hundreds on my phone. And what would happen to them in the future anyway?

I don't want to sound like an idiotic luddite, but I remember the pleasure and anticipation of getting films developed and then they were there in your hands. I still love looking through old family photo albums but I don't have an equivalent. I know it's my own fault and others manage it, but how?? It's a thing that ex used to sort - ffs how hard can it be? I have spent the last 2 hours trying to sort it, and have the grand total of 9 photos on the pc!

wasonthelist Sun 07-Aug-16 11:20:52

You can upload to a company and get prints sent to you if you like.

You can store them on a computer by plugging phone into computer and copying.

I back up onto an external drive and I keep a backup at my Mum's too.

Flickr offers free online storage - no doubt others do too.

I delete about 60% of what I take which is the biggest advantage - in the old days about 60% of my eagerly awaited pics were crap!

I have digital pics going back to 2001 they have survived various relationship breakups etc

The online services like iCloud are just a way to try and twist more cash out of you as they don't offer much free storage.

maddening Sun 07-Aug-16 12:17:00

Plug your phone using the USB from your charger into your computer, use the file Explorer to access your phone from your computer and download your pics to the computer- get a backup hard drive (not expensive) and save a copy there too. You can then choose pics and order prints online

AverageGayLad Sun 07-Aug-16 12:24:23

I used to love holding the massive camera! And sometimes as a treat I got to pick the developed film up and have first pick of the bad photos!

sealmane Sun 07-Aug-16 12:31:03

YANBU! I was on holiday recently using my fantastic new camera phone. Except the screen was too dark to see in the sunshine, bringing point and click to a whole new level of randomness. And it kept logging out unless I got on with it. A total faff.

mumeeee Sun 07-Aug-16 12:42:14

You should be able to sync your phone with the computer. Connect it to the computer with your USB cable and options should come up.
Or you can take it to Tesco and they will print the photos for you.

oaadc Sun 07-Aug-16 12:52:21

I use the photo printing kiosks in Boots and Tesco. They give step by step instructions and are brilliant - have all of my 'good' photos printed smile

Egosumquisum Sun 07-Aug-16 13:12:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Egosumquisum Sun 07-Aug-16 13:13:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notagainnellie Sun 07-Aug-16 15:14:27

I think a major difficulty I have is that I don't have a usb cable as Microsoft don't give you one. Obviously I could get one, but previous experience with these tells me I will lose it/muddle it up with a load of obsolete ones etc etc

I am being stupidly negative but am just very frustrated now. This morning I created a Flickr account and used my phone to avoid the need to get the photos onto my laptop. It was easy. However, each time I try to upload a photo it says 'page not found'. It's beyond irritating...

Lovefromhull Sun 07-Aug-16 15:16:23

Does another cable work? Or you can take the memory card out and put that into your pc.

Isetan Sun 07-Aug-16 17:49:51

Seriously a USB cable for your phone is as cheap as chips, buy one! I own a Mac and a

Can you not ask someone with more experience to help? Paying for a cheap as chips micro USB cable is a damn site cheaper compared to the costs of buying film and developing them, not to mention the time it took and the disappointment. Actually, everyone I know probably has several lying around that they don't use, so if you don't want to put your hand in your pocket you could ask around.

It sounds like you need to instal a program (there's probably one already installed) that as soon as you attach your phone via the USB cable it will sync photos automatically. Microsoft also has a cloud service which would allow you to sync over wifi. Sorry I can't be specific but I have Apple products and I sync photos over the cloud because I take too many photos to be arsed manually syncing them.

I own Applie products so I sync using iCloud and

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now